Fingernails

ElectricPuppy

• Members

I just clipped my nails yesterday, and playing the keys today I found the ends of my fingers getting sore near the nail. Evidently I went too long since clipping them last. I know this will clear itself up in a day or two, but its annoying.

So just out of curiosity, how often do you heavy key pounders clip your nails?

• Members

I bite my nails. I know, nasty habit... It calms me though :idk:.

I find long fingernails annoying when playing. My music teacher always had long nails, and you could always hear them when they hit the keys... I couldn't stand it for some reason :D

• Members

tru story: one of my exs always wanted to paint my nails so i let her do my toenails once. that same week i really badly sprained my ankle at work and decided to do workers comp for a week just to be safe. you should have seen the look on the doctors face when i took my socks off i was so embarrased

I just clipped my nails yesterday, and playing the keys today I found the ends of my fingers getting sore near the nail. Evidently I went too long since clipping them last. I know this will clear itself up in a day or two, but its annoying.

I clipped my nails today.

And the second string of my geetar got stuck between my left index finger's nail and the finger, after a failed string bend. Blood. Pain. Not fun. :cry:

How often do I clip them?

As long as they are uncomfortably long to write, type in the computer, playing keyboards... or plainly start gathering dirt :D

• Members

You might consider using a file instead of clipping. I play some finger style guitar as well as keyboard -- I keep the nails on might right hand a little longer than those on the left. I use a nail file once or twice a week. Takes longer than clipping but easier to control how much nail you remove. Plus, no jagged edges when you're done.

• Members

I clip when I click.

That's the right hand. I have three nails on my right hand acrylicked for geetar (very happy with this arrangement) and trim the left very short. When the right hand nails get a bit long, they interfere with piano and I file them back leaving very little nail but with a bit of a point.

• Members

Probably weekly or bi-weekly. I end up bashing bashing and breaking my nails if I don't keep them short. I'm a hard player, and my piano has heavy action. My nails also get in the way of my technique-- I hate playing with long nails.

I have to be really careful about cutting them. I also leave a little bit of white. I have to file the corners or they will cut me when I play!

• Members

I'm a nail chewer too, not that it matters since I don't have pro level playing chops. Heck, I don't even remember the last time I had a nail within a 1/4" of my finger tip. Great for knobbing, terrible for pulling knobs off or picking up coins!

• Members

I have a less than scientific feeling that a disproportionate number of musicians are nail biters. Dunno why, maybe extra neural energy that needs to be shunted off somewhere?

Here's an interesting idea for a poll:

Are you a nailbiter?

[] Yes

[] No

[] Yes, but not mine

[] ...ya mean, fingernails?

I'd post it, but I don't make a habit of going around starting spurious threads.

• Members

Dimes are the worst but I usually laugh at myself for struggling.

I have to use a credit card or something of the sort to get coins or can pop tabs to work! I feel your pain... but I can't stop chewing!

Do you hide your nails from you co-workers? I try.

• Members

...can pop tabs...

No, really, pop tabs are no prob. Just press down on the center of the top of the can with your thumb, & the end of the tab rises enough to get your fingertip under it. I can do it one handed (on a table top).

Of course, this won't work if you have hugely thick gorilla fingers.

• Members

Haha, interesting thread.

Not a nail biter, clip nails once a week, anything longer gets annoying. No dexterity issues with picking up coins, no pain after clipping (clip just at whites, file afterwards to smooth corners, takes 5 minutes once a week).

But I did get calluses not playing bass for awhile then coming back to it. And my hands do get tired from over-playing, esp on guitar and bass... I tend to push past the pain in the heat of the moment, not good, I know. A couple times I thought I had carpal tunnel syndrome, but I back off now if too much pain, unlike my younger dumber years when my endurance and enthusiasm was much higher.

So dumb I even occasionally broke bass strings wailing out Geddy solos. Funny, they don't go pling like guitar strings, they just go softly pfloop and all of a sudden they're limp.. :poke:

Archived