NOVATION ULTRANOVA !!!

LostTsunami

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

From what I understand you can use it as a *controller* just fine. The 'older' novation controllers (remote, remote sl, etc) were also able to be used as a usb midi *interface* for your external gear, so information could flow from the usb cable to the physical midi ports and vice versa. It seems the ultranova 'swallows' midi data coming from the computer to the UN through the usb cable and doesn't pass that info along to the physical midi ports. I don't have this new piece of gear, nor have I touched it
:)
(I do have the remote sl though) , but from I have read in this thread, I believe that is what is meant.

Thats exactly right wackawa. I am glad my blabbering makes sense to someone :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I held out on buying the Ultranova and GAIA because the lack of being multitimbral. I'm glad i waited 'cause the Venom is right up my alley.

:thu:

Good move.. I hope it sounds good too....

As for the NU, feeling less and less towards it.. love some of the sounds, but just not into stuff that hooks up to a PC for best results or tweaking.. nice to have though for some things...

• Members

I think people are missing the point. You can use the UN without a PC at all.

The PC just adds editing and a librarian, just like MANY other synths lately.

I have an M-Audio synth with their "synth-action" keybed, and it feels terrible.

For the same price as the UN (and others) with no aftertouch, etc., I wonder where the market is for the Venom.

Obviously I'd have to hear it before I completely dismiss it, but if it feels like an Oxygen49, I doubt I could enjoy playing it.

• Members
I think people are missing the point. You can use the
UN
without a PC at all.

The PC just adds editing and a librarian, just like MANY other synths lately.

I have an M-Audio synth with their "synth-action" keybed, and it feels terrible.

For the same price as the
UN
(and others) with no aftertouch, etc., I wonder where the market is for the Venom.

Obviously I'd have to hear it before I completely dismiss it, but if it feels like an Oxygen49, I doubt I could enjoy playing it.

I would never let the UN anywhere near my PC... :lol:

Seriously I would like to confirm that I know how it works without PC ;)

Part of the ARP is only controllable from the keyboard...

• Members

Anyone changed their mind after gas down or still likely to buy? Maybe waiting till NAMM is over?

I did. Too into Music Theory right now and the keybed isn't 4 octaves C to C and I don't need another audio interface. I'll reconsider a purchase if they come out with a rack version before Kurzweil does.

• Members

I have very little personal interest. This is not because I don't like the synth but because I just don't think its particular set of features is a good fit. I am heading slowly towards the path of something else but I am not sure what. I am thinking high end, analog, polyphonic, and pricey with long-term planning/saving/gear selling required, like an Omega 8 or a SunSyn (or P'08 PE rack as a lagging third choice).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have a question to all Ultranova owners.

Why have none of you felt inclined to write a User Review? There is not one user review of this synth, which has otherwise generated a lot of interest.

I'm very interested in the fate of the Harmony Central User Reviews...it seems no one uses it anymore.

Archived