Sound at home, what do you use?

• Members

I use a dvd player with the audio jacked into my little MX8fx. Plug a mic into the mixer and my keyboard. this lets me thow on a CD and be able to play along,,, typically i use headphones, but do have some Mackie 450 powered speakers hooked up to the mixer. the ability to play along with a CD is great for learning a song.

• Members

I try to record something every night. So I usually plug them into my Yamaha AW1600 recorder and listen to the M Audio monitors that are connected to the recorder. When I am not recording I plug my stuff into either a Kustom 200 head and 2x15 cabinet. I can plug four different things into the Kustom at the same time. Every now and then I use a small tube guitar amplifier like a Fender Deluxe Reverb or Princeton.

• Members

I use the Sennheiser HD280s now, which I'll always keep for recording purposes. But the sound is a bit tiring and I miss my AKG K240 Studios and I think I'll eventually look for another pair. Those things were a delight.

As for monitors, it's my Event monitors, which are OK for listening, just not good studio monitors...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Tascam VL-5A. Sounds great. I had a professional keyboardist over one day and he bought one right after.

I hate the KRK RP5 (haven't heard any other). My brother has it, I tried it in my room set up exactly as my Tascam and they sound like they're covered with pillows.

• Members

For whatever reasons (I guess the whole flatness business), I find my keyboard stuff not very exciting through my HS50m monitors and end up not really writing parts that interest me when using them. For compositional purposes, I'm better off in my bedroom (that has high ceilings and a cool natural reverb) with my crappy computer speakers that give whatever I play a fun, colored sound. Obviously, I go back to the monitors when mixing and recording.

Archived