The Greatest Zeppelin album of them all?

Sir Don

• Members

Originally posted by LedZep77

Nobody will agree with me but my favorite is Led Zeppelin III

Bron-Y-Aur Stomp is one of my favorite Zeppelin songs of all time:thu:

Ain't no companion like a blue-eyed merle...

Kenny_Standing_Front__Left_Side.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Bopper

But pound for pound Presence gives Physical Graffitti a run for its money. This was Bonham's best period, IMO. I can't even listen to LZ II and IV any more.

Even though Bonham really stands out on Moby Dick, Misty Mountain Hop, Rock and Roll, When the Levee Breaks? :freak: I'm sure there are others but those easily come to my mind.

• Members

Number I,

Mainly because it was just pure classic rock without a bunch of effects or processing. Just the basics, a tele, supro, a bass player, a drummer, and a singer. 4 guys without money, low cost budget guitars and amps and a whole lotta talent.

Today we have amazing amplifiers, pickups, effects, strings, yes I said strings, computer warp processing, digital quadraceptic mondrathomials, space age recording studios................. I bet the best bands today would sound horrible playing thru their equipment from almost 40 years ago.

• Members

Originally posted by whoop

LOL! punks listening to zep? are you high? zep is a crappy corporate band, the dead kennedys, for example, actually wrote about social issues and other important stuff. "lynch the landlord," for example again, is a great song.

all zep ever wrote is crappy love songs and mystical mumbojumbo... when they weren't plagerizing from old blues guys, that is. no punk wants to hear that vacuous tripe.

have fun being a fool. having seen Jello Biafra twice (with the Melvins), he's a friggin idiot who, like most people politically in this country today, only listen to what supports the ideas they already had and can't possibly accept opposition. his dumbass social ranting made me walk out on one of my favorite bands... twice.

anyways... clearly the answer is Houses of the Holy. No Quarter AND the Rain Song? win.

• Members

II for me, it was the 1st album I heard and what introduced to to Zep.

For me its:

II

Houses of the Holy

I

IV

Physical Graffiti

Presence

III

In Through the Out Door

Coda

Some albums took a while to grow on me. I used to hate III, now I think its pretty good.

• Members

Originally posted by blackba

II for me, it was the 1st album I heard and what introduced to to Zep.

For me its:

II

Houses of the Holy

I

IV

Physical Graffiti

Presence

III

In Through the Out Door

Coda

Some albums took a while to grow on me. I used to hate III, now I think its pretty good.

So close to me. Right now I'm more like

Houses of the Holy

II

I

IV (though maybe because it's overplayed)

Presence

III

In Through the Out Door

Coda

Physical Graffiti

I just never got into PG and I love HOTH. It's a true masterpiece.

• Members

Originally posted by TheAtomicJeff

Even though Bonham really stands out on Moby Dick, Misty Mountain Hop, Rock and Roll, When the Levee Breaks?
:freak:
I'm sure there are others but those easily come to my mind.

Yep. His stuff on PG, Presence, CODA, and In Thru The Out Door was a level above their earlier stuff, IMO. I'd put the later stuff up against any of the earlier stuff. Listen to "In My Time of Dying". Then go try to find a comparable performance in the earlier years. Don't get me wrong. Bonham is just the best drummer ever hands down, IMO. Anything and everything he did was stellar. I just believe he had a better late period.;)

• Members

Houses of the Holy is tied with IV. I just can't decide.

I did flip through all my LZ on iTunes, wow I haven't listened to much of the later stuff all that much.

I got into LZ with the BBC sessions discs, so I'll always have a soft spot for those.

• Members

+ 20

Originally posted by TheAtomicJeff

Physical Graffiti without a doubt. Even if it were released as a single album containing Custard Pie, The Rover, In my time of dying, Houses of the holy, Trampled Underfoot and Kashmir - it
still
would have been the best. But as a double album, you also get In the light, Down by the Seaside, The Wanton Song, Black country woman, and others.

Zeppelin at its peak.
:thu::cool:

Archived