Casio WK-7500. Keep Your Eye On This.

• Members

My life is getting to be more and more like "The Twilight Zone" !!!!!!!

For the past week, I was thinking of asking Mr. Anderton if he would be so kind as to do ( if he had the time, that is) the kind of review for the WK-7500 that he did( or is STILL doing ) for the Yamaha Motif XS. And right when I check this thread today-BOOM! There he is!

If you aren't against the idea, I think THAT would be just fine. I'm sure it would only take a few weeks (*lol*) The XS thread is what, celebrating it's 4th year on HC?

As I previously stated, I am just *jazzed* about the WK-7500 because I thought Casio had decided to accept its lot in life and that would be it.

SOMETHING must have restarted Casio like Schwarzenegger in "Terminator 2", but WHAT? I would really love to know, because they are obviously back in the game.

One BURNING question Mr. A., just in case, you choose not to review this.

By "pattern sequencing" is Casio referring to the fact that you can work with 2-4 measures at a time and then turn them into a song ALA the Alesis MMT-8?

Or is Casio, referring to something having to deal with drum or rhythm patterns.

Thanks a lot and tell me thats not Rod Serling standing behind me!

:)

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Don't forget, people compare Roland to Korg to Yamaha to Kurz to ... all the time. People compare Casio to, well, other Casios. Casio couldn't compete in the professional market no matter how hard they tried or how much money they threw at R&D It's a low priced, mediocre, home brand and nothing more. That's all they are aiming at and doing fairly well with it. They may have a higher profit margin on their home crap than Korg does on their professional stuff. So, they are successful, just not successful with serious players. There's nothing wrong with that.

Why are you so sure that they can not be better than Korg or Roland?

Please consider that you are talking about electronic instruments, that are made of silicon and metal, instruments that can be the same to another one of the same model.

A "Brand XXX3000" is the same as "Brand XXX3000".

I would believe that is probable that they can not make a quality instrument if they made guitars or violins and were a company with bad luthiers and terrible production system. But those instruments are not made of wood, they are electronics.

So, it is possible for them to make a high quality instrument, as good as any Roland or Yamaha or wherever brand you want.

They just need to use similar technology.

Also, any keyboard will never sound as good as a real acoustic instrument.

• Members

Seems Guitar Center has these stacked to the sky....$499. Given the 40% markup of most keys, that puts the dealer at under $300 without a mega-volume discount. How good can the build quality be, one might ask.

Could I locate an authorized Casio repair station? Maybe a job for the GEEK SQUAD!!!!

• Members

This thread is the epitome of elitism.

It has nothing to do with music, but rather, who's toy is the more popular or more expensive than the instrument being discussed. And the ultimate irony comes from those who lord their piano samples (fake) and organ samples (fake) and whatever sounds as sounding so "close" to the real thing.

If you can't make music with this board then you can't make music.

Sorry for all the negativity but it pisses me off when someone who uses sampled crap bitches about other sampled crap. It's the height of hypocrisy. Either play the real thing or STFU.

:wave:

• Members

Seems Guitar Center has these stacked to the sky....$499. Given the 40% markup of most keys, that puts the dealer at under $300 without a mega-volume discount. How good can the build quality be, one might ask.

Could I locate an authorized Casio repair station? Maybe a job for the GEEK SQUAD!!!!

I highly doubt it has a 40% markup, I bet the margin is thinner than that but I don't work at a music store, so I don't know...I DO know that margins seem to get thinner each year.

The build quality is one of the reasons I'm impressed with the WK-7500. The keyboard is somewhat bigger than I expected given the light weight, but it does not feel "cheap."

• Members

It has nothing to do with music, but rather, who's toy is the more popular or more expensive than the instrument being discussed. And the ultimate irony comes from those who lord their piano samples (fake) and organ samples (fake) and whatever sounds as sounding so "close" to the real thing.

Sorry for all the negativity but it pisses me off when someone who uses sampled crap bitches about other sampled crap. It's the height of hypocrisy. Either play the real thing or STFU.

Well I know where you're coming from, and I think it's more about reality than negativity...but there's an art to making samples, AND an art to playing them. What I like about samples isn't trying to make a "perfect piano sound"...I gave up on that a long time ago, it's pointless. But, you can warp those piano sounds in interesting ways...[mad snickering]...and do things you could never do with a real piano. Too bad John Cage died before samplers came out, he would have had a field day.

And it is valid to compare samples, as some manuacturers get them right and some don't. I remember when the Korg M3 came out, a lot of people though the samples were really great, until they hit the brass. But then Korg came out with an update that had really good brass sounds.

My favorite thing to do with samples is mix them behind synthesized sounds so that the synthesized sounds predominate, but there's that extra "dimension" in the background. Then put 'em both through distortion :) :) Okay, well maybe not through distortion all the time.

• Members

But consider musicians that do not have enough money to afford a real piano.

But I believe the same as you, that this thread is almost all stupid.

• Members

I think it has very little to do with who has a bigger or better keyboard, it has everything to do with the sound and feature set of the instrument.

No doubt you can make music with this board, but that same music done on a pro level board is going to sound better. Craig has obviously found a good use for it, it fills a need for him at a low price. A Korg PA or Tyros would do it better, but there is a huge price jump to get to thsoe boards. I agree there is a market for it, and I hope that a lot of younger players who don't have resources to purchase a pro quality board would purchase one of these if they need a workstation. I know there is a time in my life that I would have jumped on this board.

My 1st board I had after my Rhodes was a Casio 1000P. Ran it thru a Boss Chorus and would hit the delay vibrato and then the vibrato button to simulate a leslie. It was all I had, but it got the job done for a couple years until I could afford something better. I think I paid close to 1000 bucks for it too, it was their top of the line board, but anything from the big mfgs was double that.

I think where this thread got off track was the very 1st post that insinuated that this board was going to be a "Kronos killer". That is what set people off, and it is probably what the intent was anyway. If the post had said hey, check out the features on this Casio, can you believe what they are offering for such a low price, then it would have gone over a little better.

• Members

I think where this thread got off track was the very 1st post that insinuated that this board was going to be a "Kronos killer". That is what set people off, and it is probably what the intent was anyway. If the post had said hey, check out the features on this Casio, can you believe what they are offering for such a low price, then it would have gone over a little better.

I agree with you Dan. But all forums suffer from similar issues and/or comparisons that lead to arguments. Remember when the Alesis Fusion came out, it was touted as an Oasys killer. That lasted all of 15 minutes.

Let's just go play some music!

:thu:

• Members

That's the sort of board I could put to good use - except for one thing.

No MIDI In/Out?

Get real. It ain't even worth $99 to me w/o MIDI.

I think it could have been a pretty good controller for one of my modules - if it had MIDI.

It might even have some good on-board patches. I dunno.

But no MIDI In/Out?

If Casio is going to build serious synths -- they gotta have MIDI.

That's a non-starter.

• Members

By "pattern sequencing" is Casio referring to the fact that you can work with 2-4 measures at a time and then turn them into a song ALA the Alesis MMT-8?

Or is Casio, referring to something having to deal with drum or rhythm patterns.

I'm don't know anything about the MMT-8, but the WK-7500 has both a pattern sequencer where you can sequence drum, rythym (and other instruments) for up to 16 measures. You are able to take the patterns/rythyms and accompaniment already built into the WK-7500 and change ... or create new ones.

There is also a song sequencer. Hope that helps?

• Members

Either play the real thing or STFU.

It was nice having you around here, but here's your new forum:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/1/1/Piano%20Forum.html

Since you think you MUST play the real thing, then I'm sure your place is not here at this keys, SYNTHS and SAMPLERS forum

(plus, if you think all samples and sample playing devices are created equal, you're just not paying attention. not to mention, I want to see you taking your piano around to your gigs. there's so much more stuff wrong with your post, I could just pound on it all day... what an ignorant display...)

• Members

Sorry again everyone, I just needed to let off a little steam. I used to work with a lot of underprivileged people who, despite having a natural talent for music, could never afford even a used instrument to play on. I watched a lot of bright young kids grow up who dreamed of playing music but never got the chance.

I'm not saying this Casio is the greatest thing to come along, but I know some people who would consider a board like this as made of gold.

I'll stay out of here with my opinions.

But before I go:

It was nice having you around here, but here's your new forum:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/1/1/Piano%20Forum.html

Since you think you MUST play the real thing, then I'm sure your place is not here at this keys, SYNTHS and SAMPLERS forum

(plus, if you think all samples and sample playing devices are created equal, you're just not paying attention. not to mention, I want to see you taking your piano around to your gigs. there's so much more stuff wrong with your post, I could just pound on it all day... what an ignorant display...)

CR, you completely missed my point. I kinda felt sorry for you taking all the heat about a month ago for your Christian music thread, but now I'm starting to see why.

A piano? I'd suggest you try setting up, tearing down and hauling a 10 piece drum kit (that's 10 drums plus cymbals, stands, mics, mixing board and monitors) to a new gig every week, but that might damage your delicate plastic toy carrying arms.

I'm outta here.

• Members

CR, you completely missed my point. I kinda felt sorry for you taking all the heat about a month ago for your Christian music thread, but now I'm starting to see why.

:facepalm:

First, it wasn't my thread. That's right, I am STILL getting attacked for a thread that wasn't mine, I didn't start it. I'll let that speak for itself.

Second, if best you can do is ad hominem attacks, then the forum is better off without you.

Third, you are the one who missed the point. The Casio doesn't suck, but it just doesn't compare to something like the Kronos almost-5-gigs-of-piano-samples-for-each-piano. Why would you be offended that people point that out?

A piano? I'd suggest you try setting up, tearing down and hauling a 10 piece drum kit (that's 10 drums plus cymbals, stands, mics, mixing board and monitors) to a new gig every week, but that might damage your delicate plastic toy carrying arms.

Did that for years (I always made a point to help set everybody else set up even when I was just the lead singer and didn't have any instruments to carry).

Moved a piano twice - once into my house, and once from the living room to the basement. It was one of the smallest spinets out there, and it still needed 3 adult males to carry it, and it was HARD.

So, it's not a valid comparison between drums and acoustic piano, sorry.

I'm outta here.

You know what, I was joking earlier when I sent you to the piano forums.

I don't think you should leave - we should all get along even if we disagree... even if we STRONGLY disagree :)

But, it's your choice. I wish you well.

• Members

I'm interested to see how the "draw bars" work. I've gigged with this board's predecessor and everyone LOVES the organ. Even people who own Electros! Shame it has no function pedal to control the rotary speed. Anyway, if the new draw bars add to the functionality then this is a really cool improvement.

• Members

I'm interested to see how the "draw bars" work. I've gigged with this board's predecessor and everyone LOVES the organ. Even people who own Electros! Shame it has no function pedal to control the rotary speed. Anyway, if the new draw bars add to the functionality then this is a really cool improvement.

Looking at the manual, it's not going to put any true clonewheels to shame. Each drawbar has only 3 levels (+ off) instead of 8. No percussion level control. No ability to connect an expression pedal (you could run a volume control on the output, but that won't give you the volume based tonal/distortion changes an expression pedal can). I suspect that the percussion is not single trigger, but I'm not sure. Listening to a youtube demo, the leslie effect is pretty weak... both rotors speed up and slow down at the same rate. And you're right, it looks like you can't change the rotary speed with a footswitch.

No doubt the board gives you a lot for the money, and of course you can make music on it, but it has very major limitations compared to the big boys.

• Members

Has anyone noticed that most of those defending the Casio as a potential industry leader have the smallest post counts?

The Casio is great for what it is - a keyboard for those that need basic sounds, don't expect authentic reproductions, and don't want to spend a lot of money. A professional keyboard it ain't. Those that think it is or could be, are either Casio employees, 9 year olds, or trolls.

• Members

I'm don't know anything about the MMT-8, but the WK-7500 has both a pattern sequencer where you can sequence drum, rythym (and other instruments) for up to 16 measures. You are able to take the patterns/rythyms and accompaniment already built into the WK-7500 and change ... or create new ones.

There is also a song sequencer. Hope that helps?

It SOUNDS like the MMT-8 way of doing things,but, even if it's not true( I sincerely hope it isn't) I can always reactivate my venerable MMT-8!

• Members

those organ sounds are as bad as every other Casio I've heard in my lifetime.

These things will be available at garage sales everywhere very soon. I still can't see why anyone but a desperate Casio rep would be coming here to hype the {censored} out of it...

• Members

In your closet you may have expensive suits, casual clothes and a pair of overalls for work. You choose the one you need for the occasion. I got a wk7800 ( I think, cant keep track of thier numbers) because I wanted a board that I wouldn't be afraid of someone spilling beer on. I was very surprised by the quality of the organs and found the piano and EP sounds passible after some tweaking.

By the way, it is single trigger for the percussion and the rotary hi/low speeds can be tweaked. This will not replace an Electro or dedicated clone. But for organ it beats the hell out of my $2000 Korg SV1. The lack of function pedal for rotary speed sucks. However, only 3 levels on each draw bar isn't as big a deal as you think. Don't trust youtube clips for judging the sound. Try one youself thru a decent amp. Sit and tweak the presets.

I'm no fan boy for Casio or any other company, but they did a great job on the organs. That's all I'm saying.

Archived