just got pulled over for speeding yet again

JoshuaLogan

• Members
There were statistics posted not to long ago on accidents on the Autobahn vs US Highways....the Autobahn was safer despite the ridiculous speeds.

Yes but they are better than Americans......................

oh no I didn't! j/k :D
Cheers, Lucius

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There were statistics posted not to long ago on accidents on the Autobahn vs US Highways....the Autobahn was safer despite the ridiculous speeds.

You know why?

Better more competent drivers.

If you don't feel safe or are incompetent then that's fine...please stay in the right lane.

it's not as simple as the drivers. their cars are much more highly regulated - you won't see a dented up old clunker dragging its muffler down the autobahn with duct tape and plastic tarp covering where a window used to be. you can't drive damaged cars there.

also, there is nobody in germany under the age of 18 driving.

also, their seatbelt use is something like 95%, compared to 50-60% in the US.

also, there are far fewer drunks on the roads there.

also, there's a hell of a lot less traffic. the likelihood of being hurt in an accident on the autobahn is less than on the US freeways because you're just less likely to be in an accident in the first place. but, if you ARE in an accident on the autobahn, chances of it being fatal are actually higher. and, accidents on the autobahn are much more often speed-related than here (for obvious reasons). fatality rates are generally figured per miles travelled, not per number of accidents.

so yeah, they do generally know how to drive better, and their cars are better too... and speed is still dangerous there.

• Members

it's not as simple as the drivers. their cars are much more highly regulated - you won't see a dented up old clunker dragging its muffler down the autobahn with duct tape and plastic tarp covering where a window used to be. you can't drive damaged cars there.

also, there is nobody in germany under the age of 18 driving.

also, their seatbelt use is something like 95%, compared to 50-60% in the US.

also, there are far fewer drunks on the roads there.

also, there's a hell of a lot less traffic. the likelihood of being hurt in an accident on the autobahn is less than on the US freeways because you're just less likely to be in an accident in the first place. but, if you ARE in an accident on the autobahn, chances of it being fatal are actually higher. and, accidents on the autobahn are much more often speed-related than here (for obvious reasons). fatality rates are generally figured per miles travelled, not per number of accidents.

so yeah, they do generally know how to drive better, and their cars are better too... and speed is
still
dangerous there.

I agree on those points, however, people driving slower around me does NOTHING to make the road safer IMO....they are less engaged as a result and usually cause accidents as a result of not being alert and not anticipating changes up ahead.

What needs to be studied is how accidents are *really* caused. If someone is not paying attention, is speeding, and gets into an accident, the cause of the accident is listed as "speeding" when this dip{censored} could have been going any speed and they still would have crashed.

I'm certainly not the worlds best driver nor will ever claim to be, however, how many people get liscenses astounds me.....I dont' care how slow they drive....they suck...yet we ticket and tag those who are equally if not more competent on the road effectively dumbing down the masses(look at VA drivers).

• Members

I agree on those points, however, people driving slower around me does NOTHING to make the road safer IMO....they are less engaged as a result and usually cause accidents as a result of not being alert and not anticipating changes up ahead.

What needs to be studied is how accidents are *really* caused. If someone is not paying attention, is speeding, and gets into an accident, the cause of the accident is listed as "speeding" when this dip{censored} could have been going any speed and they still would have crashed.

I'm certainly not the worlds best driver nor will ever claim to be, however, how many people get liscenses astounds me.....I dont' care how slow they drive....they suck...yet we ticket and tag those who are equally if not more competent on the road effectively dumbing down the masses(look at VA drivers).

you're right - you being a hazard by going faster than everyone else does nothing ot make the road safer. all those "people" you assume are idiots have to pay attention to some jackass in their rearview mirror going faster than they should be.

you admit you going faster than everyone around you creates a hazard, so should everyone speed up just so you can continue to go fast, or should you slow down a little like everyone else to eliminate that hazard?

• Members

you're right - you being a hazard by going faster than everyone else does nothing ot make the road safer. all those "people" you assume are idiots have to pay attention to some jackass in their rearview mirror going faster than they should be.

Because we all know that what the law says we "should be" doing is always just:)

And why would they have to look out for me....if they are following the law(as you say they should be) then they will most likely be in the right hand lane.

The issue is that these minor infractions such as lane discipline are RARELY enforced and in fact cause more accidents than speeding....however, it's much more glamorous for reports to say someone is speeding and blame that rather than some idiot who should have never been in the left hand lane. But it comes down to those aggressive drives and speeders.....it's just easier to blame them than face the root of the problem;)

• Members

you admit you going faster than everyone around you creates a hazard, so should everyone speed up just so you can continue to go fast, or should you slow down a little like everyone else to eliminate that hazard?

Now you're twisting words. I never said that nor implied it.

People can go as slow as they wish regardless of how safe I feel around clueless drivers...just use good judgement and stay in the right.

• Members

Because we all know that what the law says we "should be" doing is always just:)

And why would they have to look out for me....if they are following the law(as you say they should be) then they will most likely be in the right hand lane.

The issue is that these minor infractions such as lane discipline are RARELY enforced and in fact cause more accidents than speeding....however, it's much more glamorous for reports to say someone is speeding and blame that rather than some idiot who should have never been in the left hand lane. But it comes down to those aggressive drives and speeders.....it's just easier to blame them than face the root of the problem;)

you're missing the point. increased speed reduces your and your car's ability ot react to... anything. increased speed IS the root cause of many violations. no time to signal, no time to check mirrors thoroughly, not enough time to avoid something, inabilty to control a flat tire, etc. etc. etc. etc.

don't play the victim card - there are no facts to support it. you choose to create a hazard, you deserve blame for it.

• Members

You just answered your own question here. If I'm in the right lane doing the speed limit (which isn't uncommon), I still see people racing up behind me and cutting over too soon.

The fact of the matter is that the left lane is a PASSING lane, not a SPEEDING lane. If I'm going 55 in a 55 zone, and the person in front of me is going 45, I have every right to hop over into the left lane and pass them, and the asshole behind me that is trying to do 90 has every right to wait until I pass the person in the right lane. It's way too common here in Minneapolis for people to tailgate you if you are doing the speed limit, even if it is in the right lane, and they are not only risking their safety, but mine as well, and I don't appreciate that.

...and nowhere in the traffic laws does it state that going the speed limit in the left lane is illegal and makes you a bad person.

If you want to speed, by all means, have at it. But don't risk my safety and my vehicle while doing so, thank you very much.

• Members

You just answered your own question here. If I'm in the right lane doing the speed limit (which isn't uncommon), I still see people racing up behind me and cutting over too soon.

The fact of the matter is that the left lane is a PASSING lane, not a SPEEDING lane. If I'm going 55 in a 55 zone, and the person in front of me is going 45, I have every right to hop over into the left lane and pass them, and the asshole behind me that is trying to do 90 has every right to wait until I pass the person in the right lane. It's way too common here in Minneapolis for people to tailgate you if you are doing the speed limit, even if it is in the right lane, and they are not only risking their safety, but mine as well, and I don't appreciate that.

...and nowhere in the traffic laws does it state that going the speed limit in the left lane is illegal and makes you a bad person.

If you want to speed, by all means, have at it. But don't risk my safety and my vehicle while doing so, thank you very much.

bingo

• Members

you're missing the point. increased speed reduces your and your car's ability ot react to... anything. increased speed IS the root cause of many violations. no time to signal, no time to check mirrors thoroughly, not enough time to avoid something, inabilty to control a flat tire, etc. etc. etc. etc.

don't play the victim card - there are no facts to support it. you choose to create a hazard, you deserve blame for it.

Sorry potatoes...that's poor logic.

You can't be staring out into space, rear-end another car going 90, then blame speeding cause you didn't have enough time to react. Sorry.

Yes, having a tire blow-out going 90 is worse than going 55, however, why did the tire blow out to begin with? Are you doing proper maintenance on your car? Did you anticipate debris falling off that tractor-trailer in front of you?

Again, anticipation, awareness, and attentiveness are much better substitutes than simply driving slow. Going after the wrong people is always the case here in the US though....it's easier to blame someone speeding than the guy who wasn't paying attention....it's always someone else's fault:)

• Members

I definitely don't ride people's asses in the right hand lane nor people that are legitimately passing in the left....don't know where you got that idea from.

You're confusing speeding with other driver attributes.

• Members

People just need to learn how to merge onto a goddamn highway.

And there are many drivers that drive below the posted speed limit, and Id say thats probably more dangerous than the guy going 5 over..

I do agree with this - when in traffic, people need to get up to highway speed using the acceleration lane (wow - what a concept, huh?) and merge properly. This keeps everyone behind this person from having to hit their brakes to let the person in.

• Members

Sorry potatoes...that's poor logic.

You can't be staring out into space, rear-end another car going 90, then blame speeding cause you didn't have enough time to react. Sorry.

Yes, having a tire blow-out going 90 is worse than going 55, however, why did the tire blow out to begin with? Are you doing proper maintenance on your car? Did you anticipate debris falling off that tractor-trailer in front of you?

Again, anticipation, awareness, and attentiveness are much better substitutes than simply driving slow. Going after the wrong people is always the case here in the US though....it's easier to blame someone speeding than the guy who wasn't paying attention....it's always someone else's fault:)

way to be in denial. should people have to constantly watch their mirrors for someone going 35mph+ over the speed limit? don't you think that detracts from their ability to pay attention to... everything else? there's a reason there are flashing lights and sirens on cop cars - so people can know they're coming. i'm guessing your car lacks such features.

speed differential on the highway is dangerous. period. you choose to create a hazard.

• Members

And let me ask you guys this, what do you do on road trips? Most highways Ive driven on the flow of traffic is about 80 - 90mph. The posted speed limit is 70.

What do you do, drive slower than the flow of traffic, or speed up?

• Members

way to be in denial. should people have to constantly watch their mirrors for someone going 35mph+ over the speed limit? don't you think that detracts from their ability to pay attention to... everything else? there's a reason there are flashing lights and sirens on cop cars - so people can know they're coming. i'm guessing your car lacks such features.

speed differential on the highway is dangerous. period. you choose to create a hazard.

+1

I have no problem with people doing 5-10 over, but someone doing 90 in a 55, I've got a problem with, because they are going to kill themselves or someone else by driving that much faster, even if the flow of traffic is 65.

• Members

So you're changing your story?

So it's not speed that kills but the speed differential now?

If everyone is going either 20mph or 100mph that's fine? Seems to contradict your original argument.

I see....that's cool. Keep blaming everyone else but the clueless drivers:) You and the lawmakers will get along fine....and reap juicy profits:)

• Members

5-10 over doesn't bother me either, but if the flow of traffic is going slower than that, i'll go with the flow. if faster, i'll let 'em go by. unlike many people, i don't take it as an insult to my manhood if someone is going faster than me. i'll get where i'm going.

• Members
So you're changing your story?

So it's not speed that kills but the speed differential now?

If everyone is going either 20mph or 100mph that's fine? Seems to contradict your original argument.

I see....that's cool. Keep blaming everyone else but the clueless drivers:) You and the lawmakers will get along fine....and reap juicy profits:)

now you're really reaching. :rolleyes:

many would consider you a clueless driver.

• Members

5-10 over doesn't bother me either, but if the flow of traffic is going slower than that, i'll go with the flow. if faster, i'll let 'em go by. unlike many people, i don't take it as an insult to my manhood if someone is going faster than me. i'll get where i'm going.

...and you'll probably have lower car insurance and more money in your bank account, aslo.

Plus you won't need to come on HC and talk about getting a speeing ticket, leaving you more time to talk about piping hot farts.

• Members
now you're really reaching.
:rolleyes:

many would consider you a clueless driver.

That's kind of funny considering I've never been in any accidents nor caused any:)

But keep reaching....I'm sure you'll find another way to twist logic.

• Members
+1

I have no problem with people doing 5-10 over, but someone doing 90 in a 55, I've got a problem with, because they are going to kill themselves or someone else by driving that much faster, even if the flow of traffic is 65.

Who actually drives 90 into 55? Thats ridiculous. :eek:

• Members

That's kind of funny considering I've never been in any accidents nor caused any:)

But keep reaching....I'm sure you'll find another way to twist logic.

nah, just go on thinking you're smarter than everyone else. that's what the average person thinks anyway.

Archived