September new gear thread

Tomkeen

• Members

Sort of new-ish, in a way:

On Saturday my MacBook Pro magically stopped working, even though I had used it without issue that morning. Monday I took it to the Genius Bar at the Apple store, and yes indeed, the logic board had died.

Lucky me, my Apple Care extended warranty is still barely in effect. It ends in less than 2 months. So I get a new logic board for free and can continue using my softsynths and DAW!

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, I just spent about 20 minutes trying to get sound from the computer to come out output 3/4. No go; I think it only monitors the inputs but the manual is silent on this.

That said, I'm using this to replace my x-station* and I was startled by how much better it sounds; I thought the x-station was fine, but the Saffire has way more clarity and depth and, I think, better bass. Plus it's absolutely silent. Very nice piece of kit.

* I found myself hauling around the x-station to gigs just to use the usb/midi and audio card. I'm a piano player, really, and all the knobby goodness is no great use to me nor is the very nice but very not-piano semi-weighted action. So I'm retiring the x-station until I decide whether to sell it. My setup sure looks neater.

• Members
Figured it was time for my first microphone (for recording my amp and other stuff). So I snagged one of these from Best Buy:

shure-sm57-1.jpg

Ended up getting a good deal on it along with this:

76599_p.jpg

Haven't opened Reason 5 yet though, thinking about taking it back.. anyone else made the upgrade? Reports?

Just finished upgrading to Reason 5 and Record 1.5. Adds a ton of new features (Neptune), instrument(s) (Kong) and small tweaks to the sequencer and workflow (Blocks) that make all the difference. Highly recommended. Propellerhead lost me at Reason 4 but, I'm back with this upgrade.

• Members
No problem with latency here. Sounds A1 and covers my recording needs to a tee.

Every time I put it in I believe "DAW mode" there's some serious delay. I wanted to try out all its' effects but the really noticeable latency is a turnof and I have the DSP version. :confused:

• Members

I posted too soon in the "September No New Gear" thread. Finally fulfilled a dream tonight by getting one of these off Craigslist:

[YOUTUBE]evZ65RAnnBc[/YOUTUBE]

The North American version was a Multivox Multi Echo. 36 seconds of sound-on sound-tape delay with spring reverb. Yay! The Mellotron is a very happy boy tonight.

[YOUTUBE]hCblQALOc8U[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Wow, great delay. How much did that run you? 36 seconds is a long time. Does it use 'standard' Echoplex type tapes or is it something different?

Do any other tape delays have multiple switchable record and playback heads like that? 2:21 is pretty trippy.

Archived