Wisdom teeth coming out... forget drug?

rememberduane

• Members

My wisdom teeth are coming out later this month, and they're not putting me under. They're going to give me a drug they say will make me forget the whole thing, but I'm not sure what it is. Could anyone tell me what the drug is specifically, and how it works? I really don't like the idea of being conscious through that.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have never known anyone to have a wisdom tooth out WITHOUT a general anaesthetic. My sister had all of hers out when she was about 17 and she was knocked out cold.

No freakin' way would I want to be awake through all that stabbing and yanking by a former grease monkey let loose with a monkey wrench!

(the above statement about former grease monkeys is entirely fictional and does not mean any link be it fact or fiction!)

• Members

I was knocked out FAST. Don't remmeber a thing until I tried to take the cotton out of my mouth. it was the most hopeless feeling ever. My girlfriend came to visit me and brought me ice cream and when i tried to kiss her goodbye I couldn't even feel it. She laughed.

• Members

You are probably older and your wisdom teeth are fully grown in. It is very common to not be knocked out if they are just pulling the teeth. If they had to actually cut you open then knocking you out is a must. I had my wisdom teeth taken out while I was awake and it was no big deal. You will actually recover with almost no swelling at all. Mine was a piece of cake. Don't worry about it man. Most people just are so scared of the whole ordeal that they insist on being put out. The process only took like 20 mins and I drove home. I never even needed any type of drugs. This all was done at one of the best dentist offices in Warner Robins.

• Members

I had all 4 of mine pulled last December. I talked to the Oral surgeon about staying awake during the procedure. He said that it was my decision, and he had let patients stay "awake", but it would not be a pleasant experience. So I chose to be knocked out.

Went in, sat down, the anesthesiologist stuck me with the needle, and the next thing I knew was waking up in the recovery room.

Maybe it has to do with age. I think the older you are the more tricky it can be extracting the teeth.

Anyways, after it was over, got some Oxycodone for the pain, which really only lasted a couple days.

• Members

Originally posted by StratTone

You are probably older and your wisdom teeth are fully grown in. It is very common to not be knocked out if they are just pulling the teeth. If they had to actually cut you open then knocking you out is a must. I had my wisdom teeth taken out while I was awake and it was no big deal. You will actually recover with almost no swelling at all. Mine was a piece of cake. Don't worry about it man. Most people just are so scared of the whole ordeal that they insist on being put out. The process only took like 20 mins and I drove home. I never even needed any type of drugs. This all was done at one of the best dentist offices in Warner Robins.

I had to have mine cut out and was awake the whole time. I was 20. I could feel them do it, just no pain.

Same for my wife who was 22 when she had hers.

I'd NEVER be put out for something that minor.

The healing and dry socket is the worst part. Good pain pills and 2 days later good as new.

• Members

I'd have opted to be awake for mine, but I was told it was necessary for me to be knocked out. Mine were fully grown in and completely screwy--lots of extra cutting, digging etc. required. Lots of swelling too afterwards.

If yours have grown in relatively uneventfully and aren't all twisted or the roots aren't going wacky, it might be similar to getting fillings done. In that case, being knocked out is unnecessary and will weaken you. General anesthetic can really leave you weak; I personally hate it.

• Members

Originally posted by JamesPeters

I'd have opted to be awake for mine, but I was told it was necessary for me to be knocked out. Mine were fully grown in and completely screwy--lots of extra cutting, digging etc. required. Lots of swelling too afterwards.

If yours have grown in relatively uneventfully and aren't all twisted or the roots aren't going wacky, it might be similar to getting fillings done. In that case, being knocked out is unnecessary and will weaken you. General anesthetic can really leave you weak; I personally hate it.

Good point. Mine grew inpretty straight. Most of the swelling is due to how much force the have to use to get them out. Like bato said. This is a minor deal so no nead to be put out.

• Members

i was awake, mouth numbed. it was pretty intense, that's for sure. even with novacaine you can still hear your bones grinding and teeth breaking, definitely an experience. they prescribed vicodine for me which i took none of, because i'm not a sissy girl. if i were you i wouldnt take a drug that makes me "forget the whole thing" that's just sketch city.

• Members

Run, don't walk, RUN to some other surgeon.

{censored} that stay-awake-through-it stuff.

My doc said "I'm going to count to 10 and then you'll wake up and it'll all be over... 1..."

And that was it. I woke up, it was over, I was numb, someone drove me home... good times.

Don't stay awake. It's not worth it.

• Members

You guys are scaring the piss out of me. But yeah.. they're all grown in, straight except the bottom left is somewhat pushing into my arch and the bottom right is a bit compacted.

Anybody know anything more about general anesthetic? Do you dream?

They WILL give me hardcore pain meds right? I'm a sissy, and I know that when I broke my wrist, Codeine barely helped at all.

• Members

During the procedure it'd probably only make you uncomfortable that you hear what they're doing and feel the pressure as they remove the teeth. I wouldn't expect to be in pain during the procedure. My recent root canal was painless and people have told horror stories about them. (Except near the end when the local was wearing off...but I just let them finish without saying anything because it wasn't that big a deal. Pain isn't a big deal a lot of the time if you don't let it be.)

And for those of you who are all freaking out saying "OMGZ NO, DON'T LET THE DENTIST DO THAT", well if you haven't had it done under local then how do you know how bad it would be? It's nice that you had the "convenience" of being knocked out. That "convenience" was anything but convenient to me, having to recover from being weak for two days. (There's a reason they insist a friend drive you home--you can barely walk and you need someone to catch you if you fall, etc....and you might not even be capable of giving coherent directions to your house.) I'd much rather have just dealt with being uncomfortable and "hearing snapping sounds" (etc.), then walked out on my own steam and gone about my life again. :)

I don't think I had any dreams while I was under, except possibly a short one as I was coming out of it. It was less of a natural sleep, and it didn't feel very nice going under. It's sort of creepy.

• Members

Don't be scared, but it sounds like maybe you have a low pain threshold, given the wrist thing.

If that's the case, you definitely want to be unconscious.

If you have a really skilled surgeon, wisdom teeth aren't that bad, and neither will the swelling afterward.

But I would still insist on being sedated past consciousness.

It's possible they're just going to give you a light morphine IV drip... which will {censored}ing knock you out, you won't know what state you're in for a day and a half.

My best friend was awake, but on morphine for his wisdom teeth. He said he felt so good, he wanted them to take ALL his teeth out...!

• Members

I got 2 removed at 26. I asked for a pill instead of a local, because I'm paranoid about getting teabagged when unconcious.

I took one tiny pill 30min before the extraction. I was worried because the pill was smaller than a tic-tac. 15min after takin it, I could barely string sentences together. I never took anything that knocked me on my ass like that.

The oral surgeon had to crack and break both teeth to get them out, because they had grown so deep. I felt no pain during the surgery but could hear the snapping.

My lower jaw hurt like a mother{censored}er for two weeks. I couldn't take the Hydrocodone at work, so it wasn't exactly fun.

• Members

Originally posted by luke978

I got 2 removed at 26. I asked for a pill instead of a local, because I'm paranoid about getting teabagged when unconcious.

LMAO:D

hope the original poster has a better experience than the one I have had for the last week............

• Members

Originally posted by Sambo_The_Secon

I have never known anyone to have a wisdom tooth out WITHOUT a general anaesthetic.

i had mine out under local anaesthetic.. the doc wanted to put me under general.. but i said no... it was unpleasant.. but i survived.. everyone was telling me i was crazy.. but i'm glad i had the local

Archived