CASIO, the beginning of a NEW ERA

afr

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Needmorebass View Post
Here's a new demo video posted yesterday.

Mine shipped yesterday and will have it on Wednesday. I think it will be a great compliment for my SV-1 and totally paid for with my Korg $500 rebate.
Shoot! I was just posting the same link! Nice occasion to make a first post to the forum by the way.

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Casio Man

View Post

Shoot! I was just posting the same link! Nice occasion to make a first post to the forum by the way.

Thanks! I'm excited about this Casio. I was seriously considering the Hammond SK1 to compliment my SV-1 88, but this keyboard at $500 is a no brainer( I actually bought one of the bundle deals from Kraft and did even better with new stand, a case, bench, and a few extras). My first real keyboard rig at a total cost of $1776!! I don't think I could have done better for the money.

• Members

Gotta find out how to tweak the rotary speed on the fast setting of the drawbar organ....it's just too fast. It sounds good speeding up but needs to top out at a slightly slower speed to keep the effect believable IMO.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Needmorebass

View Post

Thanks! I'm excited about this Casio. I was seriously considering the Hammond SK1 to compliment my SV-1 88, but this keyboard at $500 is a no brainer( I actually bought one of the bundle deals from Kraft and did even better with new stand, a case, bench, and a few extras). My first real keyboard rig at a total cost of $1776!! I don't think I could have done better for the money.

Yeah, it keeps surprising me with its sounds. All the time I have watched these demos with a fear that I would stumble into "the catch" that would explain its price, but it has already crossed the safety line in my case; I don't care anymore about the short comings I might find, its already too much value to pass in my situation. Of course I still have to test it my self, but I feel really good about this. Every short coming this far is more than compensated with something else.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Casio Man

View Post

Yeah, it keeps surprising me with its sounds. All the time I have watched these demos with a fear that I would stumble into "the catch" that would explain its price, but it has already crossed the safety line in my case; I don't care anymore about the short comings I might find, its already too much value to pass in my situation.

Exactly the way I look at it.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Jercat View Post
Gotta find out how to tweak the rotary speed on the fast setting of the drawbar organ....it's just too fast. It sounds good speeding up but needs to top out at a slightly slower speed to keep the effect believable IMO.
Press EDIT.
Scroll down (you can use the right cursor button to go between pages rather than pressing the down button so many times) until you see DSP EDIT, then press ENTER.

Here you will find the ramp time, fast and slow speeds.

-Mike Martin
Casio America, Inc.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Jercat

View Post

I remember Mike mentioning they were coming out with a free editor for this beasty......anyone know where I can download it? (didn't come with a disc)

I've already sent Tokyo an email to find out when they will be posting it. Hopefully next week, but the last week of March at the latest.

• Members

Lovely! Thanks so much Mike! I've already got two performances rigged.....several more to go for this to replace the Miniak and the Hammond XM1 in my 80's band rig. Not often you can axe two instruments with one! I've still got to hook up the S-90 ES midi to it and figure out if I can control the volume with a pedal from there.

• Members

My XW-P1 came today. For $500 it's a hell of a keyboard. From the little bit of time I've spent with it I would say it's biggest weakness is the piano sounds. That doesn't bother me as that is not why I bought it, but one can always hope. The second weakest part is the organ section. It's not bad and I can definitely use it, but it just seems to be missing some meat to tone. Maybe others will like it, but I like meat. The strength in this keyboard is definitely in the synth section where there is meat!! There are plenty of sounds in this section that would give keyboards costing much more some competition. That's my quick take on it.

Edit: I had been listeing to this keyboard with headphones from the headphone out jack. I just ran a line into my ART PowerMixer and listened to it with the same headphones and WOW!! Organs sound MUCH better. The pianos are okay, but nothing to get excited about. This keyboard is definitely a keeper!!

• Members

Yeah, I did a side by side with my XM-1 (20 year old clonewheel tech I had hoped the XW would out-do) and the lower registers have no growl....I like the percussion but it doesn't sound if you already have another key pressed. The leslie sim is dreadful at high speed...sounds good speeding up and slowing down but sounds very 'electronic' once at full speed (I tweaked the top speed to no avail)
The solo synth section is good. Haven't found all the tweakability that my Akai Miniak has, but it also has some tones in there that the mini doesn't have. The hex section is nice and fat....but again the tweakability is limited to the first two voices. Haven't figured out how to assign sliders and knobs to other parameters yet.
I like the phrase sequencer....alot. Unlike the Miniak you can assign tempos through the performance patches. I've not figured out how to use multiple (different) phrases in one performance assigned to different note triggers like you can in the multi mode of the Miniak. I'm sure I can do this with the step sequencer but haven't figured out how to get a phrase into it either!
The true test will come at my first rehearsal with it to see how it sits in a real band mix setting. I've got 20 days left to return it, but am leaning toward keeping it thus far....it's not replacing things in my rig as I had hoped, but offers enough to be ADDED to it!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Jercat

View Post

I like the percussion but it doesn't sound if you already have another key pressed.

That's by design, because that's how a real Hammond tonewheel organ works. Hearing percussion on legato passages is a telltale sign of a poor rompler imitation. ;-)

• Members

so where is the best support forum for the XW-P1? i've already got questions. Is keyboardfourms.com/casio the best place for Q&A? My first question: is there a way to use my footpedal as an overall volume controller? seems it's primarily a sustain pedal, with some features editable on performances. Still waiting for software and the CORRECT power plug (not the euro 240v plug).

• Members

Maarkr,
For now there is not an "official" forum. We have been approached by a couple different people that have proposed to create a dedicated Casio forum. We are investigating our options at this time, I was not aware of keyboardforums.com so I'll add that to my daily viewing at least until I have news about a dedicated site.

I will personally be starting a blog page where I provide tips and tricks and share some other knowledge about both the XW-P1 and the XW-G1. Some other staff will also be contributing to content here. This is targeted to be up the first week of April.

To answer your question, there is not a way to control volume with the footswitch. That input can not be used for a "continuous" pedal, only a footswitch. Note that you could use the sustain pedal to modulate amplitude of a SoloSynth patch but I doubt that is the effect you were looking for.

Note: With some travel and personal time next week I may be absent from the forums from March 23 until April 2nd.

Take care,
Mike Martin
Casio America, Inc.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Jercat View Post
The hex section is nice and fat....but again the tweakability is limited to the first two voices. Haven't figured out how to assign sliders and knobs to other parameters yet.
In a HexLayer program you can control all six layers. All six layers have the same parameters available. When in EDIT mode, the Part +/- buttons will switch between each of the six layers.

In a HexLayer and SoloSynth program, the sliders essentially function as volume control over each of the components. While in TONE mode the knob assignments are fixed (for now...improvements in future update) but in a Performance you can reassign the knobs to be anything you want.

Only one Phrase can be used at a time on a XW-P1. In a performance you can choose which of the four zones (including all) are accessing the phrase. This is one area where the upcoming XW-G1 will be different - it has a "Multi-key" function that allows you to trigger different phrases on different keys although I believe only two are possible at once.

Take care,
Mike Martin
Casio America, Inc.

• Members

Thanks Mike.
I was having trouble in the hex layers assigning attack parameter to some of the tones....are they being overridden by the envelope parameters of the patch? (ie: I had a synth bass and was trying to soften the attack but the attack filter on the layer would not change it whatsoever)

Archived