• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

this is sad...jj's dont suck..i have them in my mark 3

and i ran them in my Blockhead..i took out

vintage mullards in the pre's and changed them to

jj's and the jj's were much better sounding,,

nice and warm..never had a problem with them..

good stuff, it's all about what amp they are in. In my experience they are a bit darker of a tube so if you have a dark amp in the first place they would sound a bit "muddy". I have used them in the past with good results. I currently aren't using them in anything but they were solid tubes for sure.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I read the GT and JJ E34Ls are the same tube!!! True???? Just rebranded.......but I heard the GT is a flawed design.

What is thicker...E34Ls or EL34s?

Everything Groove Tube is a relabled something, usually Sovtek or Tesla. Everything Mesa and EH are relabled something. There are only 4 companies making power tubes:

1. Sovtek in Russia (Mesa, Electro Harmonix, Groove Tubes)

2. Tesla in Slovakia (JJ)

3. Reflektor/Svetlana in Russia and USA (Tung-Sol, Winged =C=, Mullard Reissues)

4. Shugurang in China (Ruby)

A JJ Tesla E34L has a tighter bottom-end and smoother, less harsh high-end than a standard EL34 such as Sovtek, Tung-Sol or Reflektor Winged=C=, and more headroom. Sovtek EL34's break-up really fast, Tung-Sol's have added harmonics, break-up fast, Winged C's are very bright to the point of being strident IMO and have meh bottom. The JJ E34L's sound great in Marshalls to give them that smooth, grinding, overdriven tone. Some other dark amps like Winged=C= or Tung-Sol EL34's better to brighten them up. Sovtek EL34's are OEM in alot of amps which are crap IMO.

• Members

I'm probably going to stick some ruby EL34's in my Randall MTS, unless I decide to get crazy and go with some KT-88.
:rolleyes:

A KT-88 is a 6550 type power tube, much more powerful than an EL34. You can't change from EL34 to KT-88, unless the transformers and circuit in your Randall can handle it or bad things will happen. Your amp tech will be really happy to see you coming! A KT-88 based amp, like a VHT Deliverence 120 for example, has beefier transformers than an EL34 based amp.

• Members

The dif is it's got an "L".
:facepalm:

pretty much...that and a few differences in design. tonally not much different at all. although some people hear what they want to hear....whatever gets them through the day I guess.:idk:

• Members

Good info. Yes, I definitely hear a bigger, punchier bottom with the E34L over the standard JJ EL34, it is a bigger tube as well, definitely more headroom.

I might order some KT88s to compare. I like warmth so I don't want power tubes that add any form of stiffness or lack warmth. To me EL34 type tubes are very thick and harmonically rich and they have a feel I can't get with 6550s or 5881s/6L6s. Hopefully KT88s are not the same.

Right now, I tend to favor all JJ tubes.

Everything Groove Tube is a relabled something, usually Sovtek or Tesla. Everything Mesa and EH are relabled something. There are only 4 companies making power tubes:

1. Sovtek in Russia (Mesa, Electro Harmonix, Groove Tubes)

2. Tesla in Slovakia (JJ)

3. Reflektor/Svetlana in Russia and USA (Tung-Sol, Winged =C=, Mullard Reissues)

4. Shugurang in China (Ruby)

A JJ Tesla E34L has a tighter bottom-end and smoother, less harsh high-end than a standard EL34 such as Sovtek, Tung-Sol or Reflektor Winged=C=, and more headroom. Sovtek EL34's break-up really fast, Tung-Sol's have added harmonics, break-up fast, Winged C's are very bright to the point of being strident IMO and have meh bottom. The JJ E34L's sound great in Marshalls to give them that smooth, grinding, overdriven tone. Some other dark amps like Winged=C= or Tung-Sol EL34's better to brighten them up. Sovtek EL34's are OEM in alot of amps which are crap IMO.

• Members

I find the e34l's to be a little more rounded.

Do you use the GT version? GT claims the heat sinks add to the tone. My thing is that I find plain EL34s to be the most smooth. Once you start adding more highs and lows, you get more aggressive and lose the smoothness.....I need for my leads.

• Members

A KT-88 is a 6550 type power tube, much more powerful than an EL34. You can't change from EL34 to KT-88, unless the transformers and circuit in your Randall can handle it or bad things will happen. Your amp tech will be really happy to see you coming! A KT-88 based amp, like a VHT Deliverence 120 for example, has beefier transformers than an EL34 based amp.

First of all OLD thread is OLD!

Second, obvious you aren't clued in on the Randall MTS series. They can handle a multitude of tube types......6L6, 6550, EL-34, etc...:facepalm::thu:

• Members

Speaking of the JJ 34L though.....my 2 year old statement in this thread is now flawed.....I did have a good experience with the 34L in my Randall RM 100's.....not so much in the Mesa Roadster I also had....they sucked balls in that amp......as well as breaking down in the Single Recto I had as well......might try them in my RM 50 again though as they seem to agree with the MTS series......carefully perhaps....

• 8 months later...

Archived