OK KORG Fanboys What KORG products do you own and how do you use them?

DJ RAZZ

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

CX-3 v2.0 (circa 2002) - used extensively cause I love that B3 sound, both live and in studio.

Radias - used mostly in studio but did a brief stint in a disco band where it came in VERY handy - particularly the vocoder and analog-ish leads. Brass and Eps are remarkably usable as well.

Pandora PX5D - very handy for practicing with the headphones late at night.

AX3G - used often when recording. I find it prints better than my POD XT live - particularly for clean tones. Amazing for a $49 box!

Various tuners rackmount and handheld - the standard for years.

Legacy Collection -mostly for the Wavestation, but the other modules have come in handy from time to time as well. Studio only.

Soon to come - Kronos 61. Will replace quite a few keyboards and softsynths. Always wanted an Oasys but couldn't spend that kind of $. This is a godsend.

• Members

I mainly use a moog and a JV in tunes..I have an EA-1 but I dont use it much (does a monotron count?)...I bought a micro-x recently, $300 new with 3 years warranty, and I think its excellent..i was really surprised..

I just use it as a sound module but the editor is much more indepth than I expected and the fact that its VST is great as well...half the original price and an extra two years warranty as well as its own case...whats not to like

• Members

Updated photo - I have been "rediscovering" my Korg Micro X - what a GREAT instrument this is. I've been doing combi layers all over the place with the M3 and having tons of fun.

If the sound library in the Micro X was in a rack module, it would be selling for twice or triple what it does. Forgetting the 25-note keyboard and plastic case - playing the Micro X using a 61-note keyboard is an absolute hoot!

100_4752.jpg

• Members

Updated photo - I have been "rediscovering" my Korg Micro X - what a GREAT instrument this is. I've been doing combi layers all over the place with the M3 and having tons of fun.

If the sound library in the Micro X was in a rack module, it would be selling for twice or triple what it does. Forgetting the 25-note keyboard and plastic case - playing the Micro X using a 61-note keyboard is an absolute hoot!

totally agree...even the multi combo patches are a laugh....my missus still kills herself laughing when I open up a rave one and go daft for ten mins lol

you would think its a toy but open up the editor and theres a wealth of stuff you can change..drums are pretty usable too

I wish it was a rack module..then maybe they couldve housed it better and got rid of the wall wart

• Members

Korg R3

microSAMPLER

miniKP

Currently been wanting to get a microX since my other non-Korg gear doesn't have ROM sounds. To those who have the microX, can any sound be manipulated with LFOs, ADRS, filters, etc? I used to own the Roland MC-505 and LOVED that synth engine. You'd start off by stacking up to four ROM sounds, then tweak them out in a VA like manner.

• Members

Korg R3

microSAMPLER

miniKP

Currently been wanting to get a microX since my other non-Korg gear doesn't have ROM sounds. To those who have the microX, can any sound be manipulated with LFOs, ADRS, filters, etc? I used to own the Roland MC-505 and LOVED that synth engine. You'd start off by stacking up to four ROM sounds, then tweak them out in a VA like manner.

yup pretty much anything can be manipulated, either through the terrible screen and 4 knobs with 12 settings or by standalone/VST editor...i think its got a great little arpeggiator as well, you can even get some realistic guitar strumming on it which was surprising

also remember some of the micro-x's sounds arent available on its bigger brother the X-50

• Members

I realize that when you read my comment above and the Roland thread is no longer around, it's completely out of context and not nearly as funny. :(

Up until the announcement of the Kronos, this is what I had in my studio (all simultaneously):

2 Korg Triton Pro's with MOSS

2 Korg DW-8000's

2 Korg RADIAS

Korg MEX-8000

Korg M50-73

Korg M3-73 with EXB-RADIAS

Korg DSS-1

Korg DVP-1

Korg CX-3 (II)

Korg Electribe MX

Korg KP3

Korg KAOSSilator

Korg nanoKey

Korg nanoKontrol

Korg MR-1

Korg Analog collection (VST's)

Korg Digital collection (VST's)

and a slew of Korg pedals (DS1H's, PS-1's) and expansions (exb-m256, exb-pcm01, exb-pcm03, exb-pcm05, exb-pcm06, exb-pcm07)

Korg Kronos 88 on pre-order

YEARS ago I owned a DW-6000 briefly as well as a PolySix.

I'm not sure if all that makes me a fanboy or not. I'm not looking for a ruling though... Also, since the Kronos is on order, I've started selling a lot of it off and will be down to quite a bit less... maybe.

-Mc

• 1 month later...
  • Members

ha ha, ironically I'd say that about the Roland grooveboxes and speakers I've tried over the last few years, *

and they often suffer from "menu maze" - to edit many parameters,

you have to dive into a confusing menu structure. "what good is power, if you can't get to it?"

I've thought Korg has sounded thin and uninspiring since the M1. At least it's been a slow decline since then.)

I greatly prefer the intuitive simplicity of the Electribe / Kaoss control structure

Perfect for IDM style tweaking, and live jams, anywhere, anytime, that just happen to WORK.

KORG-Lection: 5 ELECTRIBES, 5 KAOSS, 3 KORG iAPPS, 3 DS10, MONOTRON, MICROSAMPLER,

and a retro O1/W FD Keyboard!

[video=youtube;qc5zuowBLqY]

*Notable EXCEPTIONS:

Ultimately, buy your favorite units rather than sticking blindly to any one brand!

(MicroSampler got it a bit wrong, unfortunately! Too few controls for too many functions.)

I'm about to buy the Roland Octa Capture! Based on reviews I've heard here and elsewhere,

say that it sounds great, and offers a straight forward control scheme.

And of course, every VJ loves the Edirol V4 video mixer! (Edirol is now absorbed into the core Roland brand.)

They are the brand that most understands what real VJ's want to use.

• Members

OK guys if you like KORG show me your rigs or list your stuff.

Honk if you're korgy? Get it? The joke is it's extremely funny.

I own a busted EMX1 with three years of dead work on it. I sold all my other gear except my ESQ-1 with no memory for sexy hats. Long story short, they didn't make me sexy to the correct gender or at the very least those very closely resembling said gender.

Everything else is fruity loops, pirated osiclloscope and limiting software (Though what they limit is beyond me, I just throw five or so in the mix just to be right professional like, like Beethoven, the dog not the composer), and doctor dre samples of things he sampled. Somehow, against all odds, I'm vaugely happy.

Next purchase is an M3M, but that's after some more sexy hats.

• Members

Triton Le & M3m.

Both lifted my composition & orchestration skills to a higher level. (Still pretty low, perhaps). The M3m is the most incredible & rewarding musical instrument I've ever owned. And I still don't know how to use it.

Anyone in my position who has the money & does not buy an M3 is missing out.

I also had a Korg guitar tuner. It was sheer crap, not worth the $25 or so I paid.

Archived