NOVATION ULTRANOVA !!!

LostTsunami

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I disagree that multi-timbrality is only for programming and not for playing live. I always play and record my synths live, I don't use a sequencer at all. 2 or even 4-part multi-timbral is useful for live playing. I use my SH-201 in split or layer mode quite a bit, and that alone (and the fact that I have 49 keys) makes me not have any GAS for this Novation at all. Now, a Supernova II keyboard, that'd be a different story... :love:

• Members

CR, I'm so with you on this one - playing synths in anything more complex than jazz I need 2 part multitimbrality.

That kills it for me too. 2 multitimbrality is bellow minimum for my needs , 4 is more like with a general preference to 16.

Also it really sad that there is no fm anywhere. Overall its a lower speced than my blofeld and blofeld keyboard, but still sounds good the VST editor and the touch knobs modulation looks very nice. But definetely not my thing.

I was thinking of getting gaia at some point, but I think that I will better off, with my new macbook air , Camel Audio Vst and the remote sl 37.

I have keeping remote 37 sl closed inside its box for too long, I think it will make a great music mobility solution with the above two . I can finally take my Alchemy anywhere I want.

By the way this beauty is an automap controller as well, however Novation, has not clarified if the automap software comes on board this synth or you have to pay for it extra. Another advantage is that it is an audio interface. So I think it certainly worth its price and it will be successful for novation.

• Members

Who needs multitimbral ability when you have MIDI?

I can stack as many sounds as I want by chaining my Blofeld and Wavestation and Fusion to whatever I play.

Sure, if you only have ONE SYNTH and NO modules, then multitimbral ability is essential, but how many here only use ONE SYNTH and NO modules?

• Members

Who needs multitimbral ability when you have MIDI?

I can stack as many sounds as I want by chaining my Blofeld and Wavestation and Fusion to whatever I play.

Sure, if you only have ONE SYNTH and NO modules, then multitimbral ability is essential, but how many here only use ONE SYNTH and NO modules?

You are telling me its not stupid to have a single timbre and 18 polyphony ? Are you are an Alien with 18 fingers ?

• Members

The X-Station could do a split in controller mode (so you can send two different halves of the keyboard to different MIDI channels). I haven't read anywhere about this being able to do the splits though. The feature was added as an update to the X-Station OS, so maybe if enough people want it, Novation might implement. Of course it won't do a split with it's own synth engine no matter what though - damn single timbrality. Seems the single timbrality limitation is the main deal breaker for a lot of people. Novation take note!

• Members

What I like most about it is that the editor can run as a plugin in a DAW like a Virus TI.

But for me to want to spend on a hardware synth, it's gotta have front panel knobs for fast, immediate hands-on controls, like Gaia but not as ugly as all newer Roland gear tend to be. Actually the Ultranova is kinda ugly too coz I'm kinda superficial like that. I don't mind the paint job so much but the choice of blue LEDs is bleh. I find blue LEDs on equipment to be way too distracting for some reason.

I'm sure it sounds good though. And the touch sensitive knobs are a nice touch.

• Members

The X-Station could do a split in controller mode (so you can send two different halves of the keyboard to different MIDI channels). I haven't read anywhere about this being able to do the splits though. The feature was added as an update to the X-Station OS, so maybe if enough people want it, Novation might implement. Of course it won't do a split with it's own synth engine no matter what though - damn single timbrality. Seems the single timbrality limitation is the main deal breaker for a lot of people. Novation take note!

Can you explain how to split the X-station's keyboard? I'd appreciate it very much. :wave:

• Members

Hi psionic11,

You need to ensure you have the latest firmware upgrade installed (download from Novation). I think the latest version is 3.0.03.

As I mentioned, you can only do a split in controller mode... so you can't split with the x-stations own synth engine.

Novation call keyboard splits Zones

1. Put the x-station in controller mode (you toggle this with the play button of course)

2. Press the 'Global' button TWICE. You should see Keyboard Zones displayed

3. Turn the data wheel to turn on Keyboard Zones

4. Press the Up Page arrow twice. The X-Station lets you set up 4 different zones. Each zone can use a different MIDI port, channel and velocity curve. So select the zone number which you want to setup, then move the cursor across to each option. Choose which MIDI out you want to use (USB or MIDI ports 1 or 2, or any combination of the three), choose the Channel to be transmitted on, and finally the velocity curve (to adjust touch sensitivity for this zone)

5. Press the Page Up arrow to move to the next screen. Select the zone to edit again, cursor to the Low setting, and press a key on the keyboard to set the lowest note of the range. Cursor to the Hi option and press the highest note for this range on the keyboard. Cursor across to Trn to set the transpose for this range.

6. Press the Page up arrow once more, and you can set whether or not After touch, pitch modulation and Mod wheel have any effect on this zone.

7. Press Write to save your settings.

As you can see, it not only lets you set up zones, it gives you LOTS of options. Probably one of the more powerful keyboard splits I have seen :-)

Finally, we were adjusting the Global settings... you can also modify znoes per template by pressing the Template Common button twice, and following the same guides as for setting up global zones.

I hope this helps you out! The good old X-Station really isn't such a bad controller! I hope the Ultranova can impress...

• Members

Acidduck, thank you much for that! Those are some pretty sweet options...

--choices of where to route each zone (USB, or either/both X-station's MIDI OUT 1 or 2)...

-- individual velocity curves (I'm thinking bass light velocity to tame the knock/squelch on an acid pluck type, no velocity for organ/pad types, etc)...

-- turn off MOD options for some zones (no sustain for bass notes, no pitch wheel for pads, etc)

-- multiple template options for zone splits, so each softsynth/hardware rack can have its own custome zone setups remembered for it

Since the X-station has 2 separate MIDI OUTS, obviously some pre-planning went into its controller functionality. I don't recall seeing this in the manual, so kudos to you for bringing up a great hidden feature.

Question: on the Zone Pitch/Mod page, I take it the choices of Zone or Normal allows you to override whether to toggle MODs for each zone?

• Members

So, I guess you don't play live.

Currently, no, but even if I did I would use my system because what I don't use live is a sequencer.

The other point I was making is that most folk have modules that provide multitimbral capabilities, like Metro's Virus, so does the keyboard need to be multi as well? You could set all of your zoning/layering on the module.

It really comes down to different styles of interpretation, I would say. If I am playing a line and want a huge pile of stuff to swell in underneath, I would just crank up the module on a mixer.

• Members

You are telling me its not stupid to have a single timbre and 18 polyphony ? Are you are an Alien with 18 fingers ?

That can get eaten up pretty quickly as soon as you use a sustain pedal, any quite fast chromatic run probably would take the larger part out of it just with one hand.

Even if you're just playing chords on the other hand, unless you play with no release or you don't mind the last one sucking out, you need enough polyphony to let the previous chord taper off too.

Depending on what you play that may or may not be an issue, but it will be for some people.

Archived