September new gear thread

Tomkeen

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Got this from a local public auction of stolen goods. It's the first keyboard with a built-in cover I've seen.

Paid $2000 because of the missing key. I tried to convince the auctioneer that it's too expensive for something you can't even open & use and that he should slash the price in half at least. He laughed out loud and said "What makes you think we don't know about synths? The missing key means it was never opened, therefore never played. It's in MINT condition".

Got a laser saw from Home Depot the same day. Will post pics when I open it.

hs61.jpg

• Members

I've ordered an Eminence Cannabis Rex guitar speaker. It should work very well for my style of guitar playing. The cone's made of hemp, which probably renders even analogue signals more analogue-sounding.

Oddly, the Eminence guide to their speakers listed instruments as: Lead/Rhythm Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Keyboard

The only one to have "Keyboard" in its description. Once I've installed it in my newly-kijijied tube amp, I'll see how it works with rhodes et al and report back.

• Members

Wow, great delay. How much did that run you? 36 seconds is a long time. Does it use 'standard' Echoplex type tapes or is it something different?

Do any other tape delays have multiple switchable record and playback heads like that? 2:21 is pretty trippy.

It uses a 16 foot loop of 1/4". It's closer to a Roland RE-201 Space Echo but with more features.

• Members
bought this little gem yesterday, it will be here in 2 wks. has ocillators and filters just the way i likem - phukin huge and full of that "elusive 70s analog mojo". yeah baby..

sem.jpg

That looks pretty cool... Never seen one of them.... Excuse me for being a bit ignorant and un-informed on this topic, but does that produce sounds similar to an OBX or similar model from that series? And can it be controlled via a keyboard? Also, how much do they usually go for?

• Members

That looks pretty cool... Never seen one of them.... Excuse me for being a bit ignorant and un-informed on this topic, but does that produce sounds similar to an OBX or similar model from that series? And can it be controlled via a keyboard? Also, how much do they usually go for?

You're aware that's been re-issued right? I don't know how the price compares to the originals, but:

http://www.tomoberheim.com/

• Members

hi, yes it can be played by any CV/GATE signal, either coming from CV keyboard, sequnecer, or MIDI-to-CV converter like Kenton.

this is one of Oberheims first products, it predates OBX. they however have similar genes. the filter in SEM is legendary. probably together with moogs transistor ladder, the most famous filter in synth history. its very flexible multimode with 12dB/Oct. often just referred to as "Oberheim Filter" or "SEM filter". it has LP BP HP modes, and you can morph between the LP and HP modes, going thru NOTCH as well.

early Obehreim polyphonics were just made by stacking SEMs and using keyboard controller capable of rotating scheme polyphonic CV transmit.

however, when they went for OBX, they wanted to cram 8 SEMs inside, and have dependable machine with memory. they kept the oscillators and vca the same. they moved to CEM3310 analog chip for envelopes as its much smaller to do for 8 voices (16 envs).

however the filter was, for simplicity sake , limited to LP version only. but the LP part of the circuit is practically the same.

modern SEM sounds fabulous.. and slightly different from the old one. cleaner and with little less gritt in the lows, lacking some of the characteristic saturation coming with 70s designs. never the less, imho its best damn deal in analog market today.

im thinking if life is good, id love to have a new one as well, as another flavor of SEM-ish sound. SEM is so good that i totally understand geeks who have 3 , 4 or more of these babies.

just listen to this incredible demo:

anyhow, both versions of SEM, in context of monophonic sound (without memory), far surpass OBX in their capabilities. not a small point is their ability to take all the patch points out to a panel, so SEM can become entirely modular, or easily incorporated into a larger modular system.

price new one with patch panel or midi version 899, barebones version (for puttin inside a modular, who midi and psu) 599. the old, original one 900 - 1200

• Members
never the less, imho its best damn deal in analog market today.

Totally agree. :thu:

Is the rumor that Tom is going to bring back the Two Voice still hold? Probably too expensive for me, but I sure would love to see him do it. That would create some serious competition with the Voyager. If priced about the same, with a programmer, I don't think Tom would be able to keep up with the demand. :lol:

• Members
Totally agree.
:thu:

Is the rumor that Tom is going to bring back the Two Voice still hold? Probably too expensive for me, but I sure would love to see him do it. That would create some serious competition with the Voyager. If priced about the same, with a programmer, I don't think Tom would be able to keep up with the demand.
:lol:

well they are perhaps two fairly different products to be easily compared.

SEM is a two VCO mono with multimode filter
VYGR is a three VCO mono with LP/HP but with memory

2VOiCE if its ressurected is 2 x SEM, plus a simple 8 step analog sequencer. and a keyboard. no memory. that means comapred ot Vygr, you get two completely independent synths inside, and if you choose one can be driven by the onboard sequencer.

im not sure if Tom Oberheim will venture into this considering the economy and all, but if he does, considering the normal, unhyped price of his SEM, a new two voice could easily come out cheaper than new Vygr. im just speculating in 2 - 2.5k region.

imho its better for him and his business to relase the barebones SEM version as well, and keep doing this for a while longer, until everyone knows how good SEM sounds. then drop in with variations on the theme.

personally id love to see SEM or actually a dual SEM rack with memory. single set of controls that are multiplexed into CPU. with both midi and cv inputs. and perhaps addition of one or two extra mod routings like filter and vco fm (xmod), and anohter lfo for pwm and stuff.

that would float my boat to no end. but realistically venturing into memory capable synth with some limited GUI/LCD, requires much more R & D and quite bigger operation than what TO is doing now. but who knows..

@ acid hazard: beautiful just beautiful.. love those chrome knobs. CONGRATS

Archived