Peavey VALVEKING 100 Head ==> New amp review

Deuterium

• Members

Hey Stratman: I see from you sig. that we both have not only the VK 100, but also the Roland Cube 30 as well as Fender Strats (mine just have scallops
:cool:
). I don't have the Remington, but I do keep 'em safe with 3 x dogs (English Setter, Gordon Setter, and English Springer Spaniel)
:):wave:
:wave:

P.S. I love Mastiffs

Yes sir, Glad this guy is on my side. He is a great dog.

me037.jpg

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i dunno. my friend had a valveking, and i thought it sounded muddy. *shrug*

That's been my experience, as well. Classic or Windsor for me. And when I play with them, I don't run the gain very high, either, and I definitely avoid the boost. The boost switches Peavey has been putting on their cheaper amps tend to just make the sound into total mud.

• Members

I did try a Valveking at a store of a while long now not but while ago. The amp itself was through a 4x12 Peavey cabinet and sounds were most impressive but next for far. I playing quite not so much for it, but more other amps like Mesa F30 and also the Rivera tube amps I think for the time playing to see and volume in that sense was sufficient and playing for a fun time.

• Members

For what its worth...... here's a couple vids of me playing through my Valve King 212:

-

Very nice, DCooper. Very nice.

And I can't unfortunately post clips, as I do not have any recording gear.

Maybe I will buy a digital camcorder and make some vids. That looks like a lot of fun. I suppose with an external mike output on the digital camcorder, you can get some decent sounds.

Cheers,

Deuterium

• Members

I have 2 Valveking 1-12 combos and the first one came with EH12AX7's and Sovtek 6L6GC's. The second came with EH 12AX7's and Ruby 6L6GC's. I changed the speakers to G12t75's and put an RCA 12AX7A in V1 on both amps and took the Sovteks out of the first amp and put in some Winged C 6L6gc's.

• Members

I have 2 Valveking 1-12 combos and the first one came with EH12AX7's and Sovtek 6L6GC's. The second came with EH 12AX7's and Ruby 6L6GC's. I changed the speakers to G12t75's and put an RCA 12AX7A in V1 on both amps and took the Sovteks out of the first amp and put in some Winged C 6L6gc's.

Hmmm...there seems to be a lot of love out there for the SED winged C 6L6s. I will definitely try these SED tubes out when my stock Sovtek tubes go South on me...which hopefully won't be for a year or so.

• Members

Haha they have too much gain for pretty much anything if you ask me. Just not enough bees for some, apparently.

Yep...this Valveking 100 has an INSANE amount of gain on tap, if you want it. I like how you can get some really classic British high-gain Lead sounds out of her, without using anywhere near the full amount of gain, available.

Also, I am absolutely convinced that this amp sounds WAY TO GOOD for the $ 400 I spent on it...but I am not complaining. Peavey really seems to be on a roll, lately. Despite the fact that the Valveking is built in China, the build quality and construction seem very solid. Heck, even the pots and switches feel as though they are quality components.

• Members

im gonna trade my 5150 combo for a valveking head i think

Well, I hope it goes without saying...

Make certain you fully demo the Valveking amp, to make certain that this is the amp for you, and that you really like it (if you haven't played thru one already). Hopefully you can find one to play at a guitar store near you.

Also, keep in mind that the 5150 Combo you have is a kick ass amp in it's own right.

• Members

im gonna trade my 5150 combo for a valveking head i think

Dude, that's an enormous change in tone. If you like the 5150 tone, you may not like the VK.

My VK came with Sovtek power tubes, and it was purchased in ~March 2006.

I had it running through V30's with an SD-1, and it was a really cool amp. I wouldn't mind picking up another someday as a backup. Either that or a Windsor, which is also a really good value.

• Members

Dude, that's an enormous change in tone. If you like the 5150 tone, you may not like the VK.

My VK came with Sovtek power tubes, and it was purchased in ~March 2006.

I had it running through V30's with an SD-1, and it was a really cool amp. I wouldn't mind picking up another someday as a backup. Either that or a Windsor, which is also a really good value.

I am thinking about getting a windsor just to be able to switch to some different tones when I want to. The Winsor and V/K are very different from each other for sure. You cant even buy an Epiphone SoCal as cheap as a Winsor.

• Members

i havent been to impressed with the 5150 combo at all. it has been a decent amp but i am totally not in love with it. i have played through a valveking combo and was totally digging it. i would love to try out the head with a nice 4x12. wonder how those two amps would mesh together recorded?

• Members

i havent been to impressed with the 5150 combo at all. it has been a decent amp but i am totally not in love with it. i have played through a valveking combo and was totally digging it. i would love to try out the head with a nice 4x12. wonder how those two amps would mesh together recorded?

It might work out well, I dunno for sure, as I've never recorded a 5150. I'd definitely go the head+2x12/4x12 route though, and not the combos for the VK's.

• Members

Its not THAT good:eek:

Well, in support of my rather bold comment, consider the following:

I spent $ 400 on the amp.

$ 400 x 3 = $ 1,200

I would be hard pressed to find a NEW high-gain 100 watt tube amp that is less than $1,200 that has the tone and build quality of the ValveKing.

The only exception might be the Peavey 5150, at just around 3 x the cost.

The new Marshall's (JVM and VM) are considerably more (approx. 4 x the cost)

I don't consider the B-52 in the same tone and quality league as the Peavey ValveKing, IMHO...so that doesn't make the list.

At lower wattage and lower gain, there is:

the 60 watt Fender Supersonic

the 30 watt Vox AC30 CC.

And at considerably lower gain (still a great amp, however) is the Peavey Classic 30.

Am I missing some amps that you feel would negate my original argument/opinion ?

If I am missing something, I will stand corrected.

• Members

I would be hard pressed to find a
NEW
high-gain 100 watt tube amp that is less than $1,200 that has the tone and build quality of the ValveKing.

Am I missing some amps that you feel would negate my original argument/opinion ?

If I am missing something, I will stand corrected.

Marshall DSL100

Carvin Legacy

Carvin V3

Hughes & Kettner Switchblade

so yeah you're missing a few amps.. but the VK is a really good amp at its price range

• Members

At lower wattage and lower gain, there is:

the 60 watt Fender Supersonic

the 30 watt Vox AC30 CC.

And at considerably lower gain (still a great amp, however) is the Peavey Classic 30.

You think the Classic is lower gain than the AC CCs? :confused:

I haven't messed with Valve Kings too much, but I don't remember them having THAT much more gain than Classics. When you turn the gain up high, it sort of jumps up when it gets just past the last quarter or so of the range into higher gain territory and sounding more "modern." Of course, you don't have much room to play with that range, and I know a Valve King certainly has that.

• Members

The only exception might be the Peavey 5150, at just around 3 x the cost.

Nah, I'd much rather have a VK than a 5150/6505. Even if you spend $400 on the amp and double it with FJA mods, it's still cheaper and at that point sounds way better, and much more versatile, IMO.

Archived