CASIO, the beginning of a NEW ERA

afr

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I played the XW-P1 at NAMM...

Pros: PHAT PHAT PHAT PHAT PHAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!!!!!! Some of the sounds made my jaw drop.

Cons: Cheap-ass keyboard feel. So bad it was kind of a turn-off. The only saving grace was that they were waterfall keys.

I sensed there was a downside the moment I saw the wall-wart plug in the back. I could live without the battery-powered feature. It doesn't have built-in speakers anyway so the need for battery power isn't that important in this kind of synth. If it had a more decent keybed and a more solid casing (Read: You know, because some of us might want to actually play this on stage more than once?), then I'd be first in line for one come March.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by The Pro View Post
We used to see a lot of these kind of uninformed posts but thankfully they are becoming less frequent. Casio's Privia pianos are neck and neck with Yamaha in the sub-$1000 class and they have won Key Buy awards from Keyboard Magazine. I've used several different models at gigs quite successfully and I always try to stay informed on what Casio is up to with their musical products line because it's often leading the pack.

Casio's new synths are getting a LOT of discussion on the web and the fact that they are affordable just doubles their impact. Not bad for a 'toymaker".
+1 on this.

I gigged with a Privia occasionally back in the day and it was more than useful, especially rhodes. Action wasnt much but hey, it was way cheaper than any low tier Yamaha stage piano and capability gap wasnt all that big.

Ill keep an eye on these new products as it seems that when paired with some stompboxes they could produce some fun stuff and be useful on stage.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by elsongs View Post
I played the XW-P1 at NAMM...

Pros: PHAT PHAT PHAT PHAT PHAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!!!!!! Some of the sounds made my jaw drop.
I know a pull peoples leg over the SH201 but it does have some low end bite that some folk like.. I never feel in love with the harshness.. The CASIO demo's I heard had similar bite without the harshness... That I like very much. smile.gif

The HEX layer is also is a very practical way to building big pads...

I am not a trained keyboardist hence only have smaller boards but if I ever wanted to practice they are very limiting so I have always wanted 61 or more keys but on something that is not cheezy... The Keyboard Mag guy mentioned what I hear that the voicing does suit the target audience unlike many other boards that claim it but have odd choices of drum sounds etc...

Still they have probably shown it's best side so the important factor for many will also be the extra live control, light weight and the low cost... That's the other thing I want, a hands on step sequencer and good ARP control... This thing is almost made for me...

In the UK they may not price it right so will have to wait and see...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by McHale View Post
That was my plan exactly. I'm not kidding, I'm pretty excited about this thing. The price is a steal. I could seriously gig JUST this thing. I'm actually very proud of Casio. They have a great product at a great price. I'm rambling. And talking in short sentences. THAT's how overwhelmed I am at this.

GO GO CASIO!!!
Does this mean you'll be selling the Kronos?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by epyon77x View Post
+1 on this.

I gigged with a Privia occasionally back in the day and it was more than useful, especially rhodes. Action wasnt much but hey, it was way cheaper than any low tier Yamaha stage piano and capability gap wasnt all that big.
Imo the Privia's action is better than Yamaha's lowest budget stage pianos. It's actually decent while the Yamaha P85/P95 action is {censored}.

• Members

I just do not need another crossover synth. However, it does sound very nice, and the user interface is very cool. I hate the way it looks though. I wish they would have put something in that blank space. Even and on-board speaker for practicing and noodling at home would have been handy and very Casiotastic. Of course you could turn it off at gig time.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by DJ RAZZ View Post
... I hate the way it looks though. I wish they would have put something in that blank space. Even and on-board speaker
mad.gifGET OUT mad.gif

icon_lol.gif

Think it looks that way as it is rubberized. They are responding to the market in the same way Korg did with the pockets on the micro Sampler, IE for iPAD etc to play into the Audio in...

Out of the two I like the look of the Performance one... Silver Grey and toned down Orange always work well together and the Blue in the lights is on the opposite side of the Colour wheel to Orange and can give a great look to objects moving away from the rainbow effect..

At the end of the day it is a light weight plastic construction and normally I hate silver painted things, but it goes with the vibe on this so it will pass my style counsel smile.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Casio Man View Post
iPad editor could "replace" the small screen and make live editing possible in P1 too.
I agree, but I and possible others may never buy an iPad, so it is probably less of a priority still these days...

It will be interesting how long the shape and format of iPads lasts as they are well known for pulling design and connection features and iPads have non user changeable batteries so your buying into ongoing expense. Nearly everyone will have a PC or Mac of some kind so that is normally an editor priority...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
I agree, but I and possible others may never buy an iPad, so it is probably less of a priority still these days...

It will be interesting how long the shape and format of iPads lasts as they are well known for pulling design and connection features and iPads have non user changeable batteries so your buying into ongoing expense. Nearly everyone will have a PC or Mac of some kind so that is normally an editor priority...
Yes. PC and Big Mac first. iPad(I don't yet have one) would just be so beautiful on the rubber landing site, space wise, gigging wise, tweaking wise and other wise.

BTW, just noticed:
Namm 12 -thread:
Replies: 516
Views: 34,161

Casio New Era -thread:
Replies: 416
Views: 21,700

Go Casio, indeed!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Casio Man View Post
Yes. PC and Big Mac first. iPad(I don't yet have one) would just be so beautiful on the rubber landing site, space wise, gigging wise, tweaking wise and other wise.

BTW, just noticed:
Namm 12 -thread:
Replies: 516
Views: 34,161

Casio New Era -thread:
Replies: 416
Views: 21,700

Go Casio, indeed!
At Sonic State they post stuff and get mostly none or occasionally 1 or 2 comments. The highest on the page when I looked was 7.. the Casio vid soon after posting had 14 comments. It's now up to 18 and that other one, the miniBrute, now has 8 comments

There is allot of interest except Gearslutz are a tad down on it on average, I guess you have a mix of ''VSTi heads'' and the the ''only pure VCO for me types'' mostly there. Unless it's made by Waldorf with insanely metallic digital it's not hip... OK I am only JKing folks but they do seem to be slaming every synth that does not fit one of those stereo types...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
There is allot of interest except Gearslutz are a tad down on it on average, I guess you have a mix of ''VSTi heads'' and the the ''only pure VCO for me types'' mostly there. Unless it's made by Waldorf with insanely metallic digital it's not hip... OK I am only JKing folks but they do seem to be slaming every synth that does not fit one of those stereo types...
Yes. I opened that door once.
01mar5-wrong-door.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard

View Post

I agree. It looks like a natural, but virtually every iPad owner has access to a Mac or PC, whereas lots of computer users don't have iPads... and I don't know how many people would be enticed to buy an iPad specifically as a $500 add on to a $500 keyboard. Then again, I kinda like the idea of buying a $500 Ventilator for it. ;-)

Archived