Is Slash overrated?

Random Hero

• Members

I've never heard why many consider him so great. Not many solos he's done are very memorable or stand out. His tone is dry & plain.

I think his playing reflects his appearance---sloppy.

I saw GnR open for Motley Crue and they were not very good. Slash was hitting bum notes and stumbling all over the stage.

I've always wondered if it was really his playing or his attitude that attributed to his status. I think it's more the attitude. Izzy deserves as much if not more credit for GnR's success.

All of that said, I don't dislike him. Appetite for Destruction is a fantastic record. I really like his soloing on Sweet Child O Mine before the wah kicks in. His solo on November Rain is very very good.

Slash is good rock guitarist. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by buddastrat

Slash rocks. He has a signature sound. Very feely type player.

You could pick his solo out of a 100 others. Not so with a lot of shredders.

the rock guys with signature sounds are the great ones, IMO. EJ, YJM, Slash, Angus, EVH, Randy, Knopfler, etc..

Slash created some awesome melodic leads which a lot of technical guys could never do. It's about the melody, not speed.

Most of the shredders practice so much metronome scales, and stuff like pedal tone licks, and do stuff by the book. That's great but they all sound the same, playing they typical shred guitar, and same sweep and sequenced licks. Because they all learn from the same book.

And when you listen to them, they always sound like they're thinking too much.

YJM is a shred guy but an exception imo. Because he has a unique sound. Easy to pick him out of a crowd by his style. Vibrato, his tone because he lets his fingers get the sound by playing through lower gain pickups and amps. Also though he does a lot of speed stuff, he still is able to create a unique sound.

I usually agree with you on everything; Not on slash though..... Perception is a wild thing!!!

• Members

Lot's of memorable playing- that's why I think he's great. I can pretty much sing out note-for-note every solo off of Appetite for Destruction and a bunch of the Use your Illusion solos- and so can alot of people who don't even play guitar. Yea, he's not the most technical ever but his songwriting- especially in regards to his solos- is very melodic and tasteful hence why his solos are so recognizable. :thu:

• Members

I'm a big Slash fan. Nothing that hasn't been said before memorable rhythms, solid solos. Yeah, he isn't as "flashy" as some of the shreddy guys, but I can't listen to that stuff.

In general, I find it interesting how there are a handful of guitarists that I really enjoy (Slash, Alex Lifeson, Marty Friedman) that I can't really put a finger on why, and a couple that I can't stand (Tom Morello, Vai, Satch)...

• Members
Originally posted by Sourze

Just because you know some other people think he's the greatest player on the planet, and you dont... does that mean that you dont let them?

I think whatever guitarist who has gotten as far as slash deserves their position. It's not all about technique, it's about being a true rockstar
;)

No, they can think what they like. I was just curious, like i've said 3 or 4 times.

Slash > John Petrucci? John Petrucci > Slayer ;):p:love:

• Members

what makes a guitar god???

a) someone who can play loads of notes and technically "difficult" stuff

or

b) someone who writes, records and performs music that people listen to, remember and enjoy?

Since AFD is one of my favourite albums ever, I'd obviously vote he is a guitar god. I'd even rate Noel Gallagher over JP in the stakes :freak:

• Members
Originally posted by Big Hair

I'd obviously vote he is a guitar god. I'd even rate Noel Gallagher over JP in the stakes
:freak:

Uh...I was with you ...up until the Oasis reference...:freak:

But anyway... ;) ...I know I'm about 10 yrs behind the times...but I've been learning some Appetite songs...lately - for a possible GNR tribute project....(alleviates set list problems...) and developing new respect for Slash. Tasty bluesy solos... Had forgotten how great AFD was...:thu:

• Members

For me the whole "technical" thing is overused. Slash is like Clapton or Hendrix who put alot of feeling into each note. I remember when Slash won guitarist of the year for Guitar Player magazine back in the late 80's/early 90's and I think it was well deserved.

Alot of these players use a ton of effects and super-fast playing and I think they lose alot of "feel". Slash basically plugs a Les Paul into a Marshall to get his main tone and it sounds great.

• Members

I dont get why people keep comparing slash to shredders? what does one have to do with the other? I can think of Dozens of non shred players that Id rather listen to

Personally, I think GnR did as well as they did because of timing. When they came out, they were different than most of what was going on back then.

He just doesnt do a thing for me and thats cool, If you enjoy him, then thats cool too. Guitar God? Nah...

• Members

Ratings are overrated.

He wrote one really killer riff (SCOM) that allows him "great" status.

Ask yourself if GnR has ever done another album anywhere near as strong as AFD? Why? Because of a f'd up singer, trashing the original drummer, and weak songs.

That first album took them a couple years to write, and they perfected it in the clubs playing it till it was perfection..then captured it in the studio. Legend.

Then the money, ego, dropping original members..etc. the results were pretty crappy in comparison. To compare a one album band (even a great album) to Led Zep or even Fleetwood Mac, is very lopsided.

SCOM and lots of other songs on AFD deserve a place in rock history, however very little that came after (in any of the other bands incl VR) do.

IMHO, YMMV PC

Archived