CASIO, the beginning of a NEW ERA

afr

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by McHale View Post
He didn't start a thread there? I was having a Karma issue, posted the issue and Stephen addressed it personally within about 45 minutes with a complete breakdown of what was going on, why, how to resolve it, and told me specifically what settings to fix it. Karma is a Stephen Kay thing, not Korg's as they only license it.
He posted over at Stephen's forum and got help there.

Basically though, he was just surprised that Korg wasn't any help at all when it came to Karma issues. Even though Stephen Kay created Karma, you'd think Korg's tech support group would have at least some basic knowledge of it. Oh well.

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by DJ RAZZ

View Post

I wish they would have put something in that blank space. Even and on-board speaker for practicing and noodling at home would have been handy

I think the space for an iPad or whatever makes a lot of sense... but I think it would be great if Casio sold an optional speaker that was just the right size to velcro-down to that spot. I suppose it would need its own batteries (or its own wall wart) as there's no kind of power pass-thru. I understand why Casio did not want to build a speaker in (which can appear to "cheapen" a model from a marketing perspective), and I do see the value in the blank space, but I agree that there are times when a built-in speaker can be useful, and it would be nice to have that option, especially on a battery powered keyboard. In addition to quick noodling as you mention, I'm also thinking about busking, an outdoor wedding ceremony or solo cocktail hour that precedes the full band reception, any kind of little outdoor friendly get-together, quick practices/jams or even perhaps gigs in a duo with someone singing and playing acoustic guitar. It would be nice to have something you could leave attached, connected, and packed into the same carry bag. Neat and quick.

• Members

Great screen shot!

I'm pretty certain I don't actually need this keyboard, but I am also pretty certain I'm going to buy one anyway. ;-)

Though I'd rather pay twice as much and have 73 keys, 64+ mb of non-volatile sample memory (to hold samples brought in via computer... I don't care about sampling on the board itself), aftertouch, and an expression pedal input, with the weight still under, say, 17 lbs. And let's throw in that attachable/detachable speaker (okay, extra weight allowed for that). Maybe next year...

• Members

K2500x,
Sorry if that wasn't clear. A Step Sequence can contain up to 8 patterns. There is a pattern chain feature allows you to predetermine the order of the patterns if you didn't want to change them on the fly.

-Mike Martin
Casio America, Inc.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by AnotherScott View Post
Great screen shot!

I'm pretty certain I don't actually need this keyboard, but I am also pretty certain I'm going to buy one anyway. ;-)

Though I'd rather pay twice as much and have 73 keys, 64+ mb of non-volatile sample memory (to hold samples brought in via computer... I don't care about sampling on the board itself), aftertouch, and an expression pedal input, with the weight still under, say, 17 lbs. And let's throw in that attachable/detachable speaker (okay, extra weight allowed for that). Maybe next year...
My thoughts too. Casio could come out with a line called "Casio Pro" next year. Not that they aren't now, but with a line that had more costly extras, like you mention, also with metal housing. That said, what they have know sounds pro, and is awesome.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mike Martin View Post
K2500x,
Sorry if that wasn't clear. A Step Sequence can contain up to 8 patterns. There is a pattern chain feature allows you to predetermine the order of the patterns if you didn't want to change them on the fly.

-Mike Martin
Casio America, Inc.
Hey Mike. Cool. Would you consider it to be a full featured pattern sequencer then? Like I'm building up a song and I want to keep the drums but change the bass in pattern 2. So I 'copy' the first pattern into the second and delete/overdub the bassline part and add some strings, etc. Will each pattern remember the mute settings of the different tracks? Is there sequencer control over filter sweeps, pitchbends, and the like (ie CC data)? I guess a manual would come in pretty handy right now. smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Casio Man

View Post

How much would pay to have a speaker on it though? I wish they will put that money on the keybed instead.

I think I'd pay $50 to $100 for the speaker option, depending on how good it sounded. I was just saying, at the $1k price point, maybe they could throw it in. ;-) But yes, in a higher end model, an improved keybed would be another welcome addition. I'd rather they get away from the "try to do it all" action that I think they aim for, and go for something that felt great for organ and synth, and let someone put it over a PX-3 if they want a piano action too.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Suilebhain

View Post

One thing that he said was confusing. He said it had 6 oscillators, but one was external. How so?

The external line input can be processed through the synth section, so whatever you feed into that input becomes a sixth tone source.

• Members

check out this really {censored}ty 'concept' for what some fool on gearslutz thinks casio should come out with next:

Casio%20XW-Z%20MPC%20Groovestation%20Syn

and of course, dude presented it like it was legit. if it wasn't for Don Solaris being the moderator, i would say that place should be taken off the internet.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by donaldcrunk View Post
check out this really {censored}ty 'concept' for what some fool on gearslutz thinks casio should come out with next:

[{censored}ty concept art here]

and of course, dude presented it like it was legit. if it wasn't for Don Solaris being the moderator, i would say that place should be taken off the internet.
Complete with D-Beam and MPC pads! icon_lol.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by k2500x View Post
Is there sequencer control over filter sweeps, pitchbends, and the like (ie CC data)?
I've got a few burning questions about the step sequencer as well, but I can answer this one. According to the Casio's website for the XW series, four of the thirteen sequencer tracks are "controller tracks," used to sequence parameter values rather than note data. So, yes.

What I really want to know is, can a pattern contain tracks of different lengths (e.g. a note track of 16 steps and a controller track of 15 steps), or does the XW use a single length value for all tracks in a pattern, like most digital step sequencers?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Klaus View Post
I've got a few burning questions about the step sequencer as well, but I can answer this one. According to the Casio's website for the XW series, four of the thirteen sequencer tracks are "controller tracks," used to sequence parameter values rather than note data. So, yes.

What I really want to know is, can a pattern contain tracks of different lengths (e.g. a note track of 16 steps and a controller track of 15 steps), or does the XW use a single length value for all tracks in a pattern, like most digital step sequencers?
They can have different lengths. Look here @8:21

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Klaus View Post
All of the tracks including the controller tracks are independent and can have different lengths or note values.

-Mike Martin
Casio America, Inc.

Archived