February New Gear Thread

evildragon

• Members

got some good deals on some really goofy items so far this month -

IMAG0074.jpg

haven't had a guitar for a while, this is a fairly nice Epiphone Dot. i've never had a hollowbody OR a guitar with humbuckers before, so this is weird. i love the sustain, but i can't do my fast-pick violin sounding technique thing as well with this instrument. but it sounds sooo good with chorus + the space echo. really enjoying it, and i've stayed current on my bass so the transition back to guitar isn't as difficult

IMAG0069.jpg

i also got this ridiculous beat-up electronic drum set for a song. i've been using the brain that came with it, but it's pretty horrible along with everything else about this thing. but they're drums, and given my skill level i don't deserve anymore than this right now. when the Nord drum brain comes out, i'll have some fun pads to use with it!

IMAG0071.jpg

no brand on this thing other than P. it may possibly be constructed entirely of pee as well, i'm not sure.

• Members

The ?Juno-2 I mentioned in the Poly-800 thread arrived today!

Sadly, it turns out the dead notes were caused by a bad contact strip. Luckily, it's only $7.50 to replace it. In the meantime, I've taken the good contact strip from the bottom octave and transplanted it to the damaged area, and the dead notes have moved accordingly.

I think it's time for a battery replacement.

• Members

I found this information considering the Alpha Juno "check battery" thing on the Internet:

After battery replaced, should do the following:

1. Power off

2. Set protect to off

3. Power on while holding down Portamento and Data Transfer

This resets the RAM and solve the Check Battery problem.

The bigger problem is that Alpha Base (the editor I got) won't read the sysex files right, and the old programs won't run on my crappy 64-bit computer.

• Members

According to Moog Music's FB post Friday, the Minitaur will be shipping this week, so it looks like I and several others will have that to add to the February list :) I've also gotten some new headphones (Shure SRH440's), a Korg Monotribe and A Moog Freqbox so far this month. iPad and Alesis I/O Box next month and Arturia Minibrute in April. It's a good year so far!

• Members

and what's the verdict?

It's good. I'm still messing with it put one has got to put in a good deal of time to get what they want out of it. I find several of the preset sounds lacking and I'm not particularly fond of the FX right now but I do prefer this over Punch. The interface is easier to understand and get around and the dynamics are more versitile than Punch.

Immediately out of the box though, I still prefer Groovemachine. Groovemachine's drumsounds are pretty "radio ready" as they are.

The Good

Nice full featured drum synthesizer.

GUI is easy to get around and understand.

Waveform window to better see and understand what your doing.

The matrix sequencer is great!

Definitely different sounding.

The Bad

Drum presets are lackluster.

FX aren't that great IMHO.

Takes a good time investment.

FXpansion pretty much make it so that you have to spend time programming it to get what you want. If you need to work quickly, this is not likely to be something you would run to. I also feel that they should improve the FX a bit but for the most part, I think it's a winner, just not an immediate "production idea" tool.

• Members

sp250_1_634554026770670000.png

Which is exactly what I need for gigging out; nice action and acceptable piano sound plus MIDI out. I play piano only and the action is the priority. These have the same action as the Korg SV-1. And at 40 pounds, I can haul it around without hurting myself.

Got it for $450 off Kijiji. Mint with the usual stand & pedal plus a bench, phones and a few beginner music books.

Any recommendations for a carrying bag?

• Members

Uh oh KoolKat... you are dangerously close to the announcement of iPad3. Nothing worse than buying something only to have it's successor released days later...

Apple has a 14-day return policy

Yeah, I know this thing will probably be outdated in about 11 minutes after purchase but it has some features that I absolutely must have -- one being the ability to act as a stand alone mod and pitch wheel.

Archived