OT: I decided to quit music

Tomkeen

• Members

Tomkeen..

DON'T!

I'm 25 and I got the same frustration for quite a time. You can do music without any band members, too. I think getting a break and composing yourself would get your happiness back again.

I've got same gear as you (almost, Q instead of Blofeld, no PC3x and Korg) and believe me, it works wonders when composing, DON'T GIVE UP!

It takes a little time to get things right, I think you are taking it too emotionally.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And just today, I found out that my kurzweil was making weird noises that I've been hearing for a long time (I thought it was my behringer mixer, go figure). So that one is going back to the store for repair tomorrow... Craptastic!

I might just keep the blofeld for it's awesomeness though....

• Members

Let's see...

First thoughts: having a "solo" career only works if you plan on staying in your bedroom playing there all your life - unless you are a singer, of course. Or a virtuoso, but even those guys usually get a head start with a band, before they put together their solo works...

I took two breaks in my life - one good, one bad.

The first (and good one) was when I was 19. I had friends knocking on my door asking me to play with them but I decided to take at least a year off, due to frustration with my level of playing (we're talking guitar here). When rehearsing and gigging, you kind of do what your ability level allows you to, and you try to that very well. But you hardly have time to concentrate on learning. So I decided to devote a couple hours every day (I had a day job, or I would practice even more) to practicing scales and learning new things. This was down in Brazil, in the late 80s... I didn't have a lot of material to learn from, and I really sucked going into it (but I was an OK singer and that's what got me invited to bands. but I wanted to be a good musician).

So a couple years later I got actually ok at guitar playing. I wanted to play like Yngwie and Vai and Satriani but that didn't happen. I practiced sweep arpeggios for a couple months and didn't improve at all on that front, which was frustrating. but I did get ok with chromatic, harmonic minor and pentatonic scales, and had a bluesy rock attack to my playing like early Jimmy Page. So I thought, I guess that will have to do.

My 2nd break was a few years later because I started doing consulting work. It lasted almost a decade and I didn't completely stop, but because I travelled all the time, my bands didn't go anywhere. My personal life suffered too and I gave up that kind of work. I ended up where I am today with my guitar technique, which is a sloppy and slower version of my former self - kind of like Jimmy Page on the later Led Zep years :lol: But since I got back, I picked up keyboards and that's been very motivational for me, even if I haven't really had time to be as good as I thought I ought to be...

So the advice from me, who just turned 40, is that if you're going to take a break, make it count and have an objective - like, I want to learn jazz and be able to play like Chick Corea. It doesn't matter if you end up in a different place, but if you put time into it, you'll move forward with your playing and that's what matters. Not that you're not good already - you're very good. But you can always aim higher. And when you get there, you'll be earning a different type of respect from other musicians...

Finally, something that might or might not apply to your current situations, but every band has ups and downs. There's going to be times when you play together and it's just magical. Other times, you'll be wondering why the heck you are wasting your time with this. If you believe in the capability of the people you are playing with, and they're good friends, then don't give up during the down times. Wait for the tide to turn and make your decision based on the average point of the band, not the low point.

• Members

The band experience, well, that is another thing altogether. Now, no one commits to a band like they did back in my day. I had one guy who would drive over an hour through all manner of weather to rehearse in an original band that never made money for nearly a year. We had a bunch of material, though - worked hard at it and had it tight. Back then, though, you needed a whole night's worth to play out, not one set.

Now I find that people communicate through email and never even get back to you. It's like the mentality of one-night stands - the email gives them some sort of satisfaction and then it's hasta la vista, baby.

This has been my experience as well. One thing that has changed markedly over the years is people's general level of commitment to things like this. Group projects in general sound like a great idea until they become work. All it takes is one or two flaky people to basically ruin it. It's very hard to put together a good band these days, or to even get people together to write original material. People in general are more focused on the supposed pay-off when it comes to projects that take time to put together.

I think this also relates to why certain people get into music in the first place, i.e. their fundamental motivation for playing music. For some (particularly young musicians), it's about being seen, noticed, appreciated, impressing and meeting women, whatever. Spending a lot of time practicing in a closed rehearsal space is thankless work, and many are not as interested in doing something with that kind of up-front investment. I hate to generalize, but I also think this varies somewhat by musical genre.

That in mind, I think the main frustration of the original poster is not with music itself, but the experience of being in bands that go nowhere because of people's marginal commitment.

My advice is just to avoid flaky people. Even if they seem to have talent, it's fool's gold, since the logistics of coordinating everything and getting work done will always be a nightmare. Take some time off, and when you're ready, find people who are more grounded and reliable.

• Members

Probably nobody has noticed I haven't been around here much lately. I too was taking some time off from making noise with audio gadgets. Also staying clear of the synth forums for a while.

For you Tom, it kind of sounds like frustration. That's understandable considering the circumstances but as for me... I don't know what happened. It wasn't even intentional. We moved house at the end of May and after I got all the gear hooked back up I just felt completely uninterested in even turning it on.

I kept busy planting a garden (mostly super hot peppers :evil:), making wickedly spicy dinners at home on the grill and doing lots of fishing with some new kinds of gear. I even bought a tiny bass boat.

I also just spent many evenings enjoying the new big yard we now have and sipping brews and Bourbon. Doing a lot of thinking and relaxing I guess.

I have to admit, the notion to sell some gear came to mind so I tried to ignore it and just keep the dust covers on everything. Now I'm kind of getting the urge to power things back on. The cold is coming. The garden is now dead and the fish around here will be getting lethargic. A nice warm little home studio might get me back into the swing of things. In the new place my setup is in the living room with a fireplace, so I'm actually looking forward to winter.

Tom, don't sell your gear. At least not all of it. Keeping the Blofeld would probably be a good choice and if you do sell the hardware, oh well! There's always Komplete! :cool:

• Members

Oh man, it's just Your frustration :) really.

I can say for myself, I quit serious playing at age of 17, 11 years later I was knew, that It was a mistake. But I had a chance to go back, and play for fun. It growed more and more, and everything I want now, is to get back that lost years. Now i'm 30 and willing to play.

Playing in a band - if You do it as a job, is not good. I play with my friends, the music we like. We meeting each other not only on rehearsal, but also going to pub, and - as in Poland - heavy drinking included ;)

Some rehearsals can be painful, but there is this one, when everything is going great, and moving You forward. The goal is important - don't think about fame and money, just enjoy the ride ;) Enjoy the music You play! (it's important - if You play something You don't like, it's painful).

Go and get to know other people enjoying music - last july I went to music workshops for two weeks (frist, I was signing for one week, then I want to stay for the next one :D ), thousand kilometers from place where I live. I've met a lot of great people, not the best skilled players, but with passion, and it's great! I've also met some TOP polish musicians, and all of them were friendly, willing to help, not only on workshops, but also at evening jams, and partying. That's cool, refreshing and so motivating. And when You see Adrian Maruszczyk (from http://www.public-peace.de/ ) filling Your glass with beer, with smile, chatting for a while - priceless :)

There were people not only from Poland, but also from Chech Rep., Slovakia, Germany, Austria. Not professional players (ok, there were some working musicians, really good one), but people with passion. And I think it's something for You :) If You can't find it on Netherlands, come to Poland - simple :)

But don't You dare to quit! :)

• Members

Something to consider:

Take some serious time alone to create, to realize a musical vision that is distinctly your own; then and only then -- if this even applies at that point -- form a band yourself where you are the center of the creative energy -- not just an adjunct player, but the heart of it.

• Members

Sell it ... From your gear list, there's nothing in there that couldn't be replaced easily ... Maybe you're just tired of your equipment. (Seeing red?)

When you get the spirit back, you can do some shopping ...

In the meantime ... just have fun being minimalist and productive with one piece of gear. Sometimes I wish I could go back to that (not that I have THAT much. Even so, I spend 90 percent of my time working/rehearsing/composing on my main synth/workstation. The rest I fire up mostly when I'm recording.)

• Members

As someone who works with a minimal setup, I say sell stuff. The PC3 (once yours is working/replaced) is more than enough board to be useful for a very long time. It's nice to wake up in the morning, turn on two pieces of gear (in my case the PC3 and the BCR), and make some noise.

• Members

Hey Tom...

How much is that N1R worth? :poke:

Perhaps the wife would agree that I need a Xmas gift... and I've always wanted to replace the NS5R with the N1R...

(the vultures start to circle around...
:facepalm:
)

Really? With shipping to the US and different voltage etc? I won't mind selling it to you though. I'll make it 80 euros + shipping for you if you want it..

• Members

Funny story regarding the elusive N1R. Don and I were both bidding on one and I agreed to not bid the price up so he could hopefully buy it at a fair price. I think he has always appreciated this virtual gentleman's agreement.

:thu:

• Members

Yeah it's pretty difficult to find. The 4 outputs and more editing available on the front panel, really make it worthwhile to me compared to the NS5R. I'm also curious about the piano sample, I think it might be useful for live playing. I quite like the "N264 grand" that the NS5R has, oddly enough. I think it's a good pop/rock piano, and I expect the N1R's grand to be even better, since it's the piano they ended up using in the Trinity (reportedly).

But I'm kinda odd that way, one of my favorite piano sounds for rock is the JD800 piano (or at least the sample of it I had on my Fantom). Weird, huh?

• Members

I'll talk to the wife and PM you if it all works out...
:thu:

I can send you American PSU for Korg N1R. (it is a special PSU designed just for Korg N1R. You can't replace it with a classic adapter.)

While Tom can send you just the N1R but without the PSU unit (which means less shipping cost for you).

How about that?

:wave: :wave: :wave:

• Members

That's fantastic, Don!

That's very nice for you! PM me with details and price for the PSU, pleeeeze :)

burster: I hear you. I was surprised to hear how good those old Alesis pianos sound. I can say the same thing about the 90s Korg pianos. I just looove them with lots of reverbs and maybe some delay depending on what I want to use them for :love:

Now the Roland pianos (other than JD800) just sound weak to me, I'm not into my JV2080's 64-voice piano that I've tried finding use for...

• Members

PM me with details and price for the PSU, pleeeeze

It will cost you a total of 0$. :lol:

Fun trivia: It was that particular unit (the N1R) that actually Burster wanted to buy from eBay but he let me have it. :D I don't know how the hell did we figured that out on time before bidding out each other. But i got it in the end, else it would be at his place now. (and you wouldn't get its PSU, since he would need it) :D:D

Oh and: Tom can let me have his PSU. That's some serious KSS gear mixing we got going on around here. :lol:

Archived