NOVATION ULTRANOVA !!!

LostTsunami

• Members
  • Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm kinda liking this synth. But seriously, how much would it overlap sound wise with the miniAK I just got?

I played a Xio quite a while back and liked the sound, but the deal breaker was the fact that it didn't have a midi in to use a controller with more keys.

This one's really in a gray area for me since I really like the SN sound.

Here is a good comparison, ignoring the styles being played you can hear the harshness of the SN2 compared to the ION engine (same as your Mini AK)

[YOUTUBE]gby94W4jikQ[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]fZYdhAi-OW4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]bXV4RsEy8b8[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]wOYqYC6YBf0[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Thanks for posting those videos Bernard (ah, good ol' Jexus). :)

If the UltraNova sounds like the old SuperNova then it would compliment my MiniAK well (contrary to the current analog lust, I sometimes prefer a harsher, digital sound). I listened to the old tracks I made several years ago with my friend's SuperNova yesterday and I still like the way it sounded.

BTW, I always wanted an Ion, but all the complaints about troublesome encoders kept me from buying one new (I regret that now, but aw well...:facepalm:) The Micron was completely uninspiring to me, but when I saw the MiniAK the old GAS* came back in a big way (I think it was the 3 performance wheels that did it...that and the excellent filters). Now, if only I could find the knob/switch parameters for my BCR2000 I'd be one happy MiniAK programmer.

*The only thing worse than new GAS is old GAS. :freak:

• Members

Whenever I see some V/A synth if just makes me want a DarkStar..

I kinda agree with you.

Now if only all the die-hard analog wankers would program something other than the same old {censored} ad nauseam that they do I just might be impressed. :poke:

• Members

BTW, I always wanted an Ion, but all the complaints about troublesome encoders kept me from buying one new (I regret that now, but aw well...
:facepalm:
) The Micron was completely uninspiring to me, but when I saw the MiniAK the old GAS* came back in a big way (I think it was the 3 performance wheels that did it...that and the excellent filters). ...

Ditto here...

I had to go through the instructions again and again to get a feel for how it (MINI AK) saves. The thing that bugged me was that it did not explain how many slots where free, then I spotted it during editing it came up saying something like 196. Which means they have added patches (more than 600 originally) out of the thousand odd slots.

Some of the patches that default one of the XYZ controllers to filter change show more filters than the manual which is already 2 more than the original ION and some of which where also updated and improved. I guess without counting exactly, there are about another two filter models on my version.

I tweaked a patch last night (Movie Pad) and it was really good, can't wish for more really...

:)

• Members

you should probably go to a doctor and get that checked out.

Well. I think it all depends on what you'd want out of a V/A. I want knobs, a small footprint and multitimbrality.

Also, disappointments that are obvious.. not much denial factor.

It is what it is.

• Members
Wasn't analogue like 30 years ago?

Yeah, what's your point? Analogue was generally discreet circuitry, VAs are computer chips. So would you buy a nice shiny Pentium III computer if it came out in a month? What if I put it in a REALLY nice case? :love: Wouldn't you want one? :facepalm:

That's a more appropriate analogy.

• Members
Yeah, what's your point? Analogue was generally discreet circuitry, VAs are computer chips. So would you buy a nice shiny Pentium III computer if it came out in a month? What if I put it in a REALLY nice case?
:love:
Wouldn't you want one?
:facepalm:

That's a more appropriate analogy.

Not really. I'm curious how this is just another VA synth. The only other VA like synth like this one is the Blofeld. Not to mention this has the Touch encoders, which isn't on anything else.

No one will know how it REALLY sounds until they hear it for themselves in person, until then, it's all speculation. But most synth people are all about deciding what something sounds like well before it's even shipping. So i guess it's nothing new.

• Members

One of the most worthless synths ever made.

I don't really like V/A's all that much.... but it seems like you don't either:thu:

what V/A's do you like?

What was so bad about the Darkstar?

I'd just want a V/A for some multi-timbral monosynth sequences. Ambient/desert sounding stuff.. nothing punchie or in your face.

• Members

actually, i do really like VAs. I loved the way the Ion sounded, really like the Virus as well. I just hated the Darkstar, and i had the XP version too! It sounded very thin and tiny. No presence at all. But for what you say you want it for, you might actually dig it. Just get the XP version, stay away from the original Black version.

• Members

Like...?

Like...

...nothing, really. That was just an over reaction to seeing so many impressive modular and vintage synths being controlled by a sequencer or arppegiator while the...ahem...musician twiddles a knob here and there. I guess I just have a fingers on keyboard fetish.

Pay no attention to the man holding up the bikini clad woman.

Archived