If you had to guess at how you compare to other HC guitarists

Sandman31774

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Man, I think HC is where the goodplayers who want to learn more come. I feel compatible with most of the comments already posted; I feel I am far better than all the guitar players in my small town, yet I don't feel I am nearly as good as I would like to be, although musical composition has always been more important to me than just shredding.

• Members

I would say I am in the bottom percentage when it comes to lead playing as it was never something that really interested me, but I am confident in my rhythm playing. As of late though I am becoming more interested in concentrating on lead work and things of that nature. There are definately some killer players here, but I still think there is more to playing than knowing every trick in the book and being able to shred. I have heard some clips of absolutely stunning playing, both from a technical aspect and a composition aspect, I have also heard clips where I wonder why the guys have allowed themselves to post that clip. Doesn`t really matter though as I never viewed guitar as a competition

I was going to post nearly the same thing...

I've never had a lot of interest in lead playing in the near seven years I've played guitar. I don't idolize guitar players; I appreciate songwriters and performers...

I've been much more into synth and keyboards lately too...

• Members

Im pretty damn sloppy but im really well rounded. i play in an indie/acoustic band, a grindcore band, a metalcore band, and a radio rock band. my sloppiness comes from the fact that i have baseball every day and dont get a lot of time to rehearse. ill get an idea and not be able to play for a couple days and then ill remember the idea and relearn it. when im actually playing a few hours every day id say im in the top 50%. my shredding is pretty middle of the road but im more than competent in my comfort zone. right now im probably in the 20% range

• Members

I am most def in the bottom echelon of players here. I hear so many guys that are so good it blows my mind. It does make me wanna practice though!

You're not serious are you Gary? I think your lead playing is great. Don't underestimate yourself. Every time I listen to one of your clips I think about putting my guitar down!;):wave:

• Members
You're not serious are you Gary? I think your lead playing is great. Don't underestimate yourself. Every time I listen to one of your clips I think about putiing my guitar down!
;):wave:

Brother thank you, but I am dead serious. I truly am. I haven't picked up the guitar in a week now I am in such a funk about my playing. I am still able to do the Lynchy and DeMartini kinda thing but it is old to me. I hear it come off my fingers and I honest to goodness cringe. I almost threw the guitar on the hardwood floors in disgust the last time I put it on in the middle of last week.

I need something to recharge me and I am just not sure what it is.

• Members

What the hell makes someone better then someone else?

Is it songwriting? Playing flurries of sweep-picked arpeggios with absolutely no rhythm whatsoever (seems to be the gauge they use at GC), vibrato sexyness? Perhaps it's stage presence and showmanship?

It's art, it can be judged, however it's not the outcome of the judging that matters, its the depth of inspiration the audience (no matter how big or small) takes away from the experience.

-W

• Members

I do OK - I'm able to do stuff I like, I enjoy my voice on the instrument, and I am able to record somewhat on a professional level, and that's what's important to me. I like a lot of the players here, tho, and there are quite a few that do things I wish I could do, at all skill levels.

It ain't a competition. There are players here I like a lot who are relatively unpolished, and there are some real studs that leave me kinda cold. But I think my personality comes across in my playing, and that is a bigger deal than whether I am the fastest or most technical. And my taste in other players runs that way, too.

• Members

...There are players here I like a lot who are relatively unpolished, and there are some real studs that leave me kinda cold...

hear hear! It's all so relative. I enjoy myself and that's what it's all about - course it took till I was 55 to understand that. I hated the few times I really gigged as I had to play the same crap OVER AND OVER and songs I really detested - now it's just about the "fun"... and not about the "fastest" or the "best".

• Members

MAYBE 40-50%

a lot of guys here seem to be around my skill level...the others i've heard seem kinda split even; there are definitely some guys on here better than i'll ever be

that's not accounting for guys who never post clips, or the ones i just haven't caught their postings

while this isn't a competition, it's a great motivational tool for me...hearing some of the players here doing what they can do has been a real eye opener, and has caused me to improve my playing a lot over the last couple years; not because i'm trying to outshow anyone, but because i'm inspired by them

• Members

I do OK - I'm able to do stuff I like, I enjoy my voice on the instrument, and I am able to record somewhat on a professional level, and that's what's important to me. I like a lot of the players here, tho, and there are quite a few that do things I wish I could do, at all skill levels.

It ain't a competition. There are players here I like a lot who are relatively unpolished, and there are some real studs that leave me kinda cold. But I think my personality comes across in my playing, and that is a bigger deal than whether I am the fastest or most technical. And my taste in other players runs that way, too.

That about sums it up for me as well teebes, very well said..

I will add that Im not happy with where I am, Ive actually lost a bit and I know that I have it within me to be much better( a better version of what I already do if that makes sense) I will also add that I cant Record for {censored}...

Archived