OT: I decided to quit music

Tomkeen

• Members

Partially, that is..

To make a long story short, I've been playing in bands since age 15 (I'm 22 now). I've had some good experiences in my earlier years and always had a lot of fun playing with other people. The last 4 years though have been taking their toll on that fun. I've played with at least 15/20 different bands, and each and every one of them led me to nothing. Most of those bands were with people I've played with before, and most of them only lasted for a couple of weeks. One band was with a girl who became third on a national Idol/popstar-like program. We rehearsed once, mediahype started, they never called me again. Another band asked me to play with them around that time, but I declined since I already had three bands at that time.

After a month or 6 though, they called again to see if I was available. I was, and started playing with them. They played alternative/indie-rock covers, which I had never done before, but I liked it. After a couple of weeks or rehearsing, we decided to only play original material. I knew it would be a lot of work, but fast forward to now, a few months later, we only have one song that's finished, and some that still need a lot of work. After last nights horrible rehearsal I could only conclude that I don't have that same fun anymore in making music that I once had. I feel that I put a lot more energy, money and time into playing than I get back.

It has been such a frustrating experience that now I've decided to sell all my gear, except for the PC3x. I'm not going to play in any band anymore, at least for a while. I just want to play by myself now, and maybe focus some more on writing songs on my own instead of with a band.

Thanks for reading, really needed to vent..

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Been there, done that. Did the cover band thing for years and years and took nearly ten years off. I didn't sell my gear though and kept writing and playing. I started appreciating new styles and stopped playing keys almost entirely and focused on classical and jazz guitar (I've played guitar since I was about six and am 38 now). A couple years ago, I got the itch to play out again and joined a band that played a lot of the stuff I liked. We've opened for national acts, played some of the largest stages, and have been hired to play congressional parties and for some well to do rich people. Sounds great, doesn't it? 3 of my fellow band mates have no desire to learn a single new song, practice, or even perfect the stuff we play now. It's driving me crazy.

If you're not happy playing with bands right now, don't. Do what makes you happy. And if playing by yourself makes you happy (and that's ALWAYS made me the most happy), do that. If/when you decide to join a band again, it'll be the right time when YOU know it is.

The question about selling gear is a personal one. Some people on here buy and sell gear like it's going out of style. I keep gear because the used market is so bad and someday I may want that piece back.

-Mc

• Members

Whoa ... I thought you were like 42.

Yeah man, you need to live it up a bit. Get creative, don't waste all this time with other people.. because soon you'll be old and nothing to show for it as "an artist". Just some old gigger.

I've been playing music since i was 15, not until I was about 20 did i play with other people. I'm 29 now and I just recently quit my band of the last 5 years (Chandeliers). It was just getting to me, and maybe because at my day job I'm standing around a museum all day... I just started thinking about things I can/should accomplish on my own.

The band thing doesn't appeal to me artistically anymore... it's just fun to hang out with friends and play out live. After that it gets old. I want something I'm proud of that people can listen to when I'm dead.

I'm vowing to never be in a group again that has more than 3 members total.

• Members

Speaking of which, not knowing whether you dig piano playing (as opposed to 'keyboard' playing), you might want to consider putting that bunch of money into an upright piano. Obviously I'm not familiar with your housing conditions either
:)
my productivity and level of expression has increased dramatically since getting my upright a few months back - even though I have top class grand pianos at my disposal for practice a lot of the time, being able to play a real breathing instrument just when inspiration or
that
particular mood sets in means the world of difference.
The
most gratifying purhase ever.

I've always wanted an upright, ever since I was a kid. I hear you about the expression and productivity. I don't think the neighbours or my parents would like it tho :p. And I'm planning to move out next year, so I think I'll just save the money..

• Members

What the others have said, don't let the band/biz cr*p get in the way of the music, you're probably better off doing it for pure fun.

imo unless you need the money real bad, you might want to give yourself a bit of cooling off time on selling your kit, if you're anything like me you'll try and stick with stuff until it sours real bad, then the bottom falls out of it and it all looks pretty unpleasant, then after a while things come back into focus in a bit more of a temperate and meaningful way, and it all looks different and a bit more positive again.

it might be worth just hanging fire for a little while, before you do anything that might get to be a pita to undo again later. try sticking your gear in a cupboard or something, and get a handle on how it going to be if you do sell before you actually do.

• Members

Here is a serious question: How does someone who has not played in a band for a decade or more (over two for me) "join a band?" Do you scan the want ads and posters at music stores for bands looking for a guitar player or whatever, give them a call and audition? Are the want ads the right place to look? Or do you just talk to people you know in bands around town?

• Members

I just scanned Craigslist until I found an established band looking for a keyboard/guitar player. Since I've been in this band, I've had offers from several in the Chicago-land area who play the same music we do. Keyboard players are hard to find. It's not that I'm some virtuoso on keys (ask anyone who's heard me play), but they are desperate enough and most songs don't require a virtuoso. Compared to many of the players on here, I really suck. Luckily, there are keyboard players out there that suck more.

-Mc

• Members

Here is a serious question: How does someone who has not played in a band for a decade or more (over two for me) "join a band?" Do you scan the want ads and posters at music stores for bands looking for a guitar player or whatever, give them a call and audition? Are the want ads the right place to look? Or do you just talk to people you know in bands around town?

I used bandmix. To be honest though ,, the best situation which is the one I am in now came through friends of friends. It was more just being at the right place at the right time and knowing some people who got me onboard.

Bandmix was good for finding a place to work the chops back up, but unless you can find a working band thats looking to replace guys who left ,, I question if its a long term thing. Start ups pretty well always turned into a couple month deal, where you could see that nothing was going to happen that would get them out of the basement. drummers and vocals were a big issue as were people who had no idea of how to control their volume. Nice guys but not ready for prime time.

• Members

Seriously, go {censored} yourself you {censored}ing retarted idiot. Stay away from this thread if you have nothing worthwhile to add. Better yet, stay away from KSS and go buy a life.

+1 on that. He really is a {censored}ing twat. People would say "don't feed the troll" but sometimes people need to be told, so

Tremens: you're a {censored}in twat

• Members

DAMMIT!, how come no one with a voyager ever quits music?

Anyway, if you're seriously quitting music because of the lame dorks you've been playing with then you're an even lamer emo loser. It seems like you're looking to others for validation, and or relying on others to make things happen. In art, especially in todays society, everyone is so self obsessed, that it's nearly impossible to get an actual honest collaboration going. Which is why 99% of the music I make is alone. It took me my entire 20's to realize this is the way to go.

Music comes from the heart. True artists don't have an option to quit it, it owns them, they couldn't get away from it if they wanted to. You're young so maybe you don't realize this about yourself yet. Or maybe you're just some poser that got into music for money and fame, in which case i'm glad you're quitting music, because there's enough of those people, and they do more damage then good.

• Members

Or maybe you're just some poser that got into music for money and fame, in which case i'm glad you're quitting music, because there's enough of those people, and they do more damage then good.

I got into music because I had a lot of fun playing my boards and because I got a lot of energy out of it. I never came close to making money (50 bucks for some shows, that's it) or fame for that matter. I understand what music is about. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the impression that you think you're better than other people that think differently about music, which is quite sad really.

• Members

Taking some time off might help. I wouldn't be too hasty to sell gear though as from your sig it looks like you have a couple of nice synths that would cost you more to recover if you decide you want them back again sometime.

I was still in grad school when I was 22 and had not even started working my "real" professional career as an industrial applied mathematician / scientist. I think that in a professional career of any type there are definitely ups and downs, periods of low creativity and/or productivity, periods of high output and energy, and times feeling really low and really high about the immediate situation and even about the recent or long term history and experience. After a certain amount of time I just realized that I have to ride out some of the low points, do my job, and wait for the next wave. The problem for my line of work is that sometimes the job is tied intimately to the careers of other people and the various projects and have time scales on the order of half a decade.

So I would be patient, knuckle down and keep up your chops as a keys player, try to enjoy the little things, and be on the lookout for opportunities to do something that you find interesting.

• Members

One thing to consider: I have a fulltime job and beside that I'm going to school one day per week. That adds up to being busy with work/education 6 days a week. The little time I have left I'd rather not spend at rehearsal when I'm not even enjoying myself. I think limiting myself to one board could improve my creativity, and if I need more sounds I can always use some of the softsynths I have.

• Members

Thing is, you're only 22. You're not old enough to get burnt out yet =o] Take a small break, keep your gear. If after 6-12 months you don't feel any different, maybe this isn't for you at all. But keep working on stuff on your own. You really don't need others, unless you feel the need for a proper band environment. Perhaps you'll get lucky and find the people who actually fit with you. Who knows.

Keep on truckin'....

• Members

Seriously, go {censored} yourself you {censored}ing retarted idiot. Stay away from this thread if you have nothing worthwhile to add. Better yet, stay away from KSS and go buy a life.

LOL :thu:

Oh {censored}, I'm still laughing.

Seriously Tom, As others have said, take a break man, maybe focus on some other hobbies or whatever and give yourself some time to clear your head. Sometimes you have to back away from something in order to regain your focus.

I took a 20 year break and never thought I would embrace music again but now I can't live without it.

Keep your chin up!

:wave:

Archived