OK KORG Fanboys What KORG products do you own and how do you use them?

DJ RAZZ

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have a Triton Pro which I use as a doorstop and occasionaly at gigs and recordings, Wavestation which gets an occasional spin in studio, Kaossilator which I use at the gigs regularly, while the N5EX gets to go on jams because its lightweight. I use Legacy for some processing ( MS20FX ) and occasional synth texture.

So plenty of Korg here.

• Members

I remember getting a Poly-800 when they came out, pretty cool for the time.

A friend of mine had one of those early on, but didn't keep it because of the menu diving and low polyphony. It was nice and light but not the best build quality from what I remember.

• Members

Korg: Karma (maroon monster), OASYS- 76, M3-73 (loaded including EXB RADIAS) and RADIAS module, Legacy collections (vsti). I will soon add a KRONOS 61. A little redundant you say? Not really. I program KARMA-fied combi collections and there will definitely be some tweaking required for the KRONOS pcgs.

Non-Korg: Roland JD 990, R-8, V-synth XT, V-synth GT, Fusion-61 (fully loaded), Kawai M8000 (88 piano style 4 bus midi keyboard controller) still the best imho.

Guess which one I prefer hands-down and use the most.

• Members

A friend of mine had one of those early on, but didn't keep it because of the menu diving and low polyphony. It was nice and light but not the best build quality from what I remember.

That's true, it looked like something that came inside a box of cereal as the prize, really cheap and flimsy, and the menu diving wadn't too bad once you got the hang of it (like anything I suppose)

For the time it was pretty good, wasn't expensive and did the job. The one with the reverse colour keys was god-awful ugly!

There was some clown on the local kijiji who had one for sale, called it an amazing retro synth, just like the Jupiter 8 but only better, LOL

• Members

My first synths were a Juno-106 and an EX-800. I sold the EX to one of the other board members here. It was pretty cool for it's time, but the paraphonic filter always bugged me, and it seemed impossible to get timbers from it that DIDN'T sound like a square wave. The EX-800 and the SV-1 are the only Korg pieces I've ever owned.

• Members

Big Korg fan here. Currently using these, mainly for ambient music:

Micro X

M 3M w/ Radias exb board

Wavestation SR

Trinity Rack

Kaoss Pad

However, I'm not monogamous with Korg and use lots of other synths like:

Roland V-Synth, JD990, Kurzweil K2000R, Yamaha FS1R, Emu Morpheus, Kawai K5000R, Novation X Station.

• Members

On stage... very soon... none! :thu::D I'm working a Muse Receptor into my onstage rig and hope to permanently say 'bye, bye' to any Korg gear onstage. I have a Triton Extreme that's been in the shop since Jan 3rd for a simple vol pot replacement(Korg stated 6-8 weeks for the part... probably closer to 6-8 months). I have a Micro X toy I plan on selling soon... in the past I've owned a DW8000, M1. N5, Triton, Triton LE and fo the last few months I skipped around a bit with an M3 but felt the investment wasn't worth it. I'm just not feeling Korg's product design, features, build quality or available soundsets in their current product offerings to make anything happen in present. So I'm replacing my Extreme on stage with a Receptor. It doesn't mean I'm done with Korg... maybe I'll check out Kronos in a year or two when the price comes down. Maybe I'll pick up a few future pieces for the home studio. But honestly the last 5-6 years has been pretty disappointing for live gear.

• Members

As much as I post about the OASYS (which I use for 95% of my current composition), my other hardware is non-Korg:

Access

Yamaha

Roland

Ensoniq

E-MU

Alesis

From 1984 - 1999, Korg was a non-factor for me. (I was all Yamaha, Roland and E-MU) I perked up when they started putting high pass filters and MOSS options into their workstations. Anyway, I typically use the OASYS (and sometimes Virus TI plugged into it) and either use it to rip wave files to thumb drive, or capture audio to my editing programs (Premiere, Canopus). A lot of videos at my

show it in use.

• Members

I have a Micro X and M3 61. I don't think that makes me a fanboy...

I use the M3 as my main controller. I also use the pianos, electric pianos, guitars, basses, and drums quite a bit, otherwise I mostly use software. I only fiddle around with the karma stuff when I want to waste a couple of hours goofing around.

100_4721.jpg

• Members

I have a Wavestation SR that I use mainly for pads and weirdness.

... an M3 that I use as a scratch pad for songwriting, and in some cases for complete production.

... an ESX-1, EMX-1, EA-1, and ER-1, which I use for cooking up rhythms and bass lines, and just plain fun.

... a Triton Pro with Moss that I don't use much any more, but it's worth more to me than I can sell it for, so I keep it.

... an R3 for playing around with in my favorite easy chair.

... a Radias that complements the Virus, Q, Andromeda, and V-Synth quite well.

... a D3200 that I use for portable multi-tracking.

... a Kaoss Pad and KP3 that I use with various drum machines and grooveboxes.

... DS-10+ for playing on the go.

And last, I've had a Poly 800 for over 25 years that now gathers dust in a closet.

• Members

* X3R - This is a rack mount version of the X3 workstation, basically an X2 workstation with fewer keys and no "X2 Piano".

When I use it, it's for a few key patches I love to this day; a very nice thick electric piano/synth/pad thing, a very crisp drumkit, and a random-pitched velocity-switched synth patch.

* Triton Pro 76 - This was my go-to workstation for years and I still use a few key patches from it; an electric guitar patch, a thick resonant pad patch, and more.

This is for sale, but I'll be replacing it with a Triton Rack and loading it up with expansion cards.

* OASYS 76 - This is my current (and outgoing) go-to workstation. I use it for anything and everything unless I'm using softsynths, EZDrummer, etc. Just got Omnisphere, so that's going to change some.

It is also for sale (fully updated, basically perfect, first $3K cash FIRM takes it, call me) as I have a pre-order on a KRONOS 88.

* ESX-1 - Sold, but I will be putting iElectribe and iMS-20 (as well as MANY other music-related apps) on my iPad2 when it arrives.

• Members

By now means a fan boy.

Hardware I use though -

Korg - Electribe ESX, EMX and Korg Prophecy

E-Mu - Ultraproteus

Yamaha - Tenori On

Analog Solutions - Telemark

Wouldn't mind getting a Radias either (or a MS200R)

(If I get to rob a bank some time soon I'll add a Sequentix Cirklon to the mix I think - either that or a Genoqs Nemo though I like the feature set and operation of the Cirklon more)

Software - Reason + Record (latest versions) + a handful of very good refills.

Audacity.

Works quite well for me and is a good balance between hardware and software over all for my needs.

• Members

No fan-boy here.

I have M3m Xpanded & Triton Le.

I miss some sounds on my old N364.

I use my Korgs for composition - not live playing.

I admit -- I'm a KARMA fan-boy.

I would not have purchased the M3m if it did not have KARMA.

I want: NX5r module & SP170 digital piano.

I DON'T want: Kronos.

Archived