Yanks Sox

JBecker

• Members

Keep in mind that the Yanks and Sox are also sending a lot of money to those lower revenue teams. Most of whom can afford a much higher payroll but choose not to. Tampa Bay only spend what they receive in revenue sharing for example. For years Detroit was the biggest offender of this practice. That's just not right.

I do realize that. KC also is guilty of pocketing a lot of that cash. They end up being the Arizona Cardinals of baseball... I just think that it is not as healthy for the competitive balance to have a salary structure that is that far out of whack. I just thank the Dodgers and the Mets (up until recently) who spent tons of money on guys that weren't worth it...

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hughes is in the rotation this week. We'll see how he does. He'll be lucky to live up to all the hype that has started about him. I've never complained about the Yankees (or Red Sox, for that matter) strategy. I just think football has it right - everyone has a chance to compete on a more even playing field. I'm just more impressed by the Tigers, Twins, and A's who can compete with a much lower payroll.

I'm thinking that Schilling is going to run out of gas later in the year. He doesn't have the stamina he used to. If he was smart, he'd start doing the Clemens 2/3 season thing. It's tough to be a power pitcher with a 93 mph fastball - just ask Pedro. The Sox will go as far as Beckett/DiceK will take them.

The Tigers young pitching can be a factor, but they sure as hell won't sneak up on anyone this year. Hopefully Sheffield can have a decent season for them. I don't trust Todd Jones at the end of games - seen him too many years in Colorado and Boston where he bombed.

They are forced to bring up Hughes, they just don't have anyone else to pitch. And Kie Igawa looks like a bust so far, he got pounded by the Devil Rays last night, another 2 homer night by Arod gone to waste. The pitching isn't lined up very well for the upcoming series with the Sox. Pettitte is pitching Wed night against Toronto so the Sox won't see him, but they will see Wang.

• Members

Forcing a prospect can often have disasterous results... We'll see. I hope he can do well (but not against the Sox).

Funny thing I heard on the radio this morning - "At this point, I don't think it makes sense for the Sox to go after Clemens." I almost fell out of my chair, which would have been bad because I was driving. What ever happened to the philosophy "you can never have enough good pitching?"

• Members

Forcing a prospect can often have disasterous results... We'll see. I hope he can do well (but not against the Sox).

Funny thing I heard on the radio this morning - "At this point, I don't think it makes sense for the Sox to go after Clemens." I almost fell out of my chair, which would have been bad because I was driving. What ever happened to the philosophy "you can never have enough good pitching?"

Does some guy Barnacle have talk radio show up there? The station down here, WFAN 660, often has a guy named Barnacle on the air whenever there's a Sox/Yanks series. Usually it's Mike and the Maddog who have him on.

And i really dislike Clemens. Lots of Yankee fans were disgusted in 99 when they let Wells go for Clemens. Wells was very popular here. And Clemens really had nothing to do with the 99 World Series. He pitched game 4 when they were already up 3-0. And the whole thing with Piazza made Clemens look like a fool. Piazza owned Clemens so he took him out with that throw to the head. IMHO he really meant to take him out.

But in this day and age you're bound to get players on your team you don't like so i just cheer for the uniform, which most people do anyway. I mean, how the hell can anyone cheer for Sheffield? Remember last year when he took at swing at some people in Fenway when they were reaching for the ball, what an ass he is.

• Members

Does some guy Barnacle have talk radio show up there? The station down here, WFAN 660, often has a guy named Barnacle on the air whenever there's a Sox/Yanks series. Usually it's Mike and the Maddog who have him on.

And i really dislike Clemens. Lots of Yankee fans were disgusted in 99 when they let Wells go for Clemens. Wells was very popular here. And Clemens really had nothing to do with the 99 World Series. He pitched game 4 when they were already up 3-0. And the whole thing with Piazza made Clemens look like a fool. Piazza owned Clemens so he took him out with that throw to the head. IMHO he really meant to take him out.

But in this day and age you're bound to get players on your team you don't like so i just cheer for the uniform, which most people do anyway. I mean, how the hell can anyone cheer for Sheffield? Remember last year when he took at swing at some people in Fenway when they were reaching for the ball, what an ass he is.

The Sheffield thing was two years ago. I think he had every right to swing at the fan. He went back to make the catch and they pulled on him and threw a beer on him. They crossed the line.

Clemens is a better pitcher than Wells in every sense. Wells is often hurt and although the fans liked him he was a pain in management's ass. That was a great trade imo.

I think you're talking about Mike Barnacle the ex-journalist form the Boston Globe that was fired in disgrace for plagiarism. I wouldn't pay any attention to what he says. He's a hack. I don't think Boston will go after Clemens, they don't wan to spend that kind of money on him. I never eally considered them a contender for his services anyway. It's down to NY and Houston. If it boils down to who will pay the most between the two then he'll be in pinstripes.

• Members

By the same token, you can't fault a German in the 30s for being a Nazi, I suppose?

I'm actually offended by that, highly. What a ridiculous thing to say...

No, I can't fault someone for voting in Hitler but I sure as hell can for sending 150 members of my family to the gas chambers without so much as whimpering a protest.

Holy {censored}, you're an ass.

• Members

ah yes, a right good trouncing of the gazzillionaires is always a great way to start the season.:thu: But it's way too early to get too excited. The Yank-me's have no pitching right now, but if their starters return strong they will be tough to beat. A-roid appears to be headed for a record season and the rest of their lineup is pretty strong, as usual. The good news is the Sox have an outstanding pitching staff. So long as they stay healthy and get into the playoffs, pitching wins championships. So while I'm not peeing myslef just yet, so far so good. Go Sox! Yankee's suck.:p;):D

• Members

No, I can't fault someone for voting in Hitler but I sure as hell can for sending 150 members of my family to the gas chambers without so much as whimpering a protest.

I wasn't saying Nazis were good. My point (admittedly taken to extreme lengths) is that you can think for yourself. I was raised by Celtics fans. Doesn't mean I have to like the Celtics. You have a choice in whether you like the Yankees or not, but you cop out and blame your family.

And I would say that you sure as heck can blame someone for voting Hitler in. He said exactly what he planned to do before he became chancellor.

I apologize for offending you. Irony doesn't translate well on message boards. But you missed my point entirely.

• Members

I wasn't saying Nazis were good. My point (admittedly taken to extreme lengths) is that you can think for yourself. I was raised by Celtics fans. Doesn't mean I have to like the Celtics. You have a choice in whether you like the Yankees or not, but you cop out and blame your family.

And I would say that you sure as heck can blame someone for voting Hitler in. He said exactly what he planned to do before he became chancellor.

I apologize for offending you. Irony doesn't translate well on message boards. But you missed my point entirely.

I think that his original point was that he grew up in New York, around the Yankees, and is a Yankees fan due to that. No more, no less.

Lay off of the political or Nazi {censored} - your reasoning and logic is incredibly flawed.

• Members

I think that his original point was that he grew up in New York, around the Yankees, and is a Yankees fan due to that. No more, no less.

I got that. I was pointing out that he has a choice. He can leave the dark side behind.

Lay off of the political or Nazi {censored} - your reasoning and logic is incredibly flawed.

Political? Not in the least. I was trying to rib the guy by comparing the Yankees to the Nazis (you know, the epitome of evil). It was a failed attempt at humor. Given some of the absolutely tasteless things that get passed over on this board, I am frankly surprised as hell that this caused anyone any grief at all.

Plus, I apologized for offending him - what more do you want?

• Members
Political? Not in the least. I was trying to rib the guy by comparing the Yankees to the Nazis (you know, the epitome of evil). It was a failed attempt at humor.

Sorry - internet sarcasm gets lost on me from time to time, too.

And I agree that Steinbrenner may be the anti-Christ. :D But Theo Epstein kind seems like the anti-Christ's little brother.

• Members

Sorry - internet sarcasm gets lost on me from time to time, too.

No worries. You're a fellow Saint Paulie, so I know you only had the best of intentions. And anytime one brings up the Nazis, there is an inherent risk.

And I agree that Steinbrenner may be the anti-Christ.

It sounds like a lot of Yankees fans are coming to feel the same way.

But Theo Epstein kind seems like the anti-Christ's little brother.

Yeah. I am a Red Sox fan, but I have to admit to having hugely mixed feelings about them these days. I guess I can't be too mad, because they finally won it. But I don't like feeling like they're just the Yankees mk. II - The whole becoming what you despise thing.

I do like following the Twins, though. My only mixed feelings there are when they play the Sox.

• Members

I do like following the Twins, though. My only mixed feelings there are when they play the Sox.

....and when they play like they have the past 2 games. Seriously - their bats go cold against young lefties.

But Silva looked great until the 5th inning. :thu:

• Members
....and when they play like they have the past 2 games. Seriously - their bats go cold against young lefties.

But Silva looked great until the 5th inning.
:thu:

It's early yet. They'll hit their stride as the season progresses. They've still got the defending MVP, Cy Young winner, and Batting champ on the team. They'll be playing in October.

• Members
It's early yet. They'll hit their stride as the season progresses. They've still got the defending MVP, Cy Young winner, and Batting champ on the team. They'll be playing in October.

No doubt. Their bullpen looked sharp last night, and Ponson will either straighten up or be sent down, along with Boof.

No worries here - it'll be a good year to be a Twins fan. :thu:

• Members
No doubt. Their bullpen looked sharp last night, and Ponson will either straighten up or be sent down, along with Boof.

No worries here - it'll be a good year to be a Twins fan.

I just hope they can maintain the core until 2010. I would LOVE to see Santana go for 20 outdoors.

Which part of Saint Paul do you call home?

• Members
I just hope they can maintain the core until 2010. I would LOVE to see Santana go for 20 outdoors.

Which part of Saint Paul do you call home?

I just moved back to Pauly town from Burnsville. I'm up in Dayton's Bluff (Da East Side). I lived by O'Garas for 3 years when I was in college, though, and before that, was in the dorms at St. Thomas. All in all, I've been in St. Paul for 6 years now. I love it. :thu:

And Santana is only going to get better as he figures more hitters out. Plus he has said that he wants to retire in a Twins uniform. I'd say we're OK on the pitching front as long as he and Liriano can stay healthy. Two of the nastiest leftys in the AL on the same team. :eek:

• Members
I just moved back to Pauly town from Burnsville. I'm up in Dayton's Bluff (Da East Side). I lived by O'Garas for 3 years when I was in college, though, and before that, was in the dorms at St. Thomas. All in all, I've been in St. Paul for 6 years now. I love it.

And Santana is only going to get better as he figures more hitters out. Plus he has said that he wants to retire in a Twins uniform. I'd say we're OK on the pitching front as long as he and Liriano can stay healthy. Two of the nastiest leftys in the AL on the same team.
:eek:

Don't ever trust any ball player about how they want to stay with one team. Money always determines where they wind up. When the time comes for Santana to sign a new contract he'll go for the money and if the Twins can't match it, he will leave.

• Members
I just moved back to Pauly town from Burnsville. I'm up in Dayton's Bluff (Da East Side). I lived by O'Garas for 3 years when I was in college, though, and before that, was in the dorms at St. Thomas. All in all, I've been in St. Paul for 6 years now. I love it.

Oh! You're a Tommie! I'm a Fightin' Scot, myself. I lived just down the street from O'Garas for a couple years as well. Now I'm in Yuppieville - I mean, Cathedral Hill. I've been in Saint Paul since 1993 now, with the exception of 2001-2003, when I followed my Wife to Arizona while she got her M.S. in Geology. I imagine we'll stay until it's time to retire (unless she gets a good job in Vancouver).

And Santana is only going to get better as he figures more hitters out. Plus he has said that he wants to retire in a Twins uniform. I'd say we're OK on the pitching front as long as he and Liriano can stay healthy. Two of the nastiest leftys in the AL on the same team.
:eek:

I hope Johann means that. Side note - have you seen the add where he and Nathan are driving around? Pretty funny stuff. My wife so did not get it.

• Members

I hope Johann means that. Side note - have you seen the add where he and Nathan are driving around? Pretty funny stuff. My wife so did not get it.

That's a great ad. I like that the Twins always seem to enjoy playing the game, which is refreshing to see in the era of Barry Bonds and Gary Sheffield being assholes.

• Members

Oh! You're a
Tommie
! Side note - have you seen the add where he and Nathan are driving around? Pretty funny stuff. My wife so did not get it.

Out of curiousity, what is the public opinion on Nathan in MN? I played w/ him in HS and for my freshman yr in college at Stony Brook. He was two years ahead of me. He lived about 4 houses away when we were kids. He was always an ass to everyone.

• Members

Yuppieville. Very nice. Probably a better neighborhood than I'm in. Unfortunately, I've got a place with a KILLER view of downtown St. Paul, and I feel like I'm stepping into the ghetto when I walk outside.

Yeah, there are some great views over there, but it does seem like as soon as you go more than a block from the river, it suddenly gets very ... downscale. Of course, my neighborhood was like than less than 10 years ago. Are there any signs of reinvigoration in the neighborhood?

If it was a nicer neighborhood, I'd buy the place that I'm renting right now in a heartbeat.

Replace "nicer" with "affordable by normal people", and I would say the same exact thing about my neighborhood.

That's a great ad. I like that the Twins always seem to enjoy playing the game, which is refreshing to see in the era of Barry Bonds and Gary Sheffield being assholes.

No doubt. The whole series is awesome. I've got my Joe Mauer Sideburns on as I type.

• Members

Out of curiousity, what is the public opinion on Nathan in MN? I played w/ him in HS and for my freshman yr in college at Stony Brook. He was two years ahead of me. He lived about 4 houses away when we were kids. He was always an ass to everyone.

I haven't heard from anyone who has actually met him. He's definitely well liked in his role as a closer, though.

Archived