Teenage Engineering OP-1 - Preorders tomorrow! $799

spaceship

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think perhaps the age of hip gimmicky or cute musical devices has come to a close in the last 5 years. I wonder how many stinky, bearded men that are over the age of 32 that still live with their parents there are that are left and would pay that much for that. :lol:

• Members

i think the toyish plastic look is a perfect match to the actual sound it generates and the target market.

The perfect tool to create minimalistic beats that annoy the hell out of the adults!

From teenagers for teenagers!

;-)

• Members

I think perhaps the age of hip gimmicky or cute musical devices has come to a close in the last 5 years. I wonder how many stinky, bearded men that are over the age of 32 that still live with their parents there are that are left and would pay that much for that.
:lol:

Stinky - check (at least according to wife)

Bearded - check

Live with parents - x

And I don't want it. Lulz.

• Members

the obvious difference being that this was intended to be an an average product for the average joe using common technology at the time.

the op1 was obviously intended to be hip from the start.

True. But people pay more for the 303 despite it having a LOT fewer features. (Only one oscillator? Pffft!)

And people talk about the OP1 being a plastic toy but it has an aluminum housing, unlike a lot of beloved electro gear.

And I'm guessing it's SUPPOSED to look like a toy--Fischer Price retro and all that.

Haters gonna hate, etc.

• Members

True. But people pay more for the 303 despite it having a LOT fewer features. (Only one oscillator? Pffft!)

And people talk about the OP1 being a plastic toy but it has an aluminum housing, unlike a lot of beloved electro gear.

And I'm guessing it's SUPPOSED to look like a toy--Fischer Price retro and all that.

Haters gonna hate, etc.

I wouldn't call it a case of hating... but rather I'm saying the form is dictating the price over the function. Would I pay almost the price of a Virus for something that doesn't do anything I couldn't already do on stuff I probably already have? No.

That's a practical decision, but sure I'll call it a fad gadget if you want.

• Members

I wouldn't call it a case of hating... but rather I'm saying the form is dictating the price over the function. Would I pay almost the price of a Virus for something that doesn't do anything I couldn't already do on stuff I probably already have? No.

That's a practical decision, but sure I'll call it a fad gadget if you want.

Well, it's not a fad yet because it's not even out. But it's the only sampler/tape-recorder/synth/usb controller the size of a computer keyboard that i know of. So just for that it's a unique tool. And that display is one of the best designs I've seen for a synth. Makes the Blofeld's look clunky!

• Members

I'll give you that...!

It's probably speculation on my part, but I think it was originally intended to be released quite a while ago during the small synth hipster craze. And quite probably due to development issues is only being released now. That's why I feel like maybe it missed the mark a bit and had it been released then, it would have been the apple looking fad gadget those types of people would have wanted then.

Archived