So I Played a Herbert Today at GC

TexasDeathRide

• Members
Originally posted by thegame

I know from countless online testimonials and personal experience that Peter is a GREAT guy, but are you calling him Sir like he's royalty or something like that?

Yes. Peter Diezel as far as I am concerned is ELECTRIC GUITAR AMP ROYALTY. My opinion, my statement, my belief, my experience.

Thank you very much.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Originally posted by JackBootedThug

You guys are only telling Peter you love him because of the picture he posted awhile back. You know, the shirtless, stoned, frisbee throwing in the park, picture.

j/k:D I love you to Peter. When it comes to amps, your the jedi master!

LOL! Good one. :)

• Members
Originally posted by JackBootedThug

You guys are only telling Peter you love him because of the picture he posted awhile back. You know, the shirtless, stoned, frisbee throwing in the park, picture.

j/k:D I love you to Peter. When it comes to amps, your the jedi master!

:eek:

More pics ?

:D

• Members
Originally posted by [EB] Rob

Hmm.. I owned a triple recto before switching to Diezel Herbert. I have to say that I'm very content with it. It adds something that I couldn't find in the recto..

I tried my Herbert on another cab, though. I compared the Diezel cab to a Bogner V30, and the Bogner won by a mile...

You say you prefer the Herbert over the Recto, thats cool. Therefore you have something good to say about 1 particular Diezel product; again thats great.

But landsakes, you actually prefer another brand over Diezel for your cabinet choice? Heresy! You heretic! I wonder when the Diezel police will lynch you for stating something that is incongruous with their own philosophies.

• Members
Originally posted by Bumble

Well, here in the sissy-car continent, it's a different story. Both can be had for similar prices.

See but you guys probably plug into Mesa Rectifiers and think "Geez, this sounds good, but not twice as good as the Engl Savage over there that costs half as much."

It's all relative mang. ;)

• Members

Time to get out your German/English translation book Peter. I said the Diezel's have VERY, VERY good build quality, BUT I've seen others with even HIGHER build quality. I guess I should quantify that with a IMO, but the others who I showed the amps to were of the same opinion as well.

That is not "slamming" your products at all. You mention justifing the sound of an amp; as I mentioned before my post was not about the sound qualities whatsover, only the "built like a tank" comment which has nothing to do with sound.

Get it?

Dear thegame

Please no offense about my bad English. I do my best.
And tell me more about HIGHER quality.
Give me a lesson.

Pete ;)

• Members

But landsakes, you actually prefer another brand over Diezel for your cabinet choice? Heresy! You heretic! I wonder when the Diezel police will lynch you for stating something that is incongruous with their own philosophies.

Good night :bor:

For the Germans

incongruous = nicht

• Members

Diezel build quality is very good, but I'd stop short of calling it exceptional. Some amps that have much better build quality include Wizard, Roccaforte and Mako. These are truley built like tanks.

I've worked as an electrical engineer in a Fortune 500 company for 24 years. Please explain to me specifically what makes the amps mentioned above higher in build quality then Diezel. I am sure you can give me, Peter and the rest of us a lesson in this subject.

Thanks,
Dave

• Members
Originally posted by TexasDeathRide

I went to the North Dallas guitar center on 75 and was able to plug in and jam on a herbert through a diezel speaker loaded 4x12. I have to say i was impressed, but not $4100 impressed. Everyone who talks about them around here is basically right. The amp sounds like a very produced high gain mesa with rectifierish sag but it still plays tighter than my triple rec. The gain on channel 3 was over the top and the mid cut put chanel three into nu metal territory instantly. I still couldn't hear anything that said, this warrants twice the price of a recto. Maybe I didn't hear it in the right space or at the right distance from the cab but I went home, cranked the recto and my gas for the herbert died.

The difference? The mush, buzz and fizz of the Recto series cannot be dialed out. But, you can make the Herbert sound like anything from Robben Ford's Dumble to scooped metalhead mayhem. Plus, its clean channel puts the Rectos to shame. If you can't hear this, then you deserve the Mesa.

• Members
Originally posted by JimAnsell

i have a friend who keeps saying "i sell all this {censored} and buy a diezel".

some people think that just because its like the most expensive high gain amp out there that it is automaticly the best.

i'll take my fja 5150 over any other high gain amp.

when i want some other flavor, or premium cleans, i always have my piece of {censored} boogie mark IIC+

Another guy who like mush, buzz and fizz...

• Members
Originally posted by maz_master

The difference? The mush, buzz and fizz of the Recto series cannot be dialed out. But, you can make the Herbert sound like anything from Robben Ford's Dumble to scooped metalhead mayhem. Plus, its clean channel puts the Rectos to shame. If you can't hear this, then you deserve the Mesa.

Have you played one yet?

• Members
Originally posted by Marshall Freak

I've never seen anyone overseas say that.

I've got a Dual Recto, and I've had two others. A friend of mine has a Herbert, and given a choice, I'd take the Herbert hands down. Nothing wrong with Rectos, but the Herbert has a Stellar Clean, great mid gain, and it kills the Rectos for high gain.

Taste is subjective, and luckily for you, you have the amp you prefer.
:thu:

Another guy (in additon to Def_pearl_Pilot) who has ears! Thank God.

• Members
Originally posted by J.B.

When I had my '92 Recto, I compared it side by side with a friends Herbert. We played the Recto first and both thought it sounded great. Then we played and Herbert and WOW!! Then we went back to the Recto, and it didn't sound very good at all.

This is the consensus among those who've played both, side by side. Personally, I've owned a Road King and, even without A/B'ing with my other amps, could not get it out of my house fast enough. What a POS.

• Members
Originally posted by steve10358

One of the horrendous things about the GC/Diezel deal is the fact that countless message boards will now be littered with people that spent 2 minutes at quiet volumes and $500 credit limits that want to bash it and claim how their "X" amp smoked it.

Sorry folks, but this is an amp that takes tweaking and understanding. To simply write it off as a high polished recto is bull{censored}.

And it has nothing to do with the fact I own one. I could easily sell mine and be happy with my JMP... and still have the same opinions. I've lent my Herbert out to a few and everyone seems to agree that it takes a day or two to REALLY understand what it is and how to get what you need out of it.

NO ONE ever said a Diezel was great because of the price. It's great because it reacts like a single channel amp, has an infinite aray of tones in it and is built like a tank.

"It's not for me" posts are fine, but give the amp an honest chance, instead of having a predisposition against it. To me, anyone who simply writes insults on the price, or lame comparisons to manufacturers DOESN'T GET IT.

No one ever posts a real amp review anymore.

S.

I'd bet my left ball that most of the negative opinions come from 16 year olds who've grown up with the mushy, fuzzy, inarticulate sound of the Rectos played by their death metal heros blasting through their parents' stereos. What can you expect?

• Members
Originally posted by maz_master

I'd bet my left ball that most of the negative opinions come from 16 year olds who've grown up with the mushy, fuzzy, inarticulate sound of the Rectos played by their death metal heros blasting through their parents' stereos. What can you expect?

Have you played one yet?