Is Slash overrated?

Random Hero

• Members

He seems to have this pure guitar god status, but isn't a pure technical monster or anything (not that that means everything, not by any means)

I voted yes, purely because I know some people who think he's the greatest player on the planet.

This thread isn't intended to start a flame war, by the way, i'm just interested.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Slash is sometimes overrated for his playing abilities BUT he isn't overrated for the things he has done and accomplished.
He has written many unforgettable riffs and solos and his solos fit to the music very well IMO.

Although his bends are off quite often and he makes many mistakes, I still like his playing.

• Members

THE BALLOT WAS CONFUSING.... THE BALLOT WAS CONFUSING!!!!

But seriously... I saw his snakepit band and velvet revolver a coupla times. Couldn't stand his choice in singers. But when he came out to solo, we were left with this thought of "WHOA... I'm sure he's supposed to be a lot better than that!". Hell, my mate's kid pulls off more complicated stuff than that and he's 14!

He's got good control, dynamics and he can snog a microphone like a vietnamese prostitute... but overrated? Yep, fraid so.

Nice guy though! Met him a few times and provided you talk marshall / gibson, he can go all day hahahah!

• Members

He's not overrated at all.
Nobody in their right mind compares him to guitar shredders. 2 totally different genres of guitar music.

He is a blues based traditional styled guitar player and as such he is great and not overrated. He fits his genre of guitar playing well.

He helped write one of the biggest selling albums in the history of rock. Thats a monumental accomplishment that puts him in the league of greats like Led Z and The eagles and fleetwood mac in some ways.

GNR is a lot more boring without him... because he is not overrated at all.

• Members

I say he is not overrated because IMO only MORONS think you need to be technical or play a million notes per seconed and make gay ass retarded faces like your squirting cum like steve vai to be a guitar GOD...

David Gilmore = Guitar God
Alex Lifeson = Guitar God

get it???

xgx

• Members

Originally posted by Moshaholic

I say he is not overrated because IMO only MORONS think you need to be technical or play a million notes per seconed and make gay ass retarded faces like your squirting cum like steve vai to be a guitar GOD...

get it???

xgx

like I said in my original post...

• Members

Slash is old school. Put it in context. His favorite album is Rocks by Aerosmith. If you look at Joe Perry (a really sloppy player) or Jimmy Page (or Ace Frehley, for that matter) -- all "guitar gods" from the 1970s -- neither were very technical. Back in the 70s, it was more about the "feel" than what scale you were playing or how good your picking was.

I just think Slash came from this era stylistically, and cannot be aptly compared to a Jeff Loomis type player.

• Members

Originally posted by Random Hero

He seems to have this pure guitar god status, but isn't a pure technical monster or anything (not that that means everything, not by any means)

I voted yes, purely because I know some people who think he's the greatest player on the planet.

This thread isn't intended to start a flame war, by the way, i'm just interested.

Don't originality and creativity count for anything? There are thousands of players who can emulate him or others or play 1000 notes per second, but that bores me to hell after the first 10 seconds.

• Members
Slash helped write and record one of the greatest rock & roll CD's of all time!

Pay some respect right now bitches! :mad:

Also he is truly 1 of the most recognizable guitar figures of all time, i know it was the hat and image but he is still recognizable today and thats some 15+ years later, good bad or indifferent i think thats a GREAT thing for clowns like us..

:idea:

PS - The last 3-5 years all we see are rappers and punk wanna-bee's.. :freak::freak:

• Members

Originally posted by Moshaholic

get it???

xgx

+1

• Members

Originally posted by cloudnine

But...but...

HE DOESNT DO MAD SWEEPZ LIKE JOHN PETROOCHI!

Every single time I start a thread criticising anyone, it comes back to the fact that either A) I like Dream Theater or B) I like John Petrucci.

{censored} you, I said myself it wasn't all about technical prowess in the very first post - one of my favourite players is James Hetfield, and I wouldn't call him a technial monster.

I just made this thread out of curiosity more than anything else.

• Members

Originally posted by cloudnine

I was just yankin' yer balls. I can see why people think Slash is overrated, but I don't think so.

You put a lot of emphasis on technical prowess (and that's cool), and it's just fun to tease you about it.

I like listening to technically gifted players, but it still isn't everything, as I said.

Archived