NOVATION ULTRANOVA !!!

LostTsunami

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

December... jeez... this wait is killing me! I don't know whether to pre-order or not. I'm about 90% sold on this thing. I just want to hear one up close before I decide. Listening to crappy Novation promo videos just isn't enough! Plus, I want to touch! I want to touch!

• Members

That, to my ears, sounds a lot nicer than the Gaia

Sounds totally different IMO. Sounds much more digital (in synthesis/tone, not sound quality or anything like that). Most VA's to me sound like FM with hands on control and res filters. not a bad thing, but just not vintage analog in anyway.

With that in mind.. I'm really liking the razorbass sounds I've heard out of this thing. Like the Dr. Who bass at around 3:03 in that video.

• Members

thx for posting this! The Gaia has it beat in knobbage but the Ultranova sounds so much better. Plus the computer editor.

The Gaia reminded me of my first impression of the K-Station actually, sorta nice but generic, more like the CS2x I had at the time. And I loved the Supernova. Although Ultranova + Gaia would be a nice pair.

Do want. Or a Blofeld. Along with a Mopho keyboard. Whenever I buy hardware again these will be my synths. probably

• Members

But why is it still monotimbral?

I think of this in comparison to the X-Station, which to me was a fine controller, and an ok synth. But since it couldn't do both at the same time, I almost never used the synth in the end .

Multi timbrality would have made it more appealing, even if it was only eight voices, there was some fun to be had with stacking midi tracks.

Now, the Ultranova definetely aims to be on the synth side of the fence, so that becomes a much bigger deal of a shortcoming, imo. But then, Gaia and R3, namely the competition, are just the same... At least R3 will let you play a two tone split.

Funny thing is I have no use for these things, but just because they're that cheap and look like that much fun, I can't help but turn to look when I see them.

• Members

I'll never understand why people will dismiss something because it it's multi-timberal. Who cares. Leave that crap for the work stations. Do you REALLY want multiple instances of the same synth? My Q is multi-timberal, and i'll NEVER utilize this feature. It's a wasted resource that only adds to the cost.

• Members

Multi-timbrel is for those who program their music rather than play it (which I'm not saying is a bad thing).

What I don't quite understand is why someone would want most or all of their sounds (bass, pads, arps and/or leads) coming from the same synth. It may seem convenient, but unless it's a work station, in the long run it would sound too homogenized and stale.

Just my 2 cents, but I like music played with a verity of synths.

That said, I'm GASing for this new synth.

• Members

I know what you mean. I have at least 27 keyboards and synths (most of which I have stacked up and don't use - I know I should get ride of some of them). Honestly, I only use about 5 of them at the most.

Still, I like having the choice of different "flavors" of sound available. I agree that having just 3 or 4 synths would be more than enough, as long as they didn't overlap in sound too much.

But concerning the subject of multi-timbrel, multitracking is still always a viable option, even if it can sometimes be a pain in the ass.

• Members

I have a number of synths here, but only my Virus TI and Motif ES get used regularly. I use my X-Station as a controller, and I do love my KS-Rack... but I always find myself going to the Virus for most VA stuff.

I think the Ultranova seems like quite a capable 1 part synth, and I am sure I'd bring it into some of my tracks - plus, I like the idea of curling up on the lounge with it and a pair of headphones to do some patch creations. My Virus is the 61 Key version, and it would break my legs if I sat it on my lap :) Ultranova looks much more lap friendly :)

So a mid december release... god damn. I'll buy one and then they'll have it on sale in January or something.

Rule #1 about buying new toys - after you buy it, stop checking the price out (it's just a horrible habbit I have that always ends in tears!)

Archived