The Total Amp Guts Appreciation Thread ! 1!!

The Evil Dr. X

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

:)

Here is a Peavey 5150 :)

:) notice the bogus little rubber bumper that is tacked on as a support for the flimsy little preamp PCB :)

..... it's not even centered right on the board. :)

:) a wino in some back alley could probably design a better preamp board and support than that. :)

Maybe the Peavey Engineers ran out of ideas and consulted with one :confused:

441b66q.jpg

• Members

hi :)

I'm new here :)

hi :)

this one iz from a Mesa 3 ch Dual rec ! !1! 1! ! :)

Notice the Bogus PCB mounted tube sockets and ribbon cables they now use compared to the older 2 Ch heads !! 1!

..... just liek the crappy Peavey amps ! 1! !! ! :)

.... at least they still use flying leads off the control pots

.... and high quality Orange drop caps ! ! ! ! :)

2d2deoj.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by The Evil Dr. X

Here is a Peavey 5150

notice the bogus little rubber bumper that is tacked on as a support for the flimsy little preamp PCB

First of all, looks like you've got some problems there with your power section... :eek:

Second of all, that preamp board support is screwed in with a METAL SCREW. There is a metal screw holding in that rubber washer, and I had some arcing between the screw and the preamp board, and it actually got worse and worse until the amp stopped working entirely.

It started melting some traces but at least it still works fine and the problem got fixed before anything was damaged to the point of needing repairs.

screw3b.jpg

:rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by Illuminatus

New version!

COBRAGUTS025.jpg
[/img]

COBRAGUTS028.jpg
[/img]

In terms of wiring, which one is better? I know they sound the same but the newer ones have an external bias.

Looks like the pots are on a board on the new one and chasis mounted on the old? Anythng else?

• Members

Originally posted by DirtyBird

First of all, looks like you've got some problems there with your power section...
:eek:

Second of all, that preamp board support is screwed in with a METAL SCREW. There is a metal screw holding in that rubber washer, and I had some arcing between the screw and the preamp board, and it actually got worse and worse until the amp stopped working entirely.

It started melting some traces but at least it still works fine and the problem got fixed before anything was damaged to the point of needing repairs.

screw3b.jpg
:rolleyes:

wow ! :) Stellar design !! :)

.... yeah, my power section was kind of weak on my amp ...... :eek:

• Members

Originally posted by Sigel_TTD

In terms of wiring, which one is better? I know they sound the same but the newer ones have an external bias.

Looks like the pots are on a board on the new one and chasis mounted on the old? Anythng else?

Don't really know which one is better. The power tubes are chassis mounted on the old version.

• Members

Originally posted by igge

Here's what our good friend Olaf Krampe is working on right now, I hope he doesn't mind me posting this here. Found it over at the Sloclone forum.

DSC00079.jpg

Need to get me one of those after my VH-4

thats the best metal amp ever, the VH-4 is the best rock amp :)

Archived