Peavey VALVEKING 100 Head ==> New amp review

Deuterium

• Members

How is the Valve King different to the Windsor ... I mean sound wise?

Very different. The Valveking is 6L6-based, and has a modern rock vibe to it. It's mid-rangey, but not like a Marshall.

The Windsor is a one channel JCM800 knockoff. For those prices, buy both and get a Headbone! :lol:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Marshall DSL100

Carvin Legacy

Carvin V3

Hughes & Kettner Switchblade

so yeah you're missing a few amps.. but the VK is a really good amp at its price range

Hi Blima:

Some great choices...however my cut-off point for this comparison / analysis was $ 1,200.

That means I gotta Strike off from your list the Marshall DSL 100, which sells new for $ 1,400.

...even the DSL 50 is still too high at $ 1,300

Also must Strike off the Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100 watt head, as it sells new at $ 1,300.

However, you are correct with noting the Carvin amps.

For the record...the pricing was checked with:

MusciansFriend.com

ZZsounds.com

AmericanMusicalSupply.comn

• Members

Hey John!!! Long time no see!!! how are you? Check your PMs.....

Kage

Hi Kage !! PM checked and reply sent :thu:

Everything is well, bro. Hoping you and yours are doing fine.

I am a bit under the weather today, and am taking a sick day. So I am just lying in bed checking out the forum, and doing some web surfing. Oh, and I am keeping my three dogs company :)

How are things in the Big Apple ?

• Members

Hi Kage !! PM checked and reply sent
:thu:

Everything is well, bro. Hoping you and yours are doing fine.

I am a bit under the weather today, and am taking a sick day. So I am just lying in bed checking out the forum, and doing some web surfing. Oh, and I am keeping my three dogs company
:)

How are things in the Big Apple ?

So far so Good my friend!!! Feel better and we'll catch up Monday!!!

KAge

• Members

The 1X12 VK is the only one I really thing is worth the $$ but even then, the 60 watt B52 1X12 combo is just a little more if you can haggle the guitar center guys.

The Carvin MTS and B52 AT100 2X12 combos though eat the VK for breakfast. You have to put too much $$ into the VK to get it sounding in the same league as them.

• Members

The 1X12 VK is the only one I really thing is worth the $$ but even then, the 60 watt B52 1X12 combo is just a little more if you can haggle the guitar center guys.

The Carvin MTS and B52 AT100 2X12 combos though eat the VK for breakfast. You have to put too much $$ into the VK to get it sounding in the same league as them.

Well that's just crazy talk. :p

• Members

You got a good deal on it, test the tubes often and you should get many years of good use out of it.

I like the Ruby 6L6's the best and they hold up for a long time, I've had them in my amp over a year and their still going strong.

• Members

I owned the B-52 AT212 and I now own the V/K head and I will not say the B-52 was bad sounding because its a very nice amp(except it will burn your fingers when you touch switches). I do think the V/K sounds better but that is my opinion.

• Members

I had the B-52 AT-212 combo and I A/Bd it side by side with my Valve King 212.

Just going straight into the amp the B-52 sounded better. But when I put an EQ in the loop of the Valve King I was able to make it sound just as good.

So...... with the B-52 getting as hot as the Sun, and with all the reliability horror stories I've heard, and with the fact that it weighed 90 pounds...... I sold it and kept the Valve King.

But now I just play my Marshall DSL 100 cause it's my favorite.

But I did put the Valve King side by side with the Marshall and I can get it to sound very close (with an EQ in the loop, of course). So I have a GREAT backup with the Valve King 212!! :thu:

-

• Members

Mine is run thru a XXX cab so that will sure make a difference. I have never heard a V/K 212 but have heard the speakers in them leave something to be desired but I speak on experience.

I have a set of Eminence Man-O-War speakers in my VK 212.

-

• Members

I personally hate using an OD or boost in front of an amp that I know I can get natural gain from with a little help.

I dropped a 12AT7 in the V1 position and it removed the harshness the gain had when running it past noon. It now has a much more pleasant gain tone that can be rolled off to a pristine clean with different picking dynamics, even running at 3 o'clock.

It's about tonally where I used to run my 5150 when I had it, though smoother. It does not have the same kind of gain the 5150 had, but similar.

I gigged the 5150 for over 10 years and would say I'm fairly familiar with the differences. Spectacular clean channel compared to the 5150 though.

I do love my VK100, overall. Enough to possibly send it off the JerryP for final tweaks when $$$ permits.

You payed what I paid for mine from Sam Ash when they where still a fairly new line. I noticed the price increase about xmas time that year after I got mine.

Happy new amp day :) (well, maybe not, but honeymoonin with her still for sure ;))

• Members

Well guys, I'm going to retract my comment regarding the VK having poor tone. Apparently the one I have played the last few days has had failing preamp tube(s). The manager noticed last night at closing that the sound was going in and out. He tossed in a full set of JJ's and it woke that amp WAY up. The combo was the one with the regular stock fullly functioning tubes and it became blatantly apparent that the speakers are the weak link when I hooked the head from the VK 4X12 into an marshall 4X12 with V30's. WOW.

The amp was just totally different I must admit. I was shocked. And for $400 for the head out the door no less.

I still think that the class A mode is useless on the clean channel unless you want zero headroom. Going from the combo to the head/cab diming the gain, hitting the boost, the amp stayed tight and focused but the combo just fell apart.

So I don't know if the speakers were to blame or the tubes or a little of both but I've got a hunch it's a little of both. Still woudln't trade it for my V3 but with the right setup, very impressive.

• Members

Hi Blima:

Some great choices...however my cut-off point for this comparison / analysis was
$ 1,200.

That means I gotta Strike off from your list the Marshall DSL 100, which sells new for $ 1,400.

...even the DSL 50 is still too high at $ 1,300

Also must Strike off the Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100 watt head, as it sells new at $ 1,300.

However, you are correct with noting the Carvin amps.

For the record...the pricing was checked with:

MusciansFriend.com

ZZsounds.com

AmericanMusicalSupply.comn

I hear you, but the price for the VK at these same retailers is around $530. So I think they would qualify as costing 3x more.

• Members

I hear you, but the price for the VK at these same retailers is around $530. So I think they would qualify as costing 3x more.

Yeah, you are right. I was going by the special price I had received. I stand corrected.:thu:

I should have originally stated that the ValveKing is an amp that can run with other amps costing twice as much, IMHO.:)

• Members

:lol: huh? The gain on the MTS sucks, and the B-52 is nothing special.

A $400 head and a $300 cab is a lot of money to put into the VK? It's close to being the same price.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I got a 212 myself, for the price I paied blows everything else out of the water. It does what I want but Im seriously looking into getting a head/cabinet configuration in the near futur maybe a Marshall DSL 100

I just wanna say....... I have the Valve King 212.

And I have a Marshall DSL 100 and 2x12 cabinet.

I like the Marshall much better.

-

• Members

I just wanna say....... I have the Valve King 212.

And I have a Marshall DSL 100 and 2x12 cabinet.

I like the Marshall much better.

You do realize that a new Marshall DSL 100 head with a new 2 x 12 cabinet would cost you almost THREE TIMES as much as the Valve King.

I am pretty sure I might like a Fuchs ODS better than a Marshall DSL 100...but I wouldn't spend $ 3,000+ on an amp, no matter how great it sounded. And that's just my opinion, of course.

The point is....I don't understand your point of comparing the Valve King to a Marshall DSL 100 ??

• Members

Could you do us a favour?

Chuck a high-gain distortion pedal in front and tell me how it sounds? Considering one as a stand-in until I get a decent amp again.

the valveking IS a decent amp, and more.

oh wait, its not BOOOOOTEEEEK $44000 handmade :freak:

sorry, I forgot.

carry on

Archived