Teenage Engineering OP-1 - Preorders tomorrow! $799

spaceship

• Members

It's probably speculation on my part, but I think it was originally intended to be released quite a while ago during the small synth hipster craze. And quite probably due to development issues is only being released now. That's why I feel like maybe it missed the mark a bit and had it been released then, it would have been the apple looking fad gadget those types of people would have wanted then.

I agree.

Most teenagers (and young adults) won't have $799 to spend on this keyboard, especially in this economy. Sales will likely peak during the first 30 days.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Well, it's not a fad yet because it's not even out. But it's the only sampler/tape-recorder/synth/usb controller the size of a computer keyboard that i know of. So just for that it's a unique tool. And that display is one of the best designs I've seen for a synth. Makes the Blofeld's look clunky!

Actually the iphone can do all that, is smaller, cheaper, has an awesome screen and can make an occasional phone call :)

• Members
This is designed by the guy who did the Monomachine, correct? I'm pretty stoked. Also, it may look toy-like, but it has an aluminum unibody construction, so it should have a decent amount of solidity and heft.

what do you mean? is it Elektron? i guess I'll research what you are saying tho your "correct?" makes me feel its gonna be a wild goose chase.;)

• Members

Is this thing monophonic or polyphonic? Official specs don't say.

Polyphonic.

Four track "tape" recorder, seven synth engines, external input, onboard effects, long battery life, extremely robust construction...I love it. When I played with one last year, it sounded fantastic!

• Members

Polyphonic.

Four track "tape" recorder,
seven
synth engines, external input, onboard effects, long battery life, extremely robust construction...I love it. When I played with one last year, it sounded fantastic!

what about the KDJ ONE? it seems you might like that too. Have you checked it out?

• Members

what about the KDJ ONE? it seems you might like that too. Have you checked it out?

Seen it. Interesting though not really my thing..more of a "mini DAW" with a Gameboy interface.

The OP-1 is a number of very cool little synths packed into an extremely portable/solid housing with sequencers and a little multitrack tape machine. Beautiful industrial design, on par with Apple I think.

Extremely intuitive.

Extremely quirky.

Kind of a "Buchla Music Easel" for the new century IMO. :love:

• Members

No one on this thread has expressed hate, yet at least one person is getting so bent out of shape they are posting insults to members of the forum...

Great way to get banned... good luck with the mods, only a matter of time...

Clearly you didn't catch the irony. I was putting on my ironic troll hat. Hence the troll below. I probably just did it too well.

• Members

No one on this thread has expressed hate, yet at least one person is getting so bent out of shape they are posting insults to members of the forum...

Great way to get banned... good luck with the mods, only a matter of time...

good god, you're like a tattle-tail little girl. for some reason i don't remember you being like this before.

anyway... this thing does look pretty cool for what it is. the lo-fi/chiptune scene is all up in arms over it (then again, they get plenty excited about crap Casios and all sorts of 'junk' noisemakers). not sure how useful it'll be overall, but it seems like a fun portable toy of sorts. looks great too.

• Members

good god, you're like a tattle-tail little girl. for some reason i don't remember you being like this before.

anyway... this thing does look pretty cool for what it is. the lo-fi/chiptune scene is all up in arms over it (then again, they get plenty excited about crap Casios and all sorts of 'junk' noisemakers). not sure how useful it'll be overall, but it seems like a fun portable toy of sorts. looks great too.

By suggesting the mods move your thread I may have saved you from getting banned... That was my idea... to save you from getting banned... ;-)

• Members

haha. well then, much appreciated. :D it shouldn't be an issue worth worrying about though. i guess all it takes is a guy with a stick up his ass and a control complex to have everyone looking over their shoulders. can't say i'm too worried about being banned by teh Puppy for example, he's always seemed very cool and level headed.

• Members
haha. well then, much appreciated.
:D
it shouldn't be an issue worth worrying about though. i guess all it takes is a guy with a stick up his ass and a control complex to have everyone looking over their shoulders. can't say i'm too worried about being banned by teh Puppy for example, he's always seemed very cool and level headed.

Apologies to the thread starter for this slight diversion...

The other day I posted a comment after burster posted his long list of Roland gear... that was it for me burster is a synth god... :) So I say something like... hey burster take a rest, and the poor chap thinks I am saying he should be banned.. oh know what have I done... :cry:

It is so easy for all of us to take things the wrong way.. the strength in our friendship over the internets is making up...

You take care I just was looking out for ya... :wave:

• Members

:thu:

(ok, back to the OP-1 discussion at hand...)

i guess i should look into the specs a bit more, but hopefully recorded songs can be transferred out via USB. i really like the sounds that i've heard from it synth-wise. not sure how feasible the price is, but again, it looks very cool.

• Members

anyway... this thing does look pretty cool for what it is. the lo-fi/chiptune scene is all up in arms over it (then again, they get plenty excited about crap Casios and all sorts of 'junk' noisemakers).

I was irony/hipster trollin', but I honestly do think this thing looks useful. My money is going towards a "real" synth in the immediate future, the Nord Wave, but I would be in on the initial OP-1 run if it weren't for that.

I happen to love "junk" circuit bent Casio stuff though. OBVIOUSLY not as a main synth, but as more of a sound design tool. I love anything that can give you unrepeatable, mangled sounds that you can sample into something like the OP-1, Nord Wave, Blofeld, MicroSampler, etc, and play them live. To each their own. I don't really think the OP-1 is a toy. It may look like one though.......

PS, Diabolical Devices kicks ass.

Archived