Yanks Sox

JBecker

• Members

yes, but then you have guys like Pujols who can lunge a ball any direction whether a knuckle, a curve, slider, or fastball. A good sinker will get him out if he's behind in the count.

what always gets me is a 1-2 count... why do so many pitchers always throw a pitch a foot off the plate :freak: if its a guessing game, throw something else closer for a strike like Maddux used to do !

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
what always gets me is a 1-2 count... why do so many pitchers always throw a pitch a foot off the plate
:freak:
if its a guessing game, throw something else closer for a strike like Maddux used to do !

Maddux was a damned artist in his prime - he was extremely gifted in his ability to put a baseball wherever he wanted to.

• Members

Him and Schmolz silenced the big bats of the Tribe :cry: which most thought couldn't happen after Indians shellacked Randy Johnson in AM League Champ.

that was our last year to win since the young players contracts we knew would be lost to free agency. surprisingly, some stayed on, but NL pitching beat them again in 97'. after that Indians dismantled

Twins look pretty good this year if they can hold down the Tigers

• Members

as a sox fan i have to admit that a-rod is unbelievable right now. the only series that matters is usually that last one before the playoffs start.... we had such a shot last year and one 5 game series blew it for us.

A rod will choke when it really counts. That hasn't changed so don't worry. he's not an Ortiz or Ramirez

• Members
Twins look pretty good this year if they can hold down the Tigers

:crosses fingers: :D

It's good to see that they aren't starting themselves out in a hole like they did last year. They need to stop going fishing for hits when they hit against lefties, though. They've looked like {censored} the past 2 days at the plate against 2 under-whelming lefties.

• Members
Pitching puts alot of stress on the arm, you just hate to see ANY picture get hurt/injured - but i also think that teams have become TO protective with pitch counts etc - guys from 20+ yrs ago pitched 250-300 innings yr in and yr out, today most guys dont do 200 innings and the injuries seem to have gone up! Makes u wonder
:confused:

Steinbrenner? - I think hes earned alot more respect as time passes on, while he was a "meddling idiot" who was involved 2 much in his younger days (the Yankee farm system BLOSSOMED when he was suspended in early 1990's) but he has backed off recently and let the baseball people make the decisions. 1 last thing --- Steinbrenner wants to win you have to give him credit for that, there are MANY owners in other sports who rather just take the $$ and pocket it and run - he reinvests alot of his $$ on the product on the field. There are other owners in baseball and other sports who are wealthier/have more $$ than Steinbrenner but dont care about winning, at least George does..

:thu:

Steinbrenner is a rich, arrogant, tyrannical, {censored}wad. He is ruining baseball with his wallet. Salaries are where they are almost single handedly because of his willingness to buy championships. And that's what he does, he buys them. If you look at where they were in salaries in all 26 years they won it you will find they were at or near the top. Of course you can't blame him for the years he didn't own the team, but that's been the Yank-me tactic for as long as they've been in the league. Biggest market, biggest wallet, biggest willingness to spend, spend, spend like no other team has the ability to match.

It dosn't always result in championships, but it sure stacks the deck in their favor and it absolutely drives up salaries across the board. They set the standard and they keep inflating that standard as other teams struggle to compete. The result is $50 average for a ticket, $30 for parking, $6 for a hotdog, $5 for a soda, etc., etc. It is making the game a game for the rich, not for families like it used to. I brought my wife and kids to one game last year. We didn't even pay for the tickets, they were given to us. We still spent nearly $200 on parking, food, drinks, and a couple of lousy hats. If we had to pay for the tickets too it wiould have cost me nearly $400. For one {censored}ing game? Thanx George.

I will agree that he's taking a lower profile these days. Mostly because his health is failing. But the damage is done and is not likely to be reversed so long as he's not dead. Baseball needs a salary cap to level the playing field and Georgie porgie must DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AHHH, just kidding, I don't want him dead, just want him to stop standing in the way of a salary cap and play fair. Go Sox! Yankee's suck.
:p;)

• Members
^^^

Skid, you realize that Theo Epstein has gotten into an arms race with Steinbrenner in the past few years, right? I mean, they paid $100M for Dice-K.

Pot, meet kettle.
:D

that's the whole point, dude. What else are the Sox supposed to do? They have to play the gazzillionaires 19 times a year. All the Sox are doing is trying to keep up with the Joneses. That was my whole point. Georgie has ruined the sport with this nonsense. He whips out his wallet, other teams are forced to do the same. Especially teams that are in the same division. The man is simply obsessed with winning and will pay anything to buy championships. The fans are left to pay the price. Or simply stay home and watch on TV while rich {censored}s get to sit in the stands. All you really need for proof is to listen to him when the issue of a salary cap comes up. He throws a tantrum if anyone even suggests it. The guy doesn't give a {censored} about the fans or the game, he only cares about himself. That's why I laugh when they pay all that money and lose. Serves him right and you know it drives him nuts. Nothing better than seing old Georgie blowing a gasket in his luxury box while Cashman cowers in the background. Makes life worth living. {censored} him. Baseball will be better off without him. Hopefully sooner than later.;)

• Members

Baseball will be better off without him.

Agreed 100%. Don't forget that the agents have a part in that equation, too, though.

I don't know how I feel about a salary cap in baseball, because it also very well could cause a lot of guys to move around the league due to their large contracts, but parity would be nice. Don't forget that the big-buck Yanks have been beaten in the playoffs by small-market teams such as Anaheim and Detroit, and the A's were perennial contenders despite being a low-budget team.

• Members

How much more in Ad's and marketshare do you think the BOSOX receive compared to the TWINS??

No idea. I think that the Twins have a chance to move up in markets with the new ballfield and the celebrity of Mauer/Morneau/Santana, but it's still simply a smaller market than the east coast.

• Members

yes, it's easy to thwart the players and last ditch season turning trades when you have an incredible market share and $$$. Yanks had a rough go for a while last season but can pretty much remain in contention no matter injuries. its a stigma of we have to win and it often works for them. other teams have to pull teeth to make things happen and one slouch or bad streak can kill those teams.

• Members

Pot - Kettle - black meet up and say hello? :D

Actually Steinbrenner was not the only 1, he was a big part of it but there are others who have grossly overpaid as well..

The Yanks have tried to reverse their overspending ways (by trading Sheffield, Randy Johnson, and getting pitching prospects in return) They havent made a big signing in a while (I guess Damon at 11 million a yr is big + Pettie whos a Ex Yan was basically a 1 yr deal) but the emphasis has been put back on the farm system and with young guys like Cano, Proctor, Wang, Melky, Phillip Hughes (making debut this week) and the pickup of Brian Buny (A great CHEAP aquisition by Yanks) they are at least making a "legit effort" to curtail the crazy spending and build within.

I wish prices were lower also but thats how it is these days, like i said Geroge has mellowed a lil bit (hes older now and some suspect not in the greatest health) and leaves it up to the baseball guys..

Some owners should look in the mirror (pocketing revenue sharing $$) and be embarressed for their product and not even caring about the team/fans..

PS - BTW Yanks cut payroll this year!!

:idea:

• Members
Pot - Kettle - black meet up and say hello?

PS - BTW Yanks cut payroll this year!!

George is getting ready for retirement, he needs the cash. He paid more in luxury taxes last year than some teams paid in entire salaries. That's kinda pathetic, don't you think? You can defend him all you want. The fact that he keeps using his clout to block any attempt to institute a salary cap and REAL change is all the story that is needed to be told.

• Members

Also, it is worth noting that while the best paid player in baseball is with the Yanks now, he wasn't given that contract by the Yanks...

another example of what a {censored}wad George is. I called that all the way. The Sox had him all signed, sealed, and delivered. Then out of nowhere the players union says, "nope, you can't go play for the Red Sox"? Here's a guy who was happy with the offer, the team he was leaving was fine with it, the Commissioner was fine with it, yet the union says no? Please. When it happened I said to my wife, "you watch, he will end up in a Yankee's uniform, guaranteed". And so he did. Perhaps a call in the wee hours of the night to Upshaw to pay back a few favors? You think? That whole thing stunk like Georges finger after an errant wiping. But hey, they can have him. We won without him before, we'll do it again.

• Members
George is getting ready for retirement, he needs the cash. He paid more in luxury taxes last year than some teams paid in entire salaries. That's kinda pathetic, don't you think? You can defend him all you want. The fact that he keeps using his clout to block any attempt to institute a salary cap and REAL change is all the story that is needed to be told.

Why im kinda surprised at you? Being the free market/capitalistic guy that you are (seen you in some political debates) that you advocate this. :o

Listen - George plays by the rules, he didnt make the rules and do u have any proof he stops salary cap? Its the players association, the STRONGEST in sports) George himself cant stop a damn thing, hes 1 of 30-32 owners he has the same vote as everyone else, so u tune might be off a lil..

That luxury tax paid to other teams? - What r they doing with that $$ investing it in the team product or keeping it and putting it in their pocket?

• Members
Why im kinda surprised at you? Being the free market/capitalistic guy that you are (seen you in some political debates) that you advocate this.
:o

Listen - George plays by the rules, he didnt make the rules and do u have any proof he stops salary cap? Its the players association, the STRONGEST in sports) George himself cant stop a damn thing, hes 1 of 30-32 owners he has the same vote as everyone else, so u tune might be off a lil..

That luxury tax paid to other teams? - What r they doing with that $$ investing it in the team product or keeping it and putting it in their pocket?

baseball is different. It's a league of teams all trying to compete fairly in grossly different markets, not the same as companies competing in a free market that includes the entire country and indeed the world. The Yank-me's have the benefit of being in the largest city in the country. How are teams like the Twins supposed to compete with that? The simple fact that it is a LEAGUE implies a measure of cooperation for the good of the league. Having one team dominating for no other reason than the fact they play in the biggest market and can pay pretty much whatever they want to the players is not in the leagues best interest. They aren't competeing in a fair market, they are setting the market almost singlehandedly, and that is bad for the game and the fans. And it is common knowledge that Georgie is the ring leader when it comes to rallying the troops against any attempt to institute a salary cap. He has a lot of connections and a lot of power and he uses it. Selfishly, IMO. Now about your avatar, who dat? I'd let her fart in my mouth just to see where it came from.:D

• Members
baseball is different. It's a league of teams all trying to compete fairly in grossly different markets, not the same as companies competing in a free market that includes the entire country and indeed the world. The Yank-me's have the benefit of being in the largest city in the country. How are teams like the Twins supposed to compete with that? The simple fact that it is a LEAGUE implies a measure of cooperation for the good of the league. Having one team dominating for no other reason than the fact they play in the biggest market and can pay pretty much whatever they want to the players is not in the leagues best interest. They aren't competeing in a fair market, they are setting the market almost singlehandedly, and that is bad for the game and the fans. And it is common knowledge that Georgie is the ring leader when it comes to rallying the troops against any attempt to institute a salary cap. He has a lot of connections and a lot of power and he uses it. Selfishly, IMO. Now about your avatar, who dat? I'd let her fart in my mouth just to see where it came from.

I dont even have to read past the first two sentences to know that you're missing out. Read Gun, Germs, and Steel and realize the West is dominant entirely due to it's location and what that led to politically and the sources of power that their geography gave them. Does that mean that the West is being unfair by not competing cooperatively on an even playing field with the East because they happened to be located where grain growth allowed for greater populations, the terrain caused greater factions and more fighting amongst themselves, and that spices were far from them so they had to construct transport to bring them there?

• Members

another example of what a {censored}wad George is. I called that all the way. The Sox had him all signed, sealed, and delivered. Then out of nowhere the players union says, "nope, you can't go play for the Red Sox"? Here's a guy who was happy with the offer, the team he was leaving was fine with it, the Commissioner was fine with it, yet the union says no? Please. When it happened I said to my wife, "you watch, he will end up in a Yankee's uniform, guaranteed". And so he did. Perhaps a call in the wee hours of the night to Upshaw to pay back a few favors? You think? That whole thing stunk like Georges finger after an errant wiping. But hey, they can have him. We won without him before, we'll do it again.

This is pretty ridiculous. If Boston had just ponied up the extra cash for him the deal would have gone through. The union stopped the deal because of the presidence it would set by allowing a player to reduce the amount of money they were owed. It had nothing to do with the Yankees. They weren't even in the picture and at the time were happy going into the season w/ Aaron Boone. After he got hurt they went to Texas to swing a deal for Mike Lamb. They were told that Arod would consider a move to 3rd base - the position they needed to fill. That is how it went down.

Steinbrenner is good for the sport. His main goal is to win. He doesn't break any rules in doing so. He is dishing out $900 million for a new stadium and he also puts a lot of money back into the community. Other teams wish they had an owner like him. I relate him to Mark Cuban - the owner of the NBA's Dallas Mavaricks.

• Members

As much as I may hate him, I respect that Steinbrenner wants to win. He's also figured out all kinds of ways to bring in ca$h. In that respect, he is good for baseball. Granted, I think I saw something once that said that NYC could support 3-4 MLB baseball teams just based on its size with them each being big market teams. It's no coincidence that the Mets and Yanks are the two most valuable franchises. That being said, the Angels are by no means small market - they play in the OC - one of the wealthiest highly populated counties in the country.

Boston is trying to keep pace with the Yankees, and a lot of that is because of the fandom. Listen to Boston talk radio - the whiners think the team should go 154-8 every year. Last year, when they were competitive until August and injuries hit, they were getting shredded in the media/offseason. Manny gets ripped on like there's no tomorrow - look at his stats - he PRODUCES ~200 runs per year (runs + RBI's - HRs). I get frustrated too at him when he lollygags, but I'm not about to say that he is part of the problem with the team...

Archived