Fill Metro's Rack

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"Wall wart removers" remedy the situation,

I love the power supplies with the transformer in the middle instead of the end. First time I got one, I was amazed at the genius of it. I still can't believe companies still make wall warts. Not only do they cause trouble with power strips (which EVERYONE uses), they often don't even stay in walls very well.

• Members

- d550:

has a nice sound as either faux analog or totally digital and isn't terrible to program (compared to say a tg77 or vz-10m)

- korg wavestation a/d:

so you can play with teh vectorz joystick and input randumb sounds

- tx816:

way more awesome than any other fm synth, easy to program from any dx7 software editor and major libraries available

like dx7 librarian for mac: http://dx7.roundsquare.net/downloads

i find all non-dx7 or tx7 synths from yamaha lacking in the balls department like the dx7 II, fs1r, tg77, tg33, etc. i've owned all of those and more fm at some point, call me an fm snob :idk:

the only other consideration like i mentioned above is programability. rack gears are notoriously sucky for tweakage and my last holdouts d550, tg77 and vz-10m all went on the chopping block because i hated programming them compared to softsynths :facepalm:

• Members

the only other consideration like i mentioned above is programability. rack gears are notoriously sucky for tweakage and my last holdouts d550, tg77 and vz-10m all went on the chopping block because i hated programming them compared to softsynths
:facepalm:

True, but some racks are still fun to program despite the difficulty.

You'll find plenty of racks that are easy to program though. The problem is, none of those fit in a rack ;) (Korg MS2000, Radias, Nord Rack, etc.)

• Members

i have prepared something!

the following is assuming this is to be a studio rack, and that it is to be used in conjunction with a computer and DAW and external kybds/tabletops. it also assumes that at some point you may wish to dabble it OTB mixing - which of course is up to you.

metrorack.jpg

now, this is what i would do with a rack like yours, starting from scratch. i intentionally didn't include any of the analog doobie-dabbies that i like because a rack like that is really more of a set it and forget it type of thing. doesn't mean it won't perform well as the heart of your studio though!

• Members

6644738933_727d65d7d5.jpg

you drawing has found a place of honor in hanging from my newly installed hipster art ledge where I will contemplate it daily.. interestingly, I've been thinking along the same lines :thu: so it will serve as good reference.

Mainly im' going for a set it and forget it rack as mentioned. Stuff that can be edited from controllers, programmers, MIDI or USB.

I"m definitely going to get industrial cart type casters for it. I"m not really much of a singer, but if I were to get a pre, I'd get one of those portable ART tube thingys, if they still sell em. That way I can stow it when I'm not using it. I dunno.. my "Spaceships of Love" may be due for an anniversary remix..

[video=youtube;dKsx3IE7N6c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKsx3IE7N6c&list=UU6y4C9GPuSuzk8XIc0PBkhA&index=6&feature=plcp

• Members

baha i was just bored, drinking beers next to a scanner and a ruler. not kidding. i have lots of papers like that strewn about, some of them are really strange.

i forgot to include a big boy audio interface in the acquisition timeline! IMHO that should come relatively quickly. it's the foundation of the recording system!

• Members

baha i was just bored, drinking beers next to a scanner and a ruler. not kidding. i have lots of papers like that strewn about, some of them are really strange.

i forgot to include a big boy audio interface in the acquisition timeline! IMHO that should come relatively quickly. it's the foundation of the recording system!

What? Then what's item #3 on your list there?

• Members

It means "power brick" instead of "wall wart". For example: AC plug, cable, brick, cable, DC plug. Sometimes the brick is hard-wired to both cables; sometimes the AC side of the cable is detachable.

Ah thanks, you mean this. I forgot I have it too.

So yes, veracohr is right in that it's hard to believe all AC adapters aren't like this.

It's probably a cost issue ["extra" wire length and independent AC plug]. But what the hell? just charge a couple of dollars more. These are a gazillion times better than the ones with the AC plug mounted on the adapter itself.

brickw.jpg

• Members

I want a power conditioner now. Apparantly US power conditioners have regular AC outputs, but the European conditioners have IEC, so you can't insert a regular power cable... Are there any adapter cables that can solve this problem? I can't find any at all.

Archived