Bands that have awful live tones.

Detonator

• Members

Not a fan at all of Korn or their tone,but I saw them live once and their tone was nothing like the recordings. No meat at all,even in the low end. Just a little screechy high end in the background. Saw EVH a number of times in their day too and his tone was pretty inconsistent.

• Members

to be fair...a guitarist could have a great sound coming off his amp, but if the sound guy eq's it badly (or a number of other factors between the amp and the mains), it'll sound like {censored}ty tone.

the only time you can really tell, is if the cabs aren't mic'ed, and it's just coming off the stage.

scott.

• Members

Originally posted by warplanegrey

to be fair...a guitarist could have a great sound coming off his amp, but if the sound guy eq's it badly (or a number of other factors between the amp and the mains), it'll sound like {censored}ty tone.

the only time you can really tell, is if the cabs aren't mic'ed, and it's just coming off the stage.

scott.

+1 to this.

I think that sound guys have a lot to do with it. I also think that how well an amp cuts live has to do with them too.

• Members
Originally posted by The Jeff

Hate Eternal had pretty bad tone when I saw them open for Arch Enemy. A thin buzzy harsh mess.
:freak:

I think I saw them on the same tour. I saw them in a pretty small club (the Rock Bottom ??? I can't remember the exact name) and both bands tone was just a wall of noise.

• Members

Originally posted by zort muckerman

I saw dillinger escape plan live. I couldnt hear the guitars at all. Im not sure if it was the sound guy because the other bands that were playing (nightmare of you and AFI) sounded great. DEP were using mesa's by the way.

I've heard them live and they sounded great... but not every gig is the same.

It's worse when it's not the tone, but the lack of talent that becomes apparant live. Some bands make you scratch your head...

• Members

Basically every band that plays in San Antonio sounds awful, because the venues blow. :freak:

Originally posted by bob the dentist

Coheed and Cambria, before they switched to Ubers.

Claudio had such scooped Rec tone that you could only hear him when he did a pinch harmonic, and even that was only as loud as the bass
:o

I have a good live recording from a show I saw them at. It does actually sound like that.

Originally posted by zort muckerman

I saw dillinger escape plan live. I couldnt hear the guitars at all. Im not sure if it was the sound guy because the other bands that were playing (nightmare of you and AFI) sounded great. DEP were using mesa's by the way.

I'm sure it was the sound man. With metal bands around here, the sound guys tend to destroy the guitars. They scoop the mids and turn them into a bassy fart with ear piercing high end.

I saw them in San Antonio and Austin not too long ago. When they played in San Antonio, they blew the power on the PA somehow, so I got to hear just their stage mix for a bit, and it was actually quite good. They sounded better out of the PA when I saw them in Austin. I could hear everything they were playing. It wasn't the most cutting sound, but it was fairly tight and clear.

• Members

Originally posted by Megadeth7684

The Haunted and Shadows Fall, both bands were playing Kranks though.

Its funny you say that, the same night as cryptopsy ewas on some local hardcore bands and a couple from the states (i think) were playing all using kranks...suprisingly thir sound was actually pretty decent, at least it was better than cryptopsys

Archived