EL34 vs. E34L -- What's the difference?

Renmauzo

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

An hour!?!

You should probably turn your amp off, take those tubes out, and put in some tubes that aren't {censored}ed up!!

The E34L's work fine, I just notice it takes about an hour for them to get REALLY expressive, with the fine details and best warmth.

• Members

The E34L's work fine, I just notice it takes about an hour for them to get REALLY expressive, with the fine details and best warmth.

Oh, I see. What amp are you using, and how loud do you use it? I'd imagine that after an hour it's possible that it could just be ear fatigue or you getting used to the sound :idk:

• Members

Oh, I see. What amp are you using, and how loud do you use it? I'd imagine that after an hour it's possible that it could just be ear fatigue or you getting used to the sound
:idk:

Zinky Mofo, 560-580V. :D

I play it low and loud. It needs time for some reason. Sounds better across ALL volumes after it's been on a full hour.

• Members

Heres the thing... I really didnt want to like GTs E34Ls since they cost literaly double what JJs E34Ls do but they do unfortunately sound night and day better. You can safely set the bias way hotter (the added heat sinks) which lets them get all tubey at much lower volumes and just like all tubes it just keeps getting better the louder you turn up. Ive repeatedly bought different ratings of JJs to see if I could get there with them to save cash and simply havent been able to.

I also change tubes religiously every 6 months so I havent had many shorts but when I have had them it was when I was running the JJs in my Uber. Im not one that co signs hype but in my opinion of course GT has the better sounding and more reliable tube in this area.

• Members

not enough.. SED Winged C is more reliable and long lasting!
:p

Those are nice tubes that really shine for rock, but in the amps that I own I thought they were almost too smooth sounding if that makes any sense. The JJs have a really tight girthy clip that works out well for my playing styles. Still as I said very nice tube.

• Members

Here is an old post from Roger Crimm at Peavey. He was explaining to JSX / XXX users about using the EL34L's in these amps:

In August of 2003 I posted this statement on the Peavey website:

The Tesla/JJ E34L (marked GT-E34-LS by Groove Tubes) may not operate correctly when using 100 Ohm screen resistors, even though that is the recommended value in the Telefunken manuals. Since the Triple XXX amplifier conforms to this recommendation, this tube is judged unsafe to use in this amp unless the amp is modified.

NOTE: Telefunken is only being mentioned here because they instigated the original and accepted EL34 spec.

These particular JJ/GT "E34L" parts are only really safe in amps with screen resistors which are larger than what Telefunken recommends for an EL34 design. They are not, in our view, true EL34 parts. They are a newer design made to draw more current and produce more power. The "E34L" name was used universally on these, to set them apart from "true" EL34s.

The manufacturer probably assumed that all EL34 guitar amps had large chokes and/or screen resistors to provide screen regulation like many older designs have. It is recommended that any amplifier with 100 Ohm screen resistors using this tube be modified with a larger value resistor (700 to 1K Ohms).

This statement created quite a bit of controversy (as well as confusion) at the time, and I still get quite a few questions relating to it. I am going to attempt to clarify this issue as best I can.

Shortly after this statement was issued, Peavey changed the impedance value of the screen resistor in the Triple XXX amplifier from 100 ohm to 700 ohm. It is the same part by the same manufacturer otherwise, and no other changes were made. This change was made to prevent failures of the amp due to the potential of exaggerated screen current that was observed when using the E34L in that amplifier.

This change was simply an engineering change in the specification of the part. There was no "flaw" in the design, so there was no recall or other bulletins posted.

If you have a Triple XXX which was manufactured prior to August of 2003, and you only plan to use EL34 or 6L6 tubes, you do not have to do anything. If you plan to use E34L tubes, it is recommended (not mandatory!) that you have the screen resistors replaced with 700 ohm parts.

You can use the E34L tube in any JSX amplifier. All JSX amplifiers ship with 700 ohm screen resistors. You can also use the E34L in any Triple XXX shipped after August of 2003 without any modification to the amp.

The only change made, was the IMPEDANCE VALUE of the part in question. Peavey has been using the same- Dale (brand), cement type, wire wound 5W resistor since the late 80's if not longer. If anyone is telling you that Peavey has suddenly started using a new part which is "substandard" or "cheaper", they are either misinformed, delusional, or simply lying to you. It is the same part from the same manufacturer with a different impedance value.

• Members

Everything Groove Tube is a relabled something, usually Sovtek or Tesla. Everything Mesa and EH are relabled something. There are only 4 companies making power tubes:

1. Sovtek in Russia (Mesa, Electro Harmonix, Groove Tubes)

2. Tesla in Slovakia (JJ)

3. Reflektor/Svetlana in Russia and USA (Tung-Sol, Winged =C=, Mullard Reissues)

4. Shugurang in China (Ruby)

A JJ Tesla E34L has a tighter bottom-end and smoother, less harsh high-end than a standard EL34 such as Sovtek, Tung-Sol or Reflektor Winged=C=, and more headroom. Sovtek EL34's break-up really fast, Tung-Sol's have added harmonics, break-up fast, Winged C's are very bright to the point of being strident IMO and have meh bottom. The JJ E34L's sound great in Marshalls to give them that smooth, grinding, overdriven tone. Some other dark amps like Winged=C= or Tung-Sol EL34's better to brighten them up. Sovtek EL34's are OEM in alot of amps which are crap IMO.

Winged=C=tubes are not made at the same Russian tube factory as the Reflektor/Svetlana.

Winged=C=tubes are made in St.Petersburg,Russia. A totally different plant and different tube design than Sovtek. :thu:

• Members

I have JJ EL 84L's in my DSL and they sound great.

The only comparison I have is with the Mesa Tubes that were in it when I bought it.

The difference was huge. Much bigger, deeper smoother.

Though the Mesa tubes were probably on thier last leg.

• Members

A JJ Tesla E34L has a tighter bottom-end and smoother, less harsh high-end than a standard EL34 such as Sovtek, Tung-Sol or Reflektor Winged=C=, and more headroom. Sovtek EL34's break-up really fast, Tung-Sol's have added harmonics, break-up fast, Winged C's are very bright to the point of being strident IMO and have meh bottom. The JJ E34L's sound great in Marshalls to give them that smooth, grinding, overdriven tone. Some other dark amps like Winged=C= or Tung-Sol EL34's better to brighten them up. Sovtek EL34's are OEM in alot of amps which are crap IMO.

I have not tried an E34L, but the statement about the Winged Cs seems backwards. The Winged C EL34s are dark and have a thick, tight bottom end compared to any other EL34 I've tried. A bunch of us at the Boogie Board have been using them to smooth out our Mark Vs and make them thicker and darker. And I've heard others describe them this way as well. You are the first person I've heard describe Winged C's as bright and weak in the bottom end; everyone else I've discussed this with has said the opposite.

I'm not trying to be pissy about this, but I'm just surprised.

Anyways, in my Mark V, I tried the stock 6L6s, followed by JJ EL34s (not E34Ls), followed by SED Winged C EL34s, all within a three day period. The Winged Cs and JJs both had a smoother top end than the Mesa-rebranded 6L6s. The Winged Cs had as much bottom end, and as tight a bottom end, as the 6L6s, which had more bottom end than the JJs. The Winged Cs also sound fuller and had more midrange then the stock 6L6s. The differences were dramatic, not subtle. I have since become an evangelist for the SED Winged C EL34s.

• Members

I have not tried an E34L, but the statement about the Winged Cs seems backwards. The Winged C EL34s are dark and have a thick, tight bottom end compared to any other EL34 I've tried. A bunch of us at the Boogie Board have been using them to smooth out our Mark Vs and make them thicker and darker. And I've heard others describe them this way as well. You are the first person I've heard describe Winged C's as bright and weak in the bottom end; everyone else I've discussed this with has said the opposite.

I'm not trying to be pissy about this, but I'm just surprised.

Anyways, in my Mark V, I tried the stock 6L6s, followed by JJ EL34s (not E34Ls), followed by SED Winged C EL34s, all within a three day period. The Winged Cs and JJs both had a smoother top end than the Mesa-rebranded 6L6s. The Winged Cs had as much bottom end, and as tight a bottom end, as the 6L6s, which had more bottom end than the JJs. The Winged Cs also sound fuller and had more midrange then the stock 6L6s. The differences were dramatic, not subtle. I have since become an evangelist for the SED Winged C EL34s.

Ah , you may want to have your ears checked. :p

The Winged=C=EL34's or their 6L6GC tubes are Bright with Midrange Compression and with Top End clarity. Almost all amp forums you search about these tubes will yield the same results from many players using them.

If you need to Brighten Up a amp that voiced dark/warm, put some SED=C= in there and it will make a big difference. Put JJ's in there and it will be warmer/darker. Some players like the JJ's but will say the JJ's make their amp feel like a blanket has been placed over it. Although the JJ tubes are very popular with Marshall players.

It all depends on what amp/speakers you use and how you dial it in. Marshall amps are Bright with alot of Midrange , most Modern High-Gain amps are darker/warmer voiced amps.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

pretty much...that and a few differences in design. tonally not much different at all. although some people hear what they want to hear....whatever gets them through the day I guess.
:idk:

I can hear a good bit off difference between the two. I like the EL34's better, but there is a pretty big difference in low end between the two.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Yes the el34ls are alitle warmer and bassyer with good mids. I think the Tung Sols el34b's are better with vry good lows and a more clear top, killr breakup. Replace the screen resistors with 1k 5amp if you are going to use el34ls, I did and it is a good sound, Tungsols are better to me. Both kick ass!

• Members

I had some E34L's in a 2203 and went to Siemens 6CA7's. I really missed the E34L's. They were bassier, spongier and darker. I also tried (older) svetlana EL34's in that same amp. They were middle-of-the road ok. Also tried KT77's and the mids just didn't sound right.

Archived