what mic do you record your cab with?

jcourtjr

• Members

Originally posted by Randy Van Sykes

one 57 off axis...always have...don't know why.
:wave:

I dont use just one mic, but I love how 57s sound off axis pointed just about where the cone meets the dust cap. I find them to sound really good right there.!

Then Ill stick something dead on in the middle of the cone of annother speakers to get some more bass/highs.

• Members

Originally posted by Randy Van Sykes

one 57 off axis...always have...don't know why.
:wave:

Yeah, that's the way I like the sm57 positioned too. They kinda sound a little honky straight at the speaker, but if you position them angled at the cone they sound great.

• Members

I think 2 mics is a really nice way to record and capture a nice sound from the cab. Anything more to me gets a little to complicated sometimes, and you can run into phase problems FAST.

My fav mic combo's so far -

1) Vintage Sennheiser md421 off axis of the cone, and a sm57 directly on axis of the cone, has meat and sizzle, lets you mix the two to taste for you tone...

2 ) 2 sm57 one directly on axis, one pointed in on the side of the first 57 So that they kinda look like a V , it's a pretty agressive tone and nice for metal

3) beta sm57 pointed barely off axis of the cone, and a large diaphram condensor 2 or 3 back from the speaker... Interesting for leads!

• Members

So far I've used the following mics on my speakers-

Shure SM57

Sennheiser e609

Sennheiser MD421

Sony C800G

Sennheiser e604

Audio Technica 4040

Audio Technica 4033

The top four were used at the same time (:eek:) for the EP on my band's website. I found myself using the 421's signal the most, for clarity, strength, and balls. The 609 was nice to refine the highs and lows, it has kind of a scooped sound to it with a tight bottom. The 57 was very low in the mix, it is very middy sounding to me (even at different positions on the speaker) and kind of paper-y, if that makes any sense. The Sony was used as a close-room mic (about 4-5 feet away) and captured a rediculous midrange that I'd never heard in the amp before.

Personally I don't like the SM57 much. It's a champ, and it works, sure (pun not intended). But there are better options for my guitar specific recording situation. The 57 might complement another amp that has less or a different midrange.

The 421 won out, IMO, if I had to use one mic it would be that one. It just sounded the best right off the bat. Best reproduction of the tone with the clarity I was looking for.

I wish I could have gotten my hands on a Royer, it would have been over......

• Members

Originally posted by MrKnobs

I usually set up a Senn 609 right up against the speaker and a Royer 121 a foot back. I keep whichever one sounds better.

Have you tried just throwing the Royer right in front of the speaker? I know its a ribbon and you're supposed to be careful...but :eek: :eek: it sounds so good. Sooooo goood. Rediculous clarity. Its like having the amp everywhere you have the recording. Imagine a plexi head in the trunk of your car powering your speakers, or in your living room powering your home stereo...LOL. Intense.

Archived