EL34 vs. E34L -- What's the difference?

Renmauzo

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i had the JJ E34L in my cobra. went back to the stock EL34

cant really notice the diffrence.

the 2 of the JJs redplated after about 6months minimum home use (not even cranked)

I had that happen to 2 of mine..roughly same age too...they were great sounding while they lasted though...bit fuller than regular EL34 ... well, I'm comparing to the Mesa EL34 tube....

• Members

Does JJ not make a regular EL34 in that case?

I'm about to buy a new set of 12AX7's and wanted to get matching powertubes, but if I can't... is there a better alternative that's not going to kill my wallet?

JJ preamp tubes suck!

get chinese preamp tubes. Grove tube makes em among others

• Members

JJ preamp tubes suck!

The JJ ECC83s and ECC803s are great tubes...but not in all amps.

Groove tubes don't make any tubes...they're re-labelled or re-spec'd Russian or Chinese tubes...although I'm not 100% sure that is true for one or two of their new tubes....the GT-EL34M mullard copy for example.

• Members

Does JJ not make a regular EL34 in that case?

I'm about to buy a new set of 12AX7's and wanted to get matching powertubes, but if I can't... is there a better alternative that's not going to kill my wallet?

You do not need to have the same manufacturer of pre-amp and power-amp tubes.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I was going to get the E34Ls for my amp thinking they would give me better cleans due to the extra headroom and maybe give me a tighter bottom. However, i hear the differences are so slight compared to the regular JJ EL34s.

A good friend got a me a great deal from his source on the regular EL34s since he is a dealer, basically at cost so I couldn't resist. I hope I didn't make a mistake in not getting the E34Ls.

• Members

They aren't night and day but the e34l is definitely more agressive and has more low end chunk than the regular el34. I like them better but I like the kt77's way better than those even. I'm not much of an el34 guy though so take that with a grain of salt. JJ does make a regular el34 as well by the way and these are different.

• Members

JJ preamp tubes suck!

this is sad...jj's dont suck..i have them in my mark 3

and i ran them in my Blockhead..i took out

vintage mullards in the pre's and changed them to

jj's and the jj's were much better sounding,,

nice and warm..never had a problem with them..

• Members

They are both EL34 tubes. The E34L is JJ's new version of the EL34. Supposedly it has more gain and tighter bass responce.

the E34L has been around for a while. it's sort of like a cross between a 5881 and an EL34. it has more bass and more headroom than a true EL34.

• Members

this is sad...jj's dont suck..i have them in my mark 3

and i ran them in my Blockhead..i took out

vintage mullards in the pre's and changed them to

jj's and the jj's were much better sounding,,

nice and warm..never had a problem with them..

I just put a set of JJ pre and power tubes in one of my Marshall DSL 100s and it sounds friggin' FANTASTIC!!. It's just a great combination of warmth and agressiveness. I love it!

The bias keeps drifting slightly... but I hope that's cause they're new tubes and will eventually stabilize.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I just noticed that I have E34Ls in my power amp. I thought they were EL34... Went back to the 6L6s just to A/B them... WOW! What a difference.

the 6L6s sound better when I am playing by myself, but with the rest of the band, the E34Ls slay. Cuts right through.

I agree with the Knuckleman, the E34L are much higher output than the 6L6s to my ear.

I don't get the comments about them being fuller and having more bottom end though. If that's the case, EL34s must be some seriously thin sounding tubes, in my amp at least.

Archived