OT: Anybody here a Chemistry or Phyiscs major or have an occupation in science?

EpiPaul03

• Members

Just wondering if some of you fellas could give me some advice on this matter. I know, it's pretty random, but it's the end of my junior year and I should probably start to think of this kind of stuff. Plus, I'm getting pretty excited about the whole thing!

:D

Anyways, here goes:

I'm currently interested in pursuing either a degree in Chemistry, or a degree in physics, or perhaps some sort of combined degree. I'm really, really having trouble figuring out which I want to focus on more, though. I am very interested in theoretical physics, astrophysics, acousticphysics (mainly because I'm a musician), but the problem is is that I'm not sure how the whole job situation will work out. I know that they say if you love what you're doing to do it, but I have to make a decent living and I would hate to go as far as a PHD and not be able to find work.

So this is when I decided to look at getting a chemistry degree since I'm equally interested in it. I'm not as familiar in these fields as I am in phyiscs, though, so this is especially where I'm looking for some advice. I know there are a lot more jobs in chemistry and a degree in chemistry can open A LOT of doors, or rather keep a lot of doors open.

Basically, I'll probably end up going for a PH.D in either case. Money really isn't a factor, as long as I can make a decent living off of it.

Another thing I'm not sure about is schooling, and this is something that needs solved considering I'm going to be applying this fall. I live in Ohio and have already checked out Ohio State University and Ohio Uniiversity. I loved both schools, but I'm wondering if other schools may offer some better education. I'd really like to go where some of my friends are going, but if there's a HUGE difference in educational offering, I may just have to go on my own. I also plan on checking out MIT just for the hell of it -- you never know.

So any feedback, comments, or whatever would be cool. I think I remember seeing some on this forum with degrees so hopefully you dudes won't mind helping me out, thanks in advance

BTW: Since I have such a strong reputation of this forum, I'd like to say that I swear I'm not much of a nerd, this stuff just really interests me and I've always had ease with it. Ok, that being said...

-JJ

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

first, if you plan on pursuing a PhD, you won't have any time for friends anyway.

now, as for which path to follow, have you taken Pchem 1 and 2 yet? 1 is thermodynamics and 2 is quantum mechanics. the reason i mention this is that physical chemists are more physics than chemistry. basically, as you should know by now, there is no such thing as a general PhD in chemistry...it's a very specific portion of chemistry that you will study.

the job market for chemists is great, from the bachelors level on up. physicists, not so much. you do want to be careful about getting too much education (strange phrase, no?). what happens is that you become highly specialized, and that specialization reduces job options instead of broadening them.

if your primary interest is being able to make a living, analytical chemistry is the way to go. however, if you are particularly passionate about a certain science, and intend to pursue a PhD, there's always academia. if you do a couple post docs after your PhD, you should be able to get a decent job teaching somewhere.

i would also like to point out that whatever career choice you make, you should think about the impact of the baby boomers. our job market, and maybe even educational structure will change drastically once they are all retired/dead. we may see a return to a period where college education is not mandatory for employment like it is now. just some food for thought.

at the end of it all, think about this...after you get your bachelor's degree, you will have at least 6 years worth of PhD program, and that's if you are diligent, focused, and good at what you're doing. that's a lot of time doing something that you don't love.

• Members

I am a Molecular Biology grad student, working my way to a PhD. Not chemistry, but close.

I would imagine that you are right that there are plenty of jobs in chemistry, but also lots of industry jobs for physicists (photonics, nano-tech, etc).

The school you do undergrad in is much less important (career-wise) than the school you get your PhD at.

• Members

You won't have a problem getting a job. You might not make a ton of money, but you won't have a problem making a decent living. Like others have said, there's always academia and you can choose a field of research and do the grant thing while teaching.

It's a lot of hard work and a lot of school, so pick something you love doing.

-W

• Members

I got a degree in chemistry and minored in physics, so I was just like you. I went to grad school for physical chemistry, and now I'm a postdoc in a physics department. The reason I went this route is that I want a job in academics, and don't want a boss. If you're more interested in making money, definitely go to chemistry. You can do well with a masters also. If you're interested in physics also, there are plenty of jobs in materials chemistry and optics that uses that kind of knowledge. It really depends on how ambitious you are. You may want to go into the "hotter" fields such as nanotechnology and biophysics, as I did if you want a job in academics. The job market for professors still really sucks, and actually this is stressing me out a bit. My friends who went to industry are doing well and are making a {censored}load of money.

As far as schools go, Just apply to as many schools that interest you as possible. For grad school it's all about which professor you work with, and less so about the prestige of the school. You can ask me about some programs in specific schools if you want. MIT is great for chemistry and physics, but has a reputation of being pretty brutal. THe key is you have to enjoy your research.

Good Luck!

• Members

I'm a PhD in chemistry - or as we say here a Dr. First degree is a diploma (after 5 years), promotion (to get a Dr.) takes 3-5 years (payed normally here in germany).

My diploma is in inorganic and analytical chemistry (I've built some nice metalorganic clusters from rhenium and gold with PH3 as "glue" and after deprotonation an "expansion" tool. PhD the same.

Since I did that more than a decade ago, where natural scientists in europe could be found plenty, I had a hard time to find a job (not that I was "bad" in any way, Dr. was "magna cum laude"). So I had to join the pharmaceutical industry in the scientific/marketing and sales area. Now, after so many years, I'd say its a good job (income, lots of different things to do) - although it has rarely something to do with chemistry.

In Germany, the range of degrees are: rite ("duly" conferred, that is, the requirements are fulfilled), cum laude (with honors), magna cum laude (with great honors), summa cum laude (with highest honors).

My wife, who is also a Dr. in organic chemistry joined the free market a lot later, was lucky and got a job in the research. Now she holds a couple of patents, got good money for them when her company was sold to a big player and even gets royalties every now and then now . . .

Now, after the birth of our 2nd child she had to stop her research job though - she's becoming a kind of professor for future (not sure how to call that) lower-graduated chemists. Not bad at all too.

Yes, its true, with a good degree in chemistry (or natural science in general) you are open to a lot of things. Going thru a PhD teaches you to get deep into whatever and how to find approaches to problems very pragmatical.

• Members

I start my PHD in inorganic chemistry early next year:)... at the moment I work in research:)

Its good to have a plan early on, but I can tell you now, most people change their majors first or second year, so your plans from right now are likely to be completely different after youre there for a while :)

• Members

I'm currently pursuing a Chem degree at Brown. PM me or IM me (AIM modestmelody) and let's talk.

FWIW, if you're in Ohio and not checking out Case Western for science you're missing out. Sure hte place is a little geeky, but is a great science education and they give a TON of merit aid. Gobs of it.

Brown offers a Chemical Physics degree, as well as a Chemistry degree with a focus materials. I'm currently more invested in the organic side of things but I'm beginning to be enticed by inorganic.

• Members

I think the best advice has been given/

Do Chemistry and not Physics if you want a good job that's not research/academia oriented.

BSc. Physics...currently working in IT repair related Business Development....I parleyed (bul{censored}ted) my computer hobby into a tech career..the degree just helped me get higher pay.

A Physics qualification proves you are smart and can apply yourself academically but not much use in the real world IMO.

• Members

Grad Student in Chemistry here (Inorganic, solid state materials closely related to solid state physics, Cornell University Frank DiSalvo's group although our group webpage hasn`t been updated since 2003 :lol: ). Feel free to PM me or email (jr372 AT cornell dot edu) with any specific questions.

As a general: The undergrads you have looked at are both fine, and it will really be more dependant how you preform where you go than the school you are necessarily coming from. I cam from a very small liberal arts school (~2500 undergrads, no grads) and got into every grad program I applied to (MIT, Cornell, Harvard, Cal Tech, Northwestern, OSU, U. Texas, Mich, and U. Illin. applied to a number as my wife was also applying for Psych). After teaching here at the Ivy level (both Freshman and Senior level classes, gen chem and advanced Inorg.) I am quite confident in saying you will get a very similar level of education most places (that is, between OSU, U. Ohio, Oberland (sp.), or even most Ivys, maybe not the same for Community college). I would suggest going to some place that will offer you a bit more than say Case Western, as you will probably want more opprotunities to take interesting classes outside of the core sciences. I have a friend that was a grad student over at Case and absolutely hated it, but YMMV obviously.

As an undergrad I would also suggest taking advantage of REU programs and other undergrad research opprotunities to get an idea of what you like. Hope this helps!

-Jesse

• Members

its refreshing to see some schooled individuals out there

i have a b.s. in chemistry and then went to med school

my suggestion is to find a balance between what you like and making the kind of living you want... i've played in many bands with people that have been lots of places, but now live check to check, and are generally miserable

and life while a student in higher education is what you make of it...and it can be lot of fun, where you are not missing out "life"

good luck

• Members

Grad Student in Chemistry here (Inorganic, solid state materials closely related to solid state physics, Cornell University Frank DiSalvo's group although our group webpage hasn`t been updated since 2003
:lol:
). Feel free to PM me or email (jr372 AT cornell dot edu) with any specific questions.

As a general: The undergrads you have looked at are both fine, and it will really be more dependant how you preform where you go than the school you are necessarily coming from. I cam from a very small liberal arts school (~2500 undergrads, no grads) and got into every grad program I applied to (MIT, Cornell, Harvard, Cal Tech, Northwestern, OSU, U. Texas, Mich, and U. Illin. applied to a number as my wife was also applying for Psych). After teaching here at the Ivy level (both Freshman and Senior level classes, gen chem and advanced Inorg.) I am quite confident in saying you will get a very similar level of education most places (that is, between OSU, U. Ohio, Oberland (sp.), or even most Ivys, maybe not the same for Community college). I would suggest going to some place that will offer you a bit more than say Case Western, as you will probably want more opprotunities to take interesting classes outside of the core sciences. I have a friend that was a grad student over at Case and absolutely hated it, but YMMV obviously.

As an undergrad I would also suggest taking advantage of REU programs and other undergrad research opprotunities to get an idea of what you like. Hope this helps!

-Jesse

Man, one of these days I'm going to figure out if I like inorganic or organic type stuff more. I have a couple of friends at undergrad for Case who love it, but it's definitely more homogenous than say, Brown, and most other schools, and is, at it's heart, still a tech school. But, if you're really sure you want to do science it's one of the best cost:quality science education in the country.

• Members

Man, one of these days I'm going to figure out if I like inorganic or organic type stuff more. I have a couple of friends at undergrad for Case who love it, but it's definitely more homogenous than say, Brown, and most other schools, and is, at it's heart, still a tech school. But, if you're really sure you want to do science it's one of the best cost:quality science education in the country.

Do both, go Organometallics! :D Case is a fine school, but it is a tech school. I enjoyed science (obviously) but also really enjoyed being able to take a number of history classes among other things (heh, I even took a year of traditional upright bass as I was at a damn good music school...still can`t play that worth a {censored} though!). I am also only three classes away from a B.S. in Greek and Roman archaeology, but stopped pursuing that upon the realization that in order to get into the grad program I wanted I would need to be able to have a speaking and/or high reading comprehension of Latin, ancient greek, Spanish, French, and German. Foreign Languages...definately not my forte!

• Members

Do both, go Organometallics!
:D
Case is a fine school, but it is a tech school. I enjoyed science (obviously) but also really enjoyed being able to take a number of history classes among other things (heh, I even took a year of traditional upright bass as I was at a damn good music school...still can`t play that worth a {censored} though!). I am also only three classes away from a B.S. in Greek and Roman archaeology, but stopped pursuing that upon the realization that in order to get into the grad program I wanted I would need to be able to have a speaking and/or high reading comprehension of Latin, ancient greek, Spanish, French, and German. Foreign Languages...definately not my forte!

I hear yah. Case would have cost half of what Brown is costing me, but I'm like you and that's why I'm here...

Actually, we just covered organometallics in both my inorganic and organic course and finally understanding how a lot of that chemistry works is really interesting...

I won't be using any organometallics this summer in the lab I'm doing research, but I'm considering looking for that before I leave Brown as a happy medium. I do have to say, memorizing crystal structure names is not my idea of a good time, but thinking about orbital symmetries and how that affects bonding and MO stuff along with Crystal Field Theory and Ligand Field Theory stuff is pretty damn cool.

• Members

I hear yah. Case would have cost half of what Brown is costing me, but I'm like you and that's why I'm here...

Actually, we just covered organometallics in both my inorganic and organic course and finally understanding how a lot of that chemistry works is really interesting...

I won't be using any organometallics this summer in the lab I'm doing research, but I'm considering looking for that before I leave Brown as a happy medium. I do have to say, memorizing crystal structure names is not my idea of a good time, but thinking about orbital symmetries and how that affects bonding and MO stuff along with Crystal Field Theory and Ligand Field Theory stuff is pretty damn cool.

I haven`t really spent any time memorizing any crystal names or anything...You become familiar with structures and motifs and use them when need be. I really enjoyed MO theory and thankfully I get to use a fair amount of it in the rationalization of my work (I work in solid state but am focusing on luminescence at the moemnt, so there is a lot of focus on local coordination of trace dopants within an overall latice...MO/localized effects playing within a larger band structure). If you are interested in Organometallics I can give you a whole host of names to look into (from straight up organometallics to polymer catalysis via organometallics(i.e., Bob Grubbs, Geoff Coates))

-Jesse

• Members

I have a B.A. in chemistry from Ohio U. I really liked the small town atmosphere of the campus as opposed to OSU. Both good schools. I've been working in an indusrtial lab doing quality control and wastewater treatment for the last five years.

• Members

Yes, I have a few degrees in science. Since finishing my Ph.D, I have worked the last 26 years in academic science. I think that you are overlooking the fact that degrees in science can prepare you for just about anything. Universities aren't designed as vocational schools, and the most important thing you learn in college is how to learn. If you are smart enough to learn what you need to complete a bachelors degree in one of the sciences, you are smart enough to learn whatever you need in just about any job in the world. [For instance: Do you think we'd be in as big a mess as we are in Iraq - if we had science majors running the country????]

Study what you want as an undergraduate, the time to get specialized career training is later.

• Members

Study what you want as an undergraduate, the time to get specialized career training is later.

Nice post, I agree. there's too much emphasis on preparing you for getting a job nowadays. it should be teaching you how to learn yourself. :thu:

Archived