CASIO, the beginning of a NEW ERA

afr

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherScott

View Post

I don't know whether this is true, but I seem to remember hearing that the reason the Waldorf price is structured that way is that the samples are licensed, so rather than build the cost of the licensing into each unit, only the people who need the feature have to pay for the license, as a way to get the price of the module down. Again, I'm not sure it's true, but it does make you think, really, in a sense, nothing is ever free, you always pay for itt one way or another, whether they build the price in or offer the features a la carte.

i'm not interested in 'their samples' i want to use MY samples...anyhow i'll probably get a korg microsampler..more bang for the buck.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Stabby

View Post

Imo the Privia's action is better than Yamaha's lowest budget stage pianos. It's actually decent while the Yamaha P85/P95 action is {censored}.

Well, I always found lower range Yamaha a LOT heavier than the real thing. Privia keys on the other hand didnt age that well, and the whole thing kinda turned into mush ( not that Im complaining for the price ).

Still, its happily living out its retirement days in my mother's living room and the old lady loves it despite the fact that she hates the sustain time of the sample ( atm she has GAS for Kawai MP6 and Im not going to stop her.)

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by dan88z

View Post

Does this mean you'll be selling the Kronos?

Nah. Two different machines for two different purposes. The Casio is not a workstation but it is a performance synth and looks to be a pretty decent one at that - with waterfall keys and a passable drawbar organ. I'm totally serious, I am 99% sure I'll be getting one and will gig the crap out of this thing. I'm still not sure how programmable it is by just the couple demos, but it looks tweakable enough I can get a lot out of it that I would need for live use. I've quit my last band and have started a new band with a childhood friend and this thing could be perfect. And I'm totally looking into putting reinforced strap locks on this thing and running around the stage with it.

• Members

I have been eyeing Kronos, but I wouldn't want to take it to the rehearsals. Not because its not durable enough, but I'd worry to lose my music if something goes horribly wrong, and with me it always only a matter of time. With these prices, I could perhaps get Kronos at home and Casio for every place tool.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard

View Post

Hi elsongs

I don't know if you have ever played a MINIAK or GAIA. How does the feel of the keys compare to them. Are they more piano like or just the same?

Many thanks smile.gif

Never played a MINIAK, but played a Gaia once...it's the standard Roland, which is OK with me. I know it's a synth and I'm not expecting weighted hammer action or anything (In fact I don't WANT weighted hammer action on a synth), but something nice and solid with a tiny bit of key resistance is good. I have an old Alesis QS6, and the keybed on the QSes were made by Fatar, I liked those very much. At the NAMM show I played around with the Akai MAX49 and that Nektar Panorama, and those have the keyboard feel that I want in a synth.

The XW-P1, sounding as PHAT PHAT PHAT PHAAAAAT as it does, deserves to have a keyboard feel that's at least a notch or two better than the portable Casio keyboards they sell in the electronics section of Target.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by McHale

View Post

And I'm totally looking into putting reinforced strap locks on this thing and running around the stage with it.

I wouldn't recommend that...unless you want to see the pieces of the body crack off. As good as it sounds, and as practical as its control features are, I just can't picture this thing standing up to the rigors of the road. Keep it in the studio if you want it to last forever.

If you were talking about the Arturia Minibrute, be my guest, that thing's built like a Sherman Tank!

• Members

I was really impressed by that video.

Here's a question for my fellow KSSers:

The step sequencer seemed to perfectly emulate the step sequencers that are in DAWs. Is there any other hardware keyboard out there that has this type of interface (16 buttons X 8 instruments, if I understand)????

The step sequencers in my Motif ES and Micron are menu diving affairs.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherScott

View Post

I agree. It looks like a natural, but virtually every iPad owner has access to a Mac or PC, whereas lots of computer users don't have iPads... and I don't know how many people would be enticed to buy an iPad specifically as a $500 add on to a $500 keyboard. Then again, I kinda like the idea of buying a $500 Ventilator for it. ;-)

I specifically recommend any synth manufacturer to consider total iPad control, rather than installing their own touch-screens on-board.

Apple does touch-screens a lot better than Korg.

I say that and I'm not an Apple fanboy either. Far from it.

But I would love to have iPad control over my M3m touch-screen.

Neither of these Casios are for me. But I'm glad Casio is back

in the game.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Cecil Figg

View Post

I specifically recommend any synth manufacturer to consider total iPad control, rather than installing their own touch-screens on-board.

Apple does touch-screens a lot better than Korg.

It makes sense, but there are drawbacks too. Keyboard manufacturers generally look to get, what, at least 3 to 5 years out of a design, sometimes more. Apple changes most of their devices about once a year. What does Korg do with their design a couple of years in, when the "new" iPad has a different form factor, or different connector, or won't run some of the old apps that were written for the previous models? Also, musicians generally don't consider their keyboards as becoming obsolete. Korg can probably get any ten or fifteen year old Korg up and running for you if it fails... but won't be able to do it in the future if it requires locating a ten or fifteen year old iPad. Or what if there is ever any kind of product shortage or recall on an iPad model? There are risks and tradeoffs involved in a manufacturer making products that are dependent on things that are outside their own control, that they can't necessarily acquire and service as needed. So there are pros and cons to it.

• Members

Also resistive screens used in Korgs have their virtues too. Resistive screens are cheaper, demand less processing power and they are sub pixel accurate. If only Korg used stylus, for example to draw wave forms and envelopes, they could turn some of that single touch angst to their advantage.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by DJ RAZZ

View Post

Is my choice in this price range, maybe not.

I could see perhaps choosing a Korg Microstation for its tiny size/weight, or a Yamaha NP-31 or P95 as a better piano board... other than that, to me, it looks hard to beat at/near its price...

• Members

the Casio is not really in competition with the korg microstation as i think the casio has no song capabilities...patterns yeh..song creation..no

also the microstation does not lend well to 'performance controls'..it's more of a preset machine for use as a notepad for creating/working song ideas.

different markets really.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by cresshead

View Post

the Casio is not really in competition with the korg microstation as i think the casio has no song capabilities...patterns yeh..song creation..no

also the microstation does not lend well to 'performance controls'..it's more of a preset machine for use as a notepad for creating/working song ideas.

different markets really.

True that the Microstation also has the edge as a sequencing workstation... though if a very portable song creator is what you want, GarageBand on an iPad and any of a number of tiny portable controllers might serve you even better. I think the Microstation is reasonably performance friendly, though the Casio would be more so. But I agree, these have different strengths, despite areas of overlap. So yeah, different markets to some extent. Same with the piano models I mentioned. That's kind of what I was trying to say. I do see the Microstation and low-cost piano boards as somewhat not directly competitive with the P1, but I have a harder time seeing why someone would choose, say, a PS60, MM6, Juno Di, or even MicroKorg XL and R3. I'm sure each has some unique appeal, but the Casio seems to be so much more capable.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard

View Post

Crackly draw bars or was it the audio in the recording of the vid?

I thought the recording was {censored}ed up. And I don't mean just cracking. The whole thing sounded like it was coming through high pass filter.

Archived