Casio WK-7500. Keep Your Eye On This.

• Members

AnotherScott
that it has MIDI over USB.

I shopped for a lightweight 88 key controller w/an on-board soundset late last year.

I refused to buy the Yamaha DGX series (which is a nice, light-weight rig with an XG soundset),

for exactly the same reason. 'MIDI over USB" is a PITA.

It's a non-starter. Any synth that does not at least have a MIDI output is useless for my purposes.

I have several sound modules. Not one of them takes a stupid USB cable.

I actually thought the Casio Previas I saw sounded good & were nice rigs -- until I saw the 'MIDI over USB'.

I have no problem buying a Casio. But w/o a MIDI port, it's not worth $99 to me.

I ended up buying an M-Audio Axiom 61. It leaves a lot to be desired. But at least it has MIDI In/Out.

Screw the idiots at Casio & Yamaha who decided MIDI ports weren't important.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I shopped for a lightweight 88 key controller w/an on-board soundset late last year.

I refused to buy the Yamaha DGX series (which is a nice, light-weight rig with an XG soundset),

for exactly the same reason. 'MIDI over USB" is a PITA.

It's a non-starter. Any synth that does not at least have a MIDI output is useless for my purposes.

I have several sound modules. Not one of them takes a stupid USB cable.

I actually thought the Casio Previas I saw sounded good & were nice rigs -- until I saw the 'MIDI over USB'.

Yes, Yamaha and Casio are both crippling some models this way.

The Privia PX-3 is a very nice piece, and it has MIDI jacks. I don't like the PX-330 very much, but at least it does have MIDI jacks. Of that series, only the bottom PX-130 is stuck with USB only. (There are also many previous models that have MIDI jacks, since the move to USB has been recent.)

• Members

There seem to be a lot of inexpensive USB to midi connectors out there, but I'm not sure if they'd fix the problem of no midi? They seem to be designed more for providing a computer with midi, than replacing the USB with Midi functionality.

Is the issue only the legacy midi ports versus USB ports, or is there a concern with fidelity/latency/jitter over USB (I had thought USB was generally faster).

• Members

Is the issue only the legacy midi ports versus USB ports

The problems with having USB ports instead of (rather than in addition to) MIDI ports on a keyboard are...

1. for live performance, there's no way to connect another MIDI device to your keyboard unless you also bring a laptop computer to the gig (and even then, getting the pieces to work together may be complicated, compared to just being able to plug one device right into the other)

2. keyboards that work with USB on today's computers may not necessarily work with future computers, whether because of hardware (computers may eventually lack USB ports, just as serial and parallel ports have disappeared), or because of software (a MIDI device that works with the current version of Windows or MacOS may not necessarily work with whatever version is shipping a few years from now). You may even find you can't update your current computer to the latest OS without losing compatibility with your keyboard. The Yamaha DX-7 is almost 30 years old, and I can use it with today's computers. I wouldn't be sure that the WK-7500 and other USB-only keyboards shipping today will work with computers 5 years from now, much less 30.

• Members

That IS a lot of board for the money. With the 8 sliders, mic and line in, create and save your own rhythm patterns, 8 part sequencer with sliders, organ with sliders, audio recording, 76 keys, built-in speakers, etc etc, it's a lot of music technology for that price point.

I had the WK-3800 once upon a time (10 years ago?) and liked a lot of things about it: light weight, big sound from on board speakers, surprisingly good piano patch. But now, owning workstations, I've got a better vantage point to judge the sounds, and the other day when I auditioned the lastest incarnation of the WK series I was less than impressed. The piano sound is not bad, but most of the other sounds (using the onboard speakers) were not something I'd want to play! Hopefully they've improved their soundset since then!

For me the biggest drawback is not the lack of a physical MIDI port but the lack of controllers- what were they thinking? No continuous pedal input, and all those sliders but no way to do typical mod wheel/cutoff filter controls. I had a $200 Yamaha e413?, and that little guy bucked the trend: it had two matrix controlled knobs with a surprisingly good cutoff filter. Was fun.

But seriously, esp if I got a board like this for $400-$450, I might consider it. I like to play with a small amp in the park sometimes at drum jams, or play out on the street, and this guy does have good qualities for that: lightweight, inexpensive (don't want to bring my M3 or Nord Stage out to such places), battery operated, mic in. But I'd never get it until I had a chance to play the sounds- the WK-3800? that I had before is noticeably inferior to the sounds of the Roland Gi/Di, the Korg Microstation / PS60.

• Members

IIRC, it can work standalone as a USB Host to legacy midi converter.

Edit: Yup, see here --

This bullet: "standalone operation, capable of bridging between MIDI devices including DIN and USB"

Yes, that's the $199 piece I was talking about... which is still vaporware, it was announced over a year ago. But supposedly it will be out "any day now..."

It's a cool piece with many functions, I'll probably get one.

Adding MIDI ports to the 7500 also can address the other problem Randyman mentioned... once it has MIDI, you can connect pedals or other control boxes to give it continuous controllers. But once you add a $200 interface and perhaps another $150 for some kind of pedal or knob/fader control unit, you've turned a $500 keyboard into an $850 keyboard, and the value equation changes. And it would be a pain to transport and wire up and find stage space for the extra pieces.

• Members

I played one of these 2 days ago. The organ was not that bad surprisingly, even had a leslie on and off. The piano and other sounds were no different than their lower models, now thats bad and was a surprise also. Screen looks great but the action is terrible. You can SWITCH between bender and mod on the wheel but that missing wheel just looks off. This thing is huge and ugly. It reeks of home keyboard. No midi? Do not take this to a pro audition you will be very sorry. I would rather have a JunoDI, Yamaha MM6, or a Korg PS60, seriously. Then you could say "This is my practice AX".

Good keyboard for children and families though. Later

• Members

Did you actually try this yourself? Because the manual I downloaded doesn't say anything about being able to use the wheel for anything except bend.

I don't see this in the manual either, just the mod button shows as assignable. While its possible its buried in one of the menus, I haven't noticed it. Would be nice if it were there, but I'm not counting on it.

• Members

Now you have me doubting myself. did I play a several boards that day but I could have sworn something was was right next to the wheel. Maybe it was the PS60. Any how I do know that the leslie and B3 was much better than the demos on line and that everything else sounded really familiar. With some companies that is a good thing with Casio not so much.

• Members

CASIO?! Did someone say Casio?

I love my casios! :love:

The freaky old squarewave-powered 202:

202.jpg

The unusual additive board the 1000P:

1000p.jpg

...and a few (secret) others. Very useful, very distinctive.

Their emulative keyboards, especially the recent ones...well...I'm not so hot on. :lol:

• Members
:love:

The freaky old squarewave-powered 202:

202.jpg

The unusual additive board the 1000P:

1000p.jpg

...and a few (secret) others. Very useful, very distinctive.

Their emulative keyboards, especially the recent ones...well...I'm not so hot on.
:lol:

I had one of those 1000P's when I was younger. Pretty cool board for it's time.

• Members

Now you have me doubting myself. did I play a several boards that day but I could have sworn something was was right next to the wheel. Maybe it was the PS60. Any how I do know that the leslie and B3 was much better than the demos on line and that everything else sounded really familiar. With some companies that is a good thing with Casio not so much.

I liked the piano sounds actually; thought they were quite good. I'm generally using headphones, mind you? Maybe just a case of different taste? Does your impression match up with this youtube video of the factory demo?

• Members

I AM VERY EXCITED about the new line of Casio WK and Privia series, available April. Specs show these models to be equipped with on board calculators.

Technical details:

8-digits, vintage green vacuum fluorescent display. The display of the calculator will show 12345670. The right-most digit is a half-height 0. very retro.

Scientific functions.

4x AA cells.

Main integrated circuit: NEC uPD179C

Casiofx10_2.jpg

Archived