Peavey VALVEKING 100 Head ==> New amp review

Deuterium

• Members

Bottom Line:

The Peavey Valve King 100 head represents so much Bang for the Buck...it is almost sick. It sounds fantastic, and the build quality appears to be very solid.

It definitely goes to the head of the class, when it comes to a 100 watt (4 x 6L6s) all tube head, 2-channels, buffered FX loop, on-board reverb, and the very neat "Texture" control...all for $ 400-500 dollars.

Is it better then a new Marshall JVM head ?? Well, no, I am pretty certain it isn't...but it also isn't

$ 1,600.

It's all about VALUE...and the Peavey Valve King is a remarkable example of this.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I tried the Valveking 100 thru a 4x12 and the 2x12 Valveking. The 100 was awesome while the 2x12 was lacking. I think the speakers in the 2x12 are mismatched to the amp.

As for powertubes, I used Ruby's and Sovteks and haven't noticed any difference.

• Members

I tried the Valveking 100 thru a 4x12 and the 2x12 Valveking. The 100 was awesome while the 2x12 was lacking. I think the speakers in the 2x12 are mismatched to the amp.

As for powertubes, I used Ruby's and Sovteks and haven't noticed any difference.

Hi Clara Bess:

Yeah, I can't speak for the Valve King 212 Combo, as I never tried it, nor wanted it. I wanted the head, which I play thru my Vox V212BN (2 x 12) cabinet with the standard Wharfedale speakers. This combination is KILLER!

• Members

Yeah I spent $850 for my Marshall DSL 100 (used) head (off Ebay). And $350 for my Lopoline 2x12 cab with Vintage 30s (brand new).

So that's $1200 for that rig as opposed to the $575 I spent on the Valve King 212 brand new.

I just have a hard time getting good high gain tones with the Valve King.... it's very harsh, brash and piercing at band volume. But an EQ in the loop makes a WORLD of difference and allows for a tone much more to my liking. I just pull 1.6K completely down and that's a HUGE improvement right there. :thu:

And the Valve King also sounds KILLER powering my Roland GP-8 processor (my favorite processor - read HC reviews on it).

So I like the Valve King. I'm just on a honeymoon with my DSL 100 right now. :D

-

• Members

Yeah I spent $850 for my Marshall DSL 100 (used) head (off Ebay). And $350 for my Lopoline 2x12 cab with Vintage 30s (brand new).

So that's $1200 for that rig as opposed to the $575 I spent on the Valve King 212 brand new.

I just have a hard time getting good high gain tones with the Valve King.... it's very harsh, brash and piercing at band volume. But an EQ in the loop makes a WORLD of difference and allows for a tone much more to my liking. I just pull 1.6K completely down and that's a HUGE improvement right there.
:thu:

And the Valve King also sounds KILLER powering my Roland GP-8 processor (my favorite processor - read HC reviews on it).

So I like the Valve King. I'm just on a honeymoon with my DSL 100 right now.
:D

-

Dcooper: Does your ValveKing combo have a Speaker Out ?

If it does, try bypassing the internal speaker of your combo, and running your ValveKing (via speaker out) into your Lopoline 2 x 12 Cabinet...and see what you think.

• Members

Dcooper: Does your ValveKing combo have a Speaker Out ?

If it does, try bypassing the internal speaker of your combo, and running your ValveKing (via speaker out) into your Lopoline 2 x 12 Cabinet...and see what you think.

Oh yeah I definitely wanna try that. I have Eminence Man-O-War speakers in the VK right now. They are pretty bright so that might be where some of the harshness is coming from.

I also have a set of Texas Heats I wanna try in the VK also. They're supposed to be "thick and chunky with a hint of British flavor".

I have also thought about trying the original Valve King speakers that came with it. I still have them on hand and I never really gave 'em a chance. I pretty much pulled 'em as soon as I got the amp.

But even with the Man-O-Wars, I still get a great tone as long as I throw that EQ in the loop and pull out 1.6K. That frequency just sounds really nasally and trashy to me.

-

• Members

Oh yeah I definitely wanna try that. I have Eminence Man-O-War speakers in the VK right now. They are pretty bright so that might be where some of the harshness is coming from.

I also have a set of Texas Heats I wanna try in the VK also. They're supposed to be "thick and chunky with a hint of British flavor".

I have also thought about trying the original Valve King speakers that came with it. I still have them on hand and I never really gave 'em a chance. I pretty much pulled 'em as soon as I got the amp.

But even with the Man-O-Wars, I still get a great tone as long as I throw that EQ in the loop and pull out 1.6K. That frequency just sounds really nasally and trashy to me.

-

Hi DB:

Just curious...

Are you using a real "pro"-style rack FX unit for the EQ tweaking in the loop (I love my Rocktron Xpression), or are you simply using something like a BOSS EQ pedal?

If you are diggin' the Valve King, I recommend you invest in something like the Rocktron Xpression (which you can also use with your Marshall DSL in it's FX loop). There is ENDLESS amounts of EQ tweakability, along with a ton of warm, digital Reverbs and Echoes/Delays. I use my Xpression with whatever amp I happen to be using at the time...and it makes all the difference in the world.

You may already know this, but just in case not....you never want to put time-based FX in front of the amp (e.g. chorus, reverb, delay) and thus before the amp's preamp section. So, if you have these type of pedals...sell them :) and get a nice pro-style rack FX unit to put in your amp's FX loop.

• Members

Hi DB:

Just curious...

Are you using a real "pro"-style rack FX unit for the EQ tweaking in the loop (I love my Rocktron Xpression), or are you simply using something like a BOSS EQ pedal?

If you are diggin' the Valve King, I recommend you invest in something like the Rocktron Xpression (which you can also use with your Marshall DSL in it's FX loop). There is ENDLESS amounts of EQ tweakability, along with a ton of warm, digital Reverbs and Echoes/Delays. I use my Xpression with whatever amp I happen to be using at the time...and it makes all the difference in the world.

You may already know this, but just in case not....you never want to put time-based FX in front of the amp (e.g. chorus, reverb, delay) and thus before the amp's preamp section. So, if you have these type of pedals...sell them
:)
and get a nice pro-style rack FX unit to put in your amp's FX loop.

Oh yeah.... I have several rack effects units. I don't think they're as high end as the Rocktron Xpression, but I have:

Digitech TSR-12

DOD G7

Alesis Quadraverb

Roland GP-16

Roland GP-8

POD PRO

POD XT PRO

V-AMP PRO

The one I'm using in my rack right now is the old trusty Roland GP-8.

And I'm using a Samson S-Curve 31 band EQ which I LOVE!!!!

DSC02530.jpg

• Members

Oh yeah.... I have several rack effects units. I don't think they're as high end as the Rocktron Xpression, but I have:

Digitech TSR-12

DOD G7

Alesis Quadraverb

Roland GP-16

Roland GP-8

POD PRO

POD XT PRO

V-AMP PRO

The one I'm using in my rack right now is the old trusty Roland GP-8.

And I'm using a Samson S-Curve 31 band EQ which I LOVE!!!!

DSC02501.jpg

:eek: :eek: :thu: :thu: :thu:

I would definitely say you are all set in the professional rack FX gear. The Alesis Quadraverb must be pretty nice.

Anyways...great gear, and a very nice pic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Okay, here is what I have learned after a month with the Peavey Valve King 100 Head.............

This amp still friggin' rocks !

And I remain convinced that this amp is worth 3 x the price I paid for it.

Maybe so, but you should really check out a JSX then, if you like the VK.

• Members

Okay, here is what I have learned after a month with the Peavey Valve King 100 Head.............

This amp still friggin' rocks !

And I remain convinced that this amp is worth 3 x the price I paid for it.

You may have allready seen it..... but here is a new vid of me playing my Valve King 212:

-

• Members

Maybe so, but you should really check out a JSX then, if you like the VK.

I have tried the JSX, and it is a great amp. However, I actually prefer the Valve King because I feel that I can more easily dial in vintage tones. The JSX is very modern in it's voicing...and while you can dial in all kinds of great tones on the JSX...they still sound more modern than "classic".

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Mine came with RUBY 6L6's and EH 12AX7s. And honestly, it really doesn't shine until you do some EQ'ing. I run gain boost on, and gain set to about between 2-3'oclock. With an eq and it acting as a boost, it gets really tight and defined. I still really don't feel it's as close to the 5150 as you think it is. I'd say poor man's 5150, because it is indeed capable of doing a couple things a 5150 can do. It's very close for single note riffing tones, and things of that nature. Open chords are nice, but 5th chords/power chords really aren't as smooth, yet IN YOUR FACE, as the 5150. 5150 cleans house in this area.

• Members

I had read in some other posts that the early heads shipped with Sovtecs and were changed to Ruby's later on. Have you opened it up and looked at the pre-amp tubes?

Mine came stock with Ruby, I forget the pre amp tubes though since I have changed them since I bought my VK head. Great amp though, I never doubt it.

• Members

Mine came with RUBY 6L6's and EH 12AX7s. And honestly, it really doesn't shine until you do some EQ'ing. I run gain boost on, and gain set to about between 2-3'oclock. With an eq and it acting as a boost, it gets really tight and defined. I still really don't feel it's as close to the 5150 as you think it is. I'd say poor man's 5150, because it is indeed capable of doing a couple things a 5150 can do. It's very close for single note riffing tones, and things of that nature. Open chords are nice, but 5th chords/power chords really aren't as smooth, yet IN YOUR FACE, as the 5150. 5150 cleans house in this area.

Wow...this thread has been resurrected :cool:

Jester, I only mentioned the 5150 (by way of comparison) in terms of level of gain. They are two very different sounding amps, tone-wise, to be sure. Now, the 5150 is a great amp. However, I subjectively prefer the over-all tone and features on the ValveKing (just my opinion) over the 5150. If these amps were the same exact same price...I would still go with the ValveKing, without a hesitation. I personally prefer the tone on the ValveKing because I feel it has more of a classic, "British" vibe to it, as compared to the pure, modern, American 5150. Again, they are both great amps, but I can dial in a more vintage, "Plexi-ish" tone with the ValveKing, which suits my playing style more than a modern-voiced amp such as the 5150.

On a different subject, and just as a side-note for those who might be interested in the ValveKing...

I do not use anywhere near the amount of gain this amp can naturally put out. I do not engage the gain boost switch (so that is "off"), and I have the gain set around 10:00 or 11:00. I prefer the tone I get from boosting the front of a tube amp that is set to just breaking-up (crunch) with a nice Overdrive pedal. I use either an Analog Man DOD YJM 308 mod, Analog Man DS-1/Pro mod, or a stock DigiTech Bad Monkey.

I realize that many people prefer using only the amp's natural gain (no pedals)...and the Peavey ValveKing has enough use-able gain available for almost any body's taste, I would think. However, I have always preferred the use of an OD pedal in front of a good tube amp...even if it is a "high-gain" type of amp.

Archived