Is Slash overrated?

Random Hero

• Members

he is pretty {censored}in cool in my book, his whole thing isn't just about his playing it's about the vibe the he puts out, that little energy or magic or what have you that just makes you look his direction.......he is just a cool mother {censored}er....

and for the record i also am a fan of Dream Theater and John Petrucci......:thu:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I voted no. You dont need to be a technical genius to play awesome solos and I think Slash is a great example of that. Then again I've never really been into technical shreddy stuff like Vai or Petrucci, it just bores me to death (bar Gilbert, who actually makes enjoyable music).

• Members

Slash is the quintessential guitarists rock star. He has the a little bit of glam but more dirty leather jacket than glam, pure Les Paul through a cranked Marshall sound, smokin blues based guitar chops that is the foundation of real rock music, rock star swagger and attitude that epitomize the spirit of rock-n-roll. Sure he's a little sloppy at times, but that rock music man! If you lose sight of that, then you might as well be a jazz musician.

I Personally won't listen to G-N-R. I've been there and that time has passed 15 years ago. But if you want to point to the essence of what a rock guitarist should be, you would be right on the mark with Slash. Slash, Joe Perry, (younger) Eddie VanHalen, etc. I mention younger Eddie because he still remembered to rock between his noodling back in the day.

• Members

Theres no doubt about it, the guy has loads of fans but then again so does Kirk Hammet...

He bores me, I think his licks riffs an melodies are sophmoric and cheesey, hes sounds raw but it lacks balls...

I liked the first album for about a week before I got tired of it...

I love old School rock but slash and Co. never did a thing for me...

• Members

Originally posted by STEEL KAGE

Theres no doubt about it, the guy has loads of fans but then again so does Kirk Hammet...

He bores me, I think his licks riffs an melodies are sophmoric and cheesey, hes sounds raw but it lacks balls...

I liked the first album for about a week before I got tired of it...

I love old School rock but slash and Co. never did a thing for me...

Agreed...That about sums it up.

• Members
Originally posted by cloudnine

But...but...

HE DOESNT DO MAD SWEEPZ LIKE JOHN PETROOCHI!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahha

slash IS a god. he plays with more rhythm and feel than most shredhead guitar wankers do.

he made a billion kids want to pick up a guitar.

the guitar parts on estranged, november rain, beggars and hangers-on plus everything else are amazingly written compositions that sound more interesting than a load of twiddly {censored}-mess.

:thu:

• Members
Originally posted by Random Hero

He seems to have this pure guitar god status, but isn't a pure technical monster or anything (not that that means everything, not by any means)

I voted yes, purely because I know some people who think he's the greatest player on the planet.

This thread isn't intended to start a flame war, by the way, i'm just interested.

Just because you know some other people think he's the greatest player on the planet, and you dont... does that mean that you dont let them?

I think whatever guitarist who has gotten as far as slash deserves their position. It's not all about technique, it's about being a true rockstar ;)

• Members
Originally posted by Random Hero

He seems to have this pure guitar god status, but isn't a pure technical monster or anything (not that that means everything, not by any means)

I voted yes, purely because I know some people who think he's the greatest player on the planet.

This thread isn't intended to start a flame war, by the way, i'm just interested.

IMO he's a really good rock guitarist who can write and play decently. I'd put him far ahead of Clapton (though Cream kicked @ss), who many people believe is a guitar god. Technically, he's overrated if people put him above guitarists who have more technical mastery of the guitar, but he definitely doesn't suck, IMO. And if G&R would've had a singer who didn't sound like a parrot being harrassed I would have really liked that band. :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by adiohead

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahha

slash IS a god. he plays with more rhythm and feel than most shredhead guitar wankers do.

he made a billion kids want to pick up a guitar.

the guitar parts on estranged, november rain, beggars and hangers-on plus everything else are amazingly written compositions that sound more interesting than a load of twiddly {censored}-mess.

:thu:

Beggars and Hangers-On is great, listening to it now :)

I prefer Doin' Fine though, great song/riffs.

• Members

Slash rocks. He has a signature sound. Very feely type player.
You could pick his solo out of a 100 others. Not so with a lot of shredders.

the rock guys with signature sounds are the great ones, IMO. EJ, YJM, Slash, Angus, EVH, Randy, Knopfler, etc..

Slash created some awesome melodic leads which a lot of technical guys could never do. It's about the melody, not speed.

Most of the shredders practice so much metronome scales, and stuff like pedal tone licks, and do stuff by the book. That's great but they all sound the same, playing they typical shred guitar, and same sweep and sequenced licks. Because they all learn from the same book.

And when you listen to them, they always sound like they're thinking too much.

YJM is a shred guy but an exception imo. Because he has a unique sound. Easy to pick him out of a crowd by his style. Vibrato, his tone because he lets his fingers get the sound by playing through lower gain pickups and amps. Also though he does a lot of speed stuff, he still is able to create a unique sound.

• Members

In "Sweet child O'mine" I swear the dude never plays a chord. He solos through the whole song and got away with it, and the song was a huge hit. But to him it was a joke at first.

Deep down all of us want to solo through an entire song.

The wah drenched solo in "Civil War" always comes to mind when I think of Slash.

Archived