Yanks Sox

JBecker

• Members

As a Yankees fan, this weekend hurt real bad, but I think there is a story even bigger than the 4hr in a row and the sweep--

The Yanks were outscored 21-17 when facing the aces of the Boston staff while we've got 4 starters on the DL and guys who've thrown 1 major league game (well now two) and Double A ball otherwise.

If the Yanks could stay healthy and get their starters into the 6th/7th inning more, this is going to be a great pennant race.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It was great for Boston but it's only April...too early for anything. And Boston really only had 1 ace pitch in the series...Schilling. Beckett is NOT an ace but has potential to be one. Once he settled down on saturday, he pitched well. Dice-K is basically a rookie and was getting his feet wet in this rivalry last night. He'll be alot better next time. Should be an entertaining season though.

The Yanks better figure out their bullpen fast though. You can't be bringing Pettite in to pitch in relief on his "throw" day. That was desperation. Rivera also needs to pitch the 9th and nothing more.

• Members

It was great for Boston but it's only April...too early for anything. And Boston really only had 1 ace pitch in the series...Schilling. Beckett is NOT an ace but has potential to be one. Once he settled down on saturday, he pitched well. Dice-K is basically a rookie and was getting his feet wet in this rivalry last night. He'll be alot better next time. Should be an entertaining season though.

The Yanks better figure out their bullpen fast though. You can't be bringing Pettite in to pitch in relief on his "throw" day. That was desperation. Rivera also needs to pitch the 9th and nothing more.

The Yanks still faced Boston's 3 best pitchers while running out 2 of their own that should still be in AA and AAA. I mean they still lost and there is no excuse for that, but thay put up a good fight for being at a disadvantage in the pitching dept.

The Yanks bullpen will be fine once they get a break. They are just over-worked, and IMO under-worked when it comes to Rivera. He can't go a week between appearances and be expected to be sharp (location wise). They have been filling the gaps while trying to overcome injuries to their startes and the fill-ins aren't even getting 5 innings in daily. With Wang returning this week it will be a big boost for them. He's a workhorse that eats up innings.

At the end of the season I predict it will be just like every year - pretty much even with one team winning 1 more game than the other, maybe two.

• Members

Rivera is no longer the game's best closer, though. He's lost something on his pitches, and his cutter simply doesn't scare hitters like it used to.

Not to fly the Twinkies flag more than I need to, but I'd take Joe Nathan over Rivera any day of the week.

• Members

Joe Torre had a terrible weekend, holy {censored} poor decisions and terrible bullpen managment! (i know the starters are hurt but cmon STOP BABY"ing" the starters)

Also can someone on the Yankees PLEASE PLEASE blast a {censored}ing red sox player! :mad: Torre is such a bitch with this, brush a guy off the plate, the sox just dig in.

Manny Ramirez :evil: That SOB just kills the Yanks and he just sits and admires his HR's, i DESPISE that (im old school with that) knock his terrible looking-goofy-ass dread ass down ASAP! Anyone who admires there HR needs a kockdown ASAP.

:idea:

• Members

Rivera is no longer the game's best closer, though. He's lost something on his pitches, and his cutter simply doesn't scare hitters like it used to.

Not to fly the Twinkies flag more than I need to, but I'd take Joe Nathan over Rivera any day of the week.

RIvera started off slow like this the past 2 years, why is everyone suprised? He did the same thing in 05, and he still bounced back. He is getting up there in age though. And didn't i see Nathan blow a game last week? The Twins are a nice team but they just don't have enough starting pitching. With the addition of Sheffield i feel the Tigers are going to run away again with that division.

• Members

RIvera started off slow like this the past 2 years, why is everyone suprised? He did the same thing in 05, and he still bounced back. He is getting up there in age though. And didn't i see Nathan blow a game last week? The Twins are a nice team but they just don't have enough starting pitching. With the addition of Sheffield i feel the Tigers are going to run away again with that division.

Sheffield is a team-wrecker. He did it with the Yankess, why are the Tigers any different?

Ramon Ortiz has looked incredibly strong so far this season, as had Silva (who was TERRIBLE last season), and Santana is without a doubt the BEST pitcher in the AL, and probably in the entire league. Plus, Matt Garza looked great in spring training, and he'll probably replace Bonser in a matter of a week or so - I give Bonser one more start before he goes to the minors.

• Members

Joe Torre had a terrible weekend, holy {censored} poor decisions and terrible bullpen managment! (i know the starters are hurt but cmon STOP BABY"ing" the starters)

Also can someone on the Yankees PLEASE PLEASE blast a {censored}ing red sox player!
:mad:
Torre is such a bitch with this, brush a guy off the plate, the sox just dig in.

Manny Ramirez
:evil:
That SOB just kills the Yanks and he just sits and admires his HR's, i DESPISE that (im old school with that) knock his terrible looking-goofy-ass dread ass down ASAP! Anyone who admires there HR needs a kockdown ASAP.

Torre blew Fridays game. He said ALL SPRING LONG that he wasn't going to bring RIvera in during the 8th. And Myers against Ortiz doesn't work.

I look at it this way. The Yanks should have won Friday, and had enough chances to win last night with a guy who should be pitching in AAA. The Yankees faced Bostons best pitchers and hit them all pretty good. Wang comes back Tuesday, Matsui later this week and Mussina soon after. And Bostons lineup is decent but not scary at all. After Ortix and Manny there isn't much there. The AAA pitchers made Lowell and Drew look good.

Pavano can just go away. I want to see Hughes and i have a feeling we will see Clemens. And it's April and the Yanks always pass Boston in the hot Summer months. This year shouldn't be any different.

• Members

Also can someone on the Yankees PLEASE PLEASE blast a {censored}ing red sox player!
:mad:
Torre is such a bitch with this, brush a guy off the plate, the sox just dig in.

Manny Ramirez
:evil:
That SOB just kills the Yanks and he just sits and admires his HR's, i DESPISE that (im old school with that) knock his terrible looking-goofy-ass dread ass down ASAP! Anyone who admires there HR needs a kockdown ASAP.

Ditto.

Henn is the long relief man. Why is he only pitching 2/3 of an inning? There was also no reason to bring Rivera in for 5 outs. Also, Farnsworth should be in there for slop time. He has no business being on the mound with the game on the line at this point.

I would love to see both Manny and Ortiz get one or two thrown right under their chins. The Yankee pitchers need to show them that the plate belongs to them. As it stands, they just stand in the box waiting for a ball to hit. At the minimun they should be making them move their feet or show that they can be 'wild' just ot keep them honest.

• Members

even when mussina and pavano and everyone comes off the DL, they have no relief guys and riveria is a dinosaur. the whole team is falling into that niche Arod had last season, theyre great until they enter a high pressure situation. the yankees have always had the mentality that every year has to be a championship year and anything else is unacceptable. a good mentality for a winning team, but when the talent is simply not there its a lost cause. they need to stop trading away prospects for vets to make a temporary fix and take a year or two to build a team up.

• Members

even when mussina and pavano and everyone comes off the DL, they have no relief guys and riveria is a dinosaur. the whole team is falling into that niche Arod had last season, theyre great until they enter a high pressure situation. the yankees have always had the mentality that every year has to be a championship year and anything else is unacceptable. a good mentality for a winning team, but when the talent is simply not there its a lost cause.
they need to stop trading away prospects for vets to make a temporary fix and take a year or two to build a team up

Bullseye. It's been said many times that you can't buy a championship, and the Yanks have proven that for the last 6 years. They are looking for one or two good years from guys, and they are destroying their foundations just to get these talents.

Honestly, the Yankees will always be the benchmark for baseball dynasties, but Steinbrenner has to keep some young talent around, and he has to develop local talent, too.

• Members

even when mussina and pavano and everyone comes off the DL, they have no relief guys and riveria is a dinosaur. the whole team is falling into that niche Arod had last season, theyre great until they enter a high pressure situation. the yankees have always had the mentality that every year has to be a championship year and anything else is unacceptable. a good mentality for a winning team, but when the talent is simply not there its a lost cause. they need to stop trading away prospects for vets to make a temporary fix and take a year or two to build a team up.

Where have you been the last 2 yrs? :freak:

Seriously? The Yankees have STOPPED doing this for a lil while now (they used to do it) but Cashman as the main GM has not done this and just this winter got alot of pitching prospects back in the Shefield, Randy Johnson trades and didnt trade away Philipp hughes (maybe best pitching prospect in baseball)

Thankfully the yanks have not done this recently!

• Members

Sheffield is a team-wrecker. He did it with the Yankess, why are the Tigers any different?

Ramon Ortiz has looked incredibly strong so far this season, as had Silva (who was TERRIBLE last season), and Santana is without a doubt the BEST pitcher in the AL, and probably in the entire league. Plus, Matt Garza looked great in spring training, and he'll probably replace Bonser in a matter of a week or so - I give Bonser one more start before he goes to the minors.

Leyland was Sheffield's manager in Florida so it's no suprise he went there. I had a party when he left the Yankees. Him and Randy Johnson are just 2 nasty miserable guys. Sheffield should be under the microscope like Bonds since he juiced up just as much. Sheffield is still a great hitter but in the playoffs in clutch spots he was just as bad as Arod so I'm glad he's gone.

I like Detriot pitchers Verlander, Bonderman, and Robertson. Kenny Rogers can go fornicate with an iron pole. He's another nast SOB and a cheater. He was greasin the ball last year in the playoffs. And they should cal pudge slim now, no more roids for him to beef up on.

I'll cheer for your Twins against the Tigers but i think you needed Liriano healthy this year to beat them. Ramon Ortiz looks great but will he hold up?

• Members

You're missing a lot of info, like how the Yanks were capitalizing on all of Dice-K's mistakes last night, making sure that a hit batter and a walk didn't leave men stradned, etc. The bullpen is average, but there's nothing that can be done when you're on pace to throw more innings than any bullpen ever. Without starting pitching that can get at least INTO the 6th inning, the best bullpen ever in baseball will fall apart. To say taht Mariano is a dinosaur is to not have watched him the last 3 or 4 years. Despite the fact that he's lost a little juice on his ball, the guy is a monster come May 15th and doesn't stop being a monster straight through the post season. Every year the same retarded ESPN commentators claim will be the downfall of Rivera and every year he comes out one of hte most effective closers in the game.

The truth is, for 5 years Cashman has {censored}ed up this team by not re-emphasizing scouting and making moves fro the good young pitchers in the game, but in the end, we're still afloat and contenders every year and as a sports fan there's not much more I can ask for.

• Members

Actually their pen is pretty good when not overworked. Rivera still throws great. He does not yet have his location, that will come with more work. So far this year he has only had 2 save opp's and not had enough work to keep him sharp.

You must not pay much attention to the Yankees. They have been trading away vets for prospects (Sheff and Johnson this past offseason). They have an excellent farm system at the moment, some even say in the top ten in the league. Cashman has been rebuilding the last two years. Hughes, Sanchez, Tabata, etc.... are all top prospects. The same farm system has also produced Wang, Cano and Cabrera over the past two years.

• Members

I'll cheer for your Twins against the Tigers but i think you needed Liriano healthy this year to beat them. Ramon Ortiz looks great but will he hold up?

I'm not sure that Liriano will ever be the same. It was his slider that got hitters in such bad spirits, and his motion (along with lack of any physical training outside of baseball) is what destroyed his elbow last year.

I have a good feeling about Matt Garza, though. His motion is incredibly smooth, and he throws really hard without looking like he's straining.

• Members

Where have you been the last 2 yrs?
:freak:

Seriously? The Yankees have STOPPED doing this for a lil while now (they used to do it) but Cashman as the main GM has not done this and just this winter got alot of pitching prospects back in the Shefield, Randy Johnson trades and didnt trade away Philipp hughes (maybe best pitching prospect in baseball)

Thankfully the yanks have not done this recently!

Yes, this off-seasons moves are the only reason there is a single starter on the Yanks right now. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come.

People forget Melky, Cano, and Soriano all came out of our farm system in the last 6 years and I'm sure the latter two are damn good players, and I suspect that Melky will be as well. We've got the farm system, it's just Steinbrenner's mid-season tirade that {censored}s with it. Thankfully, we have robust enough scouting that we can replenish fast.

• Members

Actually their pen is pretty good when not overworked. Rivera still throws great. He does not yet have his location, that will come with more work. So far this year he has only had 2 save opp's and not had enough work to keep him sharp.

You must not pay much attention to the Yankees. They have been trading away vets for prospects (Sheff and Johnson this past offseason). They have an excellent farm system at the moment, some even say in the top ten in the league. Cashman has been rebuilding the last two years. Hughes, Sanchez, Tabata, etc.... are all top prospects. The same farm system has also produced Wang, Cano and Cabrera over the past two years.

+ 1 thats what i said about 3-4 mins before you :p

The Yanks of the 80's 90's early 2000 use to do this but recently have stopped and at least TRIED to correct that trend.. Dont forget 19 game winner Wang is a Yanks farmhand also!

SOMEONE PLEASE KNOCK DOWN ORTIZ OR RAMIREZ (THAT COCKY PRICK)

Jeter + ARod get hit, the rookie gives up 4 hr's in a row 4! and NOTHING HAPPENS TO A SOX? DISGRACEFULL! :mad::evil:

• Members

Yes, this off-seasons moves are the only reason there is a single starter on the Yanks right now. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come.

People forget Melky, Cano, and Soriano all came out of our farm system in the last 6 years and I'm sure the latter two are damn good players, and I suspect that Melky will be as well. We've got the farm system, it's just Steinbrenner's mid-season tirade that {censored}s with it. Thankfully, we have robust enough scouting that we can replenish fast.

But where is Soriano now?

Cano looked good last year, and I honestly haven't watched the Yanks this year, so I'm not sure where he's at now, but your GM needs to make sure that you don't unload these guys for some "mid-season veteran talent" like is par for the course lately.

Archived