Peavey VALVEKING 100 Head ==> New amp review

Deuterium

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've had this head and cabinet for little over a year now, and it really is an amazing amp. I think a lot of people don't like the idea of a cheaper tube amp because owning a tube amp used to be a status symbol of sorts.

I don't care about that. I just listen for tone. I was sick of having to pick either a ridiculous buzz box for high gain or a amp that couldn't do gain if I wanted cleans.

I ended up selling 2 amps and got the VK head and cabinet, and I'll tell you why.

This amp is the most versatile head I've ever played though. The amount of saturation you can get stock in the lead channel is amazing, far more than I would ever need. Now, it doesn't have the fizz and buzz that newer metal players seem to love, just thick searing saturation. Something I'd rather have anyway.

When I first flipped to the clean channel I was thinking "bring on the 5150 cleans but worse" but to my surprise, this is probably the best cleans I've heard from a "rock" peavey head.

I know it's made in china, but I've been gigging for a while now ever since I got it with no troubles. I haven't even changed the tubes in it. The only times I've heard people call the VK "muddy" they either A. Don't know how to use EQ or res/pres knobs or B. had faulty tubes

This isn't a "plug and play" amp, you need to get your settings right and you're off to the races, but I'd rather have a thousand tones I have to dial in than 1 tone I can modify a little bit *5150 COUGH COUGH*. The amount of tones for this price is insane deal.

Lets also not forget the starting price of the 5150 when it first came out as well....

EDIT: I also use a bad monkey as a level boost, the trick is gain at 0 and level maxed, it's like a pushup bra for your tone :) I use this with any head I've used (even the 5150)

• Members

I don't know if anyone said this before but this to me makes the best MetallicA tones I have ever heard other than from their CD's and DVD's. I bought mine yesterday from GC and the guy was showing me a few different amps. He had the mids at about 7 which comfused me because MetallicA is know for scooped mids. I realized when I got home why he told me to do that. The Mesa Mark amps have a lot of mids to them and MetallicA had them set at about 4 so that would be like 6-7 on a normal amp. I still get the well defined speed like they get, this amp is great. I set the gain at 7, boost in, treble at 9, mid at 6, bass at 8, volume between 0.2 and 5 (depending on if anyones home, this thing is f**king loud). Presence at about 4 and resonance at 6. Texture I have right in the middle. I set the cleans pretty much the same, also with the bright in. I jst want to try a EQ pedal now. I love this amp. I was going to get a Mesa Mark III and a JCM900 but I'm very happy I got this instead. I think the MetallicA tones from this are better than any I've heard from a Mark III or a JCM900. Also the cleans are great, they have that little twang to them like from Enter Sandman, and nice neck cleans like from One. I would take this amp over any, and I've played tons. I'm a very picky guitarist when it comes to guitars and amps so it's really saying something if I like this amp without having to mess with it for days. I had the tones in about 2 hours.

This gets the gritty rat sounds from Kill Em All beautifully, the razor sharp dist from Ride The Lightning. The raw tube dist from Master of Puppets, Justice, and Black. (Also the setting for the first 5 albums I leave the same as I said before). For load to garage inc. I just lower the gain to about 3-4. For St. Anger I just lower it again to about 3 (there really isn't much gain on that album, it's just the low tuned strings).

This thing also gets Pantera amazingly (Dime was all solid state till about 2003), Joe Satriani dead on, Randy Rhoads with less gain and a boost pedal (overdrive with dist down all the way and volume up all the way), Zakk Wylde and all that good stuff.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Just thought I'd say, while testing out to see how ridiculous I could get the gain, with a bad monkey in front with level maxed and gain 0, with the heads boost on as well, with the gain on the head at just 12 o'clock.....

I'll never understand where the "not enough gain" stuff comes from, it sounded like an Ultra Plus having played quite a few.

Archived