Wow, Explosions in the Sky video

FWAxeIbanez

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I highly doubt that any amount of convincing will help somebody like a band. If somebody doesn't immediately like a band, they probably won't ever.

Explosions..., Pelican, Isis, GYBE!, etc. are all VERY difficult bands to get into...even though it may seem relatively easy since it's not extreme music by any means.

A lot of people are fans of strait-up 3:30 rock songs that get to the point quickly, they don't like bands that beat around the bush and don't go anywhere...it can come off as slightly arrogant and pretentious at times. Can't blame them for that. They have their tastes.

As soon as I saw this thread I knew that you'd get some negative opinions of this band on HC, lol! We have a lot of heavy metal guys and guys who idolize shredders on this board. They wouldn't like this.

All that being said, I am a huge fan of all the bands I mentioned. I love both Isis and Pelican, and EITS is great as well...but I have to be in a very specific mood to listen to EITS. Usually drunk or high, sitting in my living room alone, smoking a cigarette, groove/mood lighting cranked, with an Absolut vodka-tonic in hand (or White Russian). I might have a nice suit on also, lol!

John Coltrane or Miles Davis also makes me want to put on a suit and drink cocktails all night too.

• Members

The scottish indie scene is bursting to the seems with bands in this style.

From playing in a band around here, and working as a live engineer in the smaller venues, I'm sick to death of this kind of instrumental post rock. It's very easy to be done badly!

There is something of a "we're more enlightened than you cretin" vibe that comes off these local bands that are into this kin of music. Kind of like they've reached the pinnacle of artistc being. Or maybe that's just all the wankers from Glasgow!

• Members

Originally posted by bob sakamano

from their myspace page, though from the pics someone had up earlier, this isnt an exhaustive list (there was a marshall in the pic):

GUITARS:

Mark plays a black Fender Toronado with standard Atomic Humbucker pickups. This model is sometimes confused with a Jaguar or Jazzmaster. Even though this "low budget" guitar is manufactured in Ensenada (Mexico), it is highly praised by musicians and critics alike.

Michael is the only one in the band who plays two different instruments onstage. He was using a tobacco sunburst Washburn XB-100 with standard pickups. Now his bass is a black OLP MM2. His guitar is a beautiful blue and white Ibanez Talman (unsure of the exact model), with standard "lipstick" pickups.

Munaf is the owner of a Lake Placid blue Fender Stratocaster (unspecified model). The pickups appear to be the standard single coil type. More recently he has been playing a Fender Telecaster that appears to be Sherwood green. Both instruments have been heavily decorated with a collage of cartoon strips, miscellaneous images and graffiti.

AMPLIFIERS:

Mark plays through a Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue.

Michael uses a Peavy T-Max bass head, along with an Ampeg SVT-410AV (4x10 cabinet).

Munaf plugs into a Fender Dual Showman head with a Fender 2x12 cabinet.

EFFECTS:

Mark sheds tears with an Electro-Harmonix Russian Big Muff, along with a Tech21 Sansamp GT-2. He also employs a Line 6 DL-4, an Arion Stage Tuner, and finally a Boss FV-50L volume pedal.

Michael rocks with an Ibanez Tube King, as well as a Boss DD-5 and an Arion Stage Tuner. It also appears that he is now using a MXR Distortion Plus, along with a Tech21 Sansamp GT-2 and a Boss RV-3.

Munaf makes magic with an Ibanez DE-7 and a Vox V830 Distortion Booster. He also uses an Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner in addition to a Tech21 Sansamp GT-2. Recently, the guitarist has been spotted using a Boss RV-3 Digital Reverb/Delay. An E-Bow and a small metal tube (he taps on the guitar strings) are some of the special tools he uses at key moments.

PERCUSSION:

Chris is last but far from least. Apparently his seven piece dark blue Pearl drum set was purchased sometime in the early 1990's. The kit he uses consists of a snare, a single mounted tom drum, one floor tom, the bass drum, the hi-hat, one ride cymbal, and a single crash cymbal. As far as tools, he uses a pair of black brushes (unknown model & brand), a pair of mallets (unknown model & brand), various drumsticks, and a red half-moon headless tambourine (possibly a RhythmTech). It now appears that Chris has upgraded to a beautiful silver and green sparkle Fibes kit.

one of them was obviously playing through some kind of marshall....

• Members
Originally posted by yourguitarhero

From playing in a band around here, and working as a live engineer in the smaller venues, I'm sick to death of this kind of instrumental post rock. It's very easy to be done badly!

There is something of a "we're more enlightened than you cretin" vibe that comes off these local bands that are into this kin of music. Kind of like they've reached the pinnacle of artistc being. Or maybe that's just all the wankers from Glasgow!

Wankers from glasgow?!:eek: ]
This band from glasgow do some wall of noise stuff rather well;)
http://www.myspace.com/onthisdaywemetgambaspilpil

I think the song tara key shows it best, i like it

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Yuck, I'm kinda glad I don't get to see that side of it... That would kill it for me.

Since posting this, I have seen Explosions in the Sky live, and despite talk of marshall amps, the list that was posted was pretty much dead on.

Joshualogan, if you like Tristeza, check out the Album Leaf... especially the album "in a safe place." It's not entirely like Tristeza, but it's a project of one of it's members and definitely worth listening to.

• Members
Yuck, I'm kinda glad I don't get to see that side of it... That would kill it for me.

Since posting this, I have seen Explosions in the Sky live, and despite talk of marshall amps, the list that was posted was pretty much dead on.

Joshualogan, if you like Tristeza, check out the Album Leaf... especially the album "in a safe place." It's not entirely like Tristeza, but it's a project of one of it's members and definitely worth listening to.

Hey, man. Nice to see you back, was kinda wondering what happened to you.

I already know about the album leaf and I have that album :thu: I think they were invited to record at sigur ros' studio for that album... something like that?

• Members

I like ambient, and admittedly haven't heard alot of EITS, but that sucked IMO. A 3 year old could have written that. My favorite ambient band is Sigur Ros...they make these chums look like complete amateurs. Unless of course I'm missing something and the rest of thier songs are infinitely better.

• Members
I like ambient, and admittedly haven't heard alot of EITS, but that sucked IMO. A 3 year old could have written that. My favorite ambient band is Sigur Ros...they make these chums look like complete amateurs. Unless of course I'm missing something and the rest of thier songs are infinitely better.

:freak:

sigur ros is good and all but I would definitely not rate them over bands like this and mogwai....

• Members
:freak:

sigur ros is good and all but I would definitely not rate them over bands like this and mogwai....

Sigur Ros is so far past Mogwai that you can barely make a comparison. I just don't see how that isn't obvious, but thats just my opinion. Sigur is the real deal.

• Members

Well, a 3 year old definitely could not have written that. I think what you are missing is actually exactly what you hate about it at the same time. Explosions in the Sky are musically succinct... So simple, but they say everything they came to say, musically, at the same time. While many people here think of it as oversimplified, I appreciate thier sparseness. With EITS, every note counts, thats for sure.

Once again, if you just sit there and watch the video with a bowl of popcorn in hand, you'd have more fun (as I said before) watching a pot of water being brought to a rolling boil.

• Members

For you guys into Sigur Ros, you should check out Under Byen (oh nah boon) from Sweden... it's sorta like Sigur Ros or Explosions but with more anxiety and menace with moments of real beauty... great stuff; they'll be in Columbus, Ohio in March... I'd love to go but don't think i'm going to be able to...

Archived