NOVATION ULTRANOVA !!!

LostTsunami

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Since all Novation's older products had FM of some kind (they do have 3 oscs, some are bound to do audio rate modulation at some point!), I presume Ultranova will also have FM.

That's what I'm hoping too...

However, on the software editor .png screens so far, I can't see anything that resembles it in the "oscillator" window.

I hope it has not been replaced by the wavetables.

But you're probably correct, most of the older ones had it.

• Members

Curious how the Wavetables will sound.

My guess is they're using the term "wavetable" to mean a single-cycle sample and not PPG/Waldorf/Access/NI style wavetables. Nord used this misnomer as well with the Nord Wave.

I hope I'm wrong and the Ultranova will have realtime-scannable multi-wave-wavetables like the aformentioned companies.

• Members

Not a fan of the novation synth sound :cry:

Those look like wobary buttons :facepalm: if they are. I am fortunate that the rubber button transport controls on my VS100 don't get used much or use is non time trigger critical, if it was I would throw the VS out the window... I fear this will have the same feel...

looks like I am not the target market as real time synth tweaking seems matrix-ed and it has that Access Virus computer needed vibe...

Just looks like they are hiding another multi knob midi controller in a synth..

Over all I am sure those that dig the sound and lust after the innovation that they obviously have done well will want one... Good size and price bracket as they could sell well.

Not for me

:wave:

• Members

Hmmmm...

Novation X-Station HAS release velocity, and it wasn't in the specs either!
;)

My Korg X5D also has release velocity, and it isn't in the specs!

If it were there, it would be listed in the modulation sources:

'...Sources:

20 modulation slots per patch

• Members

I'm impressed enough to nevermind hunting for a bargain 49key X-station. Things I esp like:

-- aftertouch

-- touch-sensitive performance knobs

-- 2 filters, w/distortion

-- 36 wavetables (with WT index as a mod destination!)

-- 20 digital waveforms

-- 20 mod slots, with recursive mods

-- gator

-- vocoder

-- USB-powered

Things I'm not so thrilled about, but accept:

-- mono-timbral

-- no filter emulations (no moog/ob/arp/formant)

-- mono-timbral (did I already mention this?)

-- no sliders

-- no pads

Still, with this and a laptop, I think you might be golden for capturing/creating on-the-go inspiration...

And I thought my budget-minded GAS was settled for another couple years.... guess not. =)

• Members

My guess is they're using the term "wavetable" to mean a single-cycle sample and not PPG/Waldorf/Access/NI style wavetables. Nord used this misnomer as well with the Nord Wave.

I hope I'm wrong and the Ultranova will have realtime-scannable multi-wave-wavetables like the aformentioned companies.

Well, they list 20 digital waveforms in addition to 36 wavetables. The possible mod destination also includes wavetable index... I take these together to mean the 20 digital waveforms are the single-cycle samples and the wavetables are genuinely indexable wavetables. Exciting.

• Members

I like this. In fact, it sounds nearly perfect for my needs. This is basically my x-station 25 with more keys (yet still remain portable), more outs on its audio interface, 2 wheels instead of the joystick, vocoder (!), good enough amount of knobs, software editor, and hopefully a better sounding synth engine. Wow!

• Members

I saw the big photo on Digital Village website and I got immediately stricken by the poor build quality that is clearly visible on both sides under the keys. After seeing this, I'm not tempted to try it out even if it sounded like Jupiter 8.

You need to scroll down a bit to see it.

http://www.dv247.com/assets/products/78785_l.jpg

Give me some wood and metal, please.

• Members

It wasn't listed as a modulation source on X-Station either, and it was there
:cop:

Either manufacturers do a poor job of listing specs for their synths (likely), or some prospective buyers are way too finicky in their expectations (also likely).

:lol:

As usual, it'll probably come down to having to audition it in person to get the whole story. :mad:

It does look like a very nice piece though.

• Members

Unfortunately, it seems to me that it is based on an older Nova/Supernova design which didn't have FM, unlike the later Nova II and Supernova II. Looking at the editor screenshot I see only two ringmodulators 1*3 and 2*3 ...

Hmmm.... but that older architecture sounds better than the KS series which sounded kinda crappy and too harsh for a novation synth.

I saw the big photo on Digital Village website and I got immediately stricken by the poor build quality that is clearly visible on both sides under the keys.

Could just be a pre-production issue since it was probably a one off. Although hard to say, I assume by now they have to be comming off a production line to meet a november in store date.

• Members

Unfortunately, it seems to me that it is based on an older Nova/Supernova design which didn't have FM, unlike the later Nova II and Supernova II. Looking at the editor screenshot I see only two ringmodulators 1*3 and 2*3 ...

Hmmm, strange that they state this:

'' It is a single-part synth taking the legendary Supernova II synth engine as a starting point and packing it with the latest technology. It now has brand new features including wavetable synthesis, even more powerful filters, a software editor and a revolutionary new touch-sense performance mode ''

I guess they mean the engine (code) and not all the features...

Shame we have not got a Novation guy on this forum to explain their marketing

Archived