Wow, Explosions in the Sky video

FWAxeIbanez

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by AtarisPunk29

A lot of their music gives me a sense of "ascension" rising out of a calm into a powerful happiness that's not absurd or hedonistic, but just a happiness derived from being happy about where you are, and who you are, and being in this moment. It's music about self-reflection, at least to my ears, and that's ok every once in a while. I am 19 also btw, and I listen to way more music than just the categories you or the other guy posted, though I primarily like jazz, blues, hard rock, classic rock, 90s alternative, prog rock, post-rock, reggae, even some rap, etc, in no particular order. The truth is not all music is just about dancing and having fun in a group of people, or riding around on a summer day with the windows down with your music too loud. Sometimes your taking the train home after a night of just pure elation and your sitting alone on the drunk train thinking, "That night will always be one of the best of my life," exhausted, but eyes wide open trying to remember every detail before those moments slip through your grasp and become just the pale painting of what your night was. Sometimes, you dont evne know what was so good about that night, but you're just driving home without a worry, completely content. That's when I listen to this stuff.

Beautiful. :cry::p

• Members

Originally posted by telephant

BTW that viideo rule. EITS kick ass. And that was Emo's too. That venue is damn hard to get a show at. Probably the hardest in fact...

check out the one I posted, its like 20 mins long but they play a few songs and is actually live, amazing stuff

• Members

Originally posted by des67

check out the one I posted, its like 20 mins long but they play a few songs and is actually live, amazing stuff

Yeah that video was amazing, and pretty much in sync. About as good as I've seen on Youtube with syncing. God I'd love to catch them live.

• Members

wow, I can't believe some of the comments that I read in this thread. It amazes me how some people can't get into this stuff...it's easily some of the most accessible stuff I've ever heard, it's just beautiful to my ears and evokes emotions so much better than your average Jazz/metal/ any other genre kind of stuff. And Justin, why the hell didn't you tell me about that earlier!:mad: I'm going to be in Sacramento that day!:mad::thu:

• Members

I love both Explosions and Sigur Ros... If you guys like the "wall of noise" stuff, check out the Japanese band Mono. They kick ass as well.

Emo's is a great venue too... Saw Isis/Dillinger/Candiria there the summer I lived in Hell. I mean, Texas.

It does look like it's switching between 2 different shows tho...

• Members

Originally posted by chakosh

I love both Explosions and Sigur Ros... If you guys like the "wall of noise" stuff, check out the Japanese band Mono. They kick ass as well.

Emo's is a great venue too... Saw Isis/Dillinger/Candiria there the summer I lived in Hell. I mean, Texas.

Austin is the only city in Texas id ever live in. Of course I was born and raised here so...

• Members

Originally posted by FWAxeIbanez

I was sorta thinkin that too, except the drums are almost exactly spot on... the sound is out of sync for sure. Whether thats from a bad cut and paste type of thing or because of bad encoding, who knows... They really are in perfect time with it, and I keep lookin for somethin way out of place... I dunno, but I love this song to death, and the whole ending just blew my doors off regardless

they are playing in San Francisco on the 11th, I'm gonna try desperately to go. I'll be able to tell you how spot on they are then.

Sir Nipon, you should come too!

Yes, please do. I have never had the chance to see them.

• Members

To the guys who couldn't get into it... Try this. Put on the first video, but skip about a quarter of it. Then minimize your window and start randomly searching the internet.

Don't do anything that takes a lot of thought, just kinda cruise around.

For me, without even meaning to, I get sucked in to the song and get lost in it. If you sit there and wait for something to happen, it will be like watching a pot boil. I had to do this to fall in love with Jesu, but once I did they became one of my favorites.

• Members

To the guys who couldn't get into it... Try this. Put on the first video, but skip about a quarter of it. Then minimize your window and start randomly searching the internet.

For me, without even meaning to, I get sucked in to the song and get lost in it. If you sit there and wait for something to happen, it will be like watching a pot boil. I had to do this to fall in love with Jesu, but once I did they became one of my favorites.

I get what you're saying, it's just not my kind of thing.

But the real issue is that, when I see a thread title like "WOW, Explosions in the Sky video", I want to see {censored} blowing up! :p:D

• Members

Originally posted by Meatbeard

What amps do Explosions use live????

from their myspace page, though from the pics someone had up earlier, this isnt an exhaustive list (there was a marshall in the pic):

GUITARS:

Mark plays a black Fender Toronado with standard Atomic Humbucker pickups. This model is sometimes confused with a Jaguar or Jazzmaster. Even though this "low budget" guitar is manufactured in Ensenada (Mexico), it is highly praised by musicians and critics alike.

Michael is the only one in the band who plays two different instruments onstage. He was using a tobacco sunburst Washburn XB-100 with standard pickups. Now his bass is a black OLP MM2. His guitar is a beautiful blue and white Ibanez Talman (unsure of the exact model), with standard "lipstick" pickups.

Munaf is the owner of a Lake Placid blue Fender Stratocaster (unspecified model). The pickups appear to be the standard single coil type. More recently he has been playing a Fender Telecaster that appears to be Sherwood green. Both instruments have been heavily decorated with a collage of cartoon strips, miscellaneous images and graffiti.

AMPLIFIERS:

Mark plays through a Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue.

Michael uses a Peavy T-Max bass head, along with an Ampeg SVT-410AV (4x10 cabinet).

Munaf plugs into a Fender Dual Showman head with a Fender 2x12 cabinet.

EFFECTS:

Mark sheds tears with an Electro-Harmonix Russian Big Muff, along with a Tech21 Sansamp GT-2. He also employs a Line 6 DL-4, an Arion Stage Tuner, and finally a Boss FV-50L volume pedal.

Michael rocks with an Ibanez Tube King, as well as a Boss DD-5 and an Arion Stage Tuner. It also appears that he is now using a MXR Distortion Plus, along with a Tech21 Sansamp GT-2 and a Boss RV-3.

Munaf makes magic with an Ibanez DE-7 and a Vox V830 Distortion Booster. He also uses an Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner in addition to a Tech21 Sansamp GT-2. Recently, the guitarist has been spotted using a Boss RV-3 Digital Reverb/Delay. An E-Bow and a small metal tube (he taps on the guitar strings) are some of the special tools he uses at key moments.

PERCUSSION:

Chris is last but far from least. Apparently his seven piece dark blue Pearl drum set was purchased sometime in the early 1990's. The kit he uses consists of a snare, a single mounted tom drum, one floor tom, the bass drum, the hi-hat, one ride cymbal, and a single crash cymbal. As far as tools, he uses a pair of black brushes (unknown model & brand), a pair of mallets (unknown model & brand), various drumsticks, and a red half-moon headless tambourine (possibly a RhythmTech). It now appears that Chris has upgraded to a beautiful silver and green sparkle Fibes kit.

• Members

This is correct. That's why this music is great to drive with or to think about the day with, etc.

Cool info on the gear.

• Members

Originally posted by chakosh

Mono is amazing, but kind of like a simplified Mogwai+EITS

and I'm positive it's at least two different shows... haha, the EMO's banner in the back disappears and comes back, heh... I was really tired last night.

I wish Do Make Say Think had videos up... or the Mercury Program.

• Members

Originally posted by telephant

BTW that viideo rule. EITS kick ass. And that was Emo's too. That venue is damn hard to get a show at. Probably the hardest in fact...

I'm okay with that. I wouldn't want to play at a place called Emo's.

That song sucked. It repeated itself for 7 minutes and then it was just noise.

• Members

Originally posted by Phishmonkey

I'm okay with that. I wouldn't want to play at a place called Emo's.

That song sucked. It repeated itself for 7 minutes and then it was just noise.

What a lame reason to avoid a venue. You sound like a real open minded feller. It's alright, plenty of people like EITS, and you aren't really making yourself look better by posting about how you don't.

You can like what you want to like, it's cool, but do we really have to say it sucks? It's one thing to pick on some obviously lame band like Skullkin, but if your only beef is that you don't care for the genre, a simple "not my thing" is fine.

Sorry, my rant is over...

Archived