just got pulled over for speeding yet again

JoshuaLogan

• Members
...and you'll probably have lower car insurance and more money in your bank account, aslo.

Plus you won't need to come on HC and talk about getting a speeing ticket, leaving you more time to talk about piping hot farts.

my insurance is indeed dirt cheap... and i just ate a bean burrito :D

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

unlike many people, i don't take it as an insult to my manhood if someone is going faster than me.

You are a good man, then.

I drive a fair amount for my job, and one thing I've been noticing lately is that there are a bunch of people out there - left lane bandits who will go slow while you're behind them (say 65 in a 70), won't get over when it is safe to do so, and when you pass them on the right, will speed up to match you until you hit 85 or 90. If you were content to go 65, why couldn't you do it in the right lane? If you're okay with 90, why not when I was behind you wanting to go 80?

[/rant]

It's all a matter of consideration. If someone wants to go faster than you, let them (and let the cops deal with them). If someone wants to go slower, fine, but they should do so in the right lane.

• Members

nah, just go on thinking you're smarter than everyone else. that's what the average person thinks anyway.

And you're smarter than me because why? You can twist logic and pretend to ignore the REAL factors leading to accidents on the road? I can name 3 things I see all the time that are MUCH more dangerous than myself speeding 10 or even 20 miles over the limit....yet someone such as yourself would never be caught in the thread railing against those people...because they are the majority:)

You're siding with a common albeit incorrect opinion(IMO of course) so to bring who's "smarter" into this is just silly.

That's fine though, we're not going to change anybody's mind here in this thread and I certainly wasn't expecting to.

• Members

hey rog, i thought that if you have a radar detector in your car, the cops can detect it in there. so they will no if you have one without even seeing it. is this true or not? and also, someone told me they are "line of sight" so if it detects a cop, then the cop could have already gotten you for speeding.

i've been wondering those ?'s for a while now.

• Members

ranalli if you're a reasonably skilled driver, who can handle driving at higher speeds than most; you must understand that you're the exception and not the rule

i always look at it this way...think of the dumbest most incompetent drivers you know, and ask yourself if their should be higher speed limits for those people?

you might be alert and reactive all the time, but a lot of drivers aren't...and it's probably safer for most of us to keep those people moving as slowly as possible

• Members

hey rog, i thought that if you have a radar detector in your car, the cops can detect it in there. so they will no if you have one without even seeing it. is this true or not? and also, someone told me they are "line of sight" so if it detects a cop, then the cop could have already gotten you for speeding.

i've been wondering those ?'s for a while now.

Most of the better ones are harder for the police to detect.

They can protect you in several ways. If there's a lot of traffic around, it'll let you know the radar is there while the police are targeting someone else.

The better ones are sensitive enough that they can let you know the signal is there at a greater distance than is required for the police to track your speed.

They're especially useful at night in letting you know when you're being followed and tracked. There have been a lot of nights coming home from gigs where my detector's let me know I'm being followed.

Where you get burned is if they're using laser, or if they use "instant on", that is they don't turn it on until you're right next to them and don't get a chance to react.

My experience has been that 99% of the time a speed trap is just a cop sitting somewhere hard to see with his radar on all the time.

A detector can't and won't guarantee you won't get caught and the best defense is still not to speed, but for those times when you may have a lapse in concentration, you're moving with the flow that's going way over the limit, or you may think you have a deserted road to yourself and be tempted to push it a little, they can be a big help.

• Members

I agree on those points, however, people driving slower around me does NOTHING to make the road safer IMO....they are less engaged as a result and usually cause accidents as a result of not being alert and not anticipating changes up ahead.

What needs to be studied is how accidents are *really* caused. If someone is not paying attention, is speeding, and gets into an accident, the cause of the accident is listed as "speeding" when this dip{censored} could have been going any speed and they still would have crashed.

I'm certainly not the worlds best driver nor will ever claim to be, however, how many people get liscenses astounds me.....I dont' care how slow they drive....they suck...yet we ticket and tag those who are equally if not more competent on the road effectively dumbing down the masses(look at VA drivers).

man i couldnt agree with you more!

but just wondering, i didnt catch what u meant about VA drivers. i wouldnt take offense or anything, because i think it is too easy to get licensed here. i just got my license a month ago (i am 16) and i actually had waaaay more experience than required....but most people just lie about how many hours they drove and still get their license.

• Members

but just wondering, i didnt catch what u meant about VA drivers. i wouldnt take offense or anything, because i think it is too easy to get licensed here. i just got my license a month ago (i am 16) and i actually had waaaay more experience than required....but most people just lie about how many hours they drove and still get their license.

and too add on that...i also feel like many people are not mature enough to be driving w/o an experienced adult at the age of 16 and 3 months. don't get me wrong, many people are, but there are also many that do not understand the seriousness of driving a car.

• Members

ranalli if you're a reasonably skilled driver, who can handle driving at higher speeds than most; you must understand that you're the exception and not the rule

i always look at it this way...think of the dumbest most incompetent drivers you know, and ask yourself if their should be higher speed limits for those people?

you might be alert and reactive all the time, but a lot of drivers aren't...and it's probably safer for most of us to keep those people moving as slowly as possible

Why not just have higher standards for getting a license? If you don't want someone going 80, do you really want that same person going 70?

It reminds me of when I lived in Flagstaff, most of the roads were 25mph (including most of the ones that seemed like they should be 35mph), and yet you would still have some folks going down the road at 15mph. My thought is that if you can't handle 25, you shouldn't be driving at all.

• Members

what happens when you DO get caught with a radar detector? would it just be a fine, or would you get locked up for a lil bit? how steep of a fine?

I think it depends on the state. I believe they are actually legal in most states.

According to Wikipedia, Only Virginia (~500.00 fine?), DC, and military bases ban them completely. Illinois and New York ban them in commercial vehicles (I assume they mean those with "commercial" plates as opposed to any vehicle used for commercial purposes). Minnesota and California are okay with them as long as they aren't windshield/mirror mounted. Otherwise, they are legal throughout the states.

And it looks like VA has a movement to end the ban.

• Members

damn, this thread exploded. haha.

well, I was just being stupid. I got caught for going 75 in a 55 zone, and my ticket is $258 :eek::(

I think I can do traffic school online and keep the 4 points off my license because I think it was over 12 months ago I last had one, but still... that tacks on another $30 or so.... so basically, this about $300 ticket for me. that blows.

and about the bowl. I had completely forgot it was in there. a friend put it in the glove box when we were going to go hang out after the last class of the semester to celebrate. it was cheap. I didn't care about it being taken, I was just worried I was going to get arrested for it. luckily I didn't have anything on me other than that, and the cop was cool about it. he just made me step on it on the road and break it, and he said "that's good enough for me."

so, I'm not too pissed about the ticket, beause the situation could have been much worse... still a bummer though

• Members

Where you get burned is if they're using laser, or if they use "instant on", that is they don't turn it on until you're right next to them and don't get a chance to react.

This is becoming more and more the norm and I no longer use any form of radar detection.

Instead, I pay attention to things coming up...diligently(unlike many drivers) to what's going on around me. I look for people breaking way up ahead(they are reacting at the LAST POSSIBLE MINUTE to seeing a speed trap(so much for that extra reaction time eh??). I look for breaks in bushes on the median etc. You'll never catch all the places the police hide but by being observant you can see most before you even get to them. You have to assume that behind every nook and cranny is a cop waiting to bust you. Let someone pass you and follow them....let them get the ticket for you.

I also rarely listen to the radio or if it is on I'm barely paying attention to it.

Again, I'm not going to claim I'm the best driver in the world or anything of the sort, however, I *definitely* more alert and ready than most people on the road.

• Members

What I meant by VA drivers is that they used to be great drivers for the most part like any other state. However, the amount of speed-traps both there and in MD have increased TEN-FOLD in the past decade and I believe it has had a DIRECT correlation to how people drive. People are so conscious of not speeding...such that it's the only duty they have to fulfill on the road. Meanwhile traffic is slow as {censored}, there is no lane discipline at all, and even if you wanted to pass someone you can't.

And guess what....it's not any safer to drive there...you got a bunch of people no longer paying attention because they don't need to. Drive slow and everything will be fine..right? WRONG.

• Members

A lot of the guys in this thread sound like they dont actually enjoy dring much. Personally, I love it. I wish I had a faster car so I could break the sound barrier and smoke crack whilst I get road head. That would be teh shiz.

• Members
A lot of the guys in this thread sound like they dont actually enjoy dring much. Personally, I love it. I wish I had a faster car so I could break the sound barrier and smoke crack whilst I get road head. That would be teh shiz.

Both you and Bobby Brown, brotha. :thu:

• Members
Tickets in Florida are much more $$$ than that!

You got that right, and their getting higher too. The screwed up thing is I always see an un-uniformed cop cruising faster than me!:mad: When I do see them.

People drive even faster down here now since they raised the speed limit. Nothing to see people doing 85mph here and no cop in sight? I don't get it. Florida is becoming the state of the stupid anymore. Wasn't no more than 15-20 years ago you could actually drive and drink with an open container here with out ever getting pulled over unless you were {censored} faced. Yeah i did it too only because I could.

• Members

I wouldn't even bother with the car if I were you....just do what Rick James did and turn your residence into a full scale crack-house....it's just easier.

• Members
I wouldn't even bother with the car if I were you....just do what Rick James did and turn your residence into a full scale crack-house....it's just easier.

True but nothing can replace the feeling of hitting the crack pipe at 180mph. I can cash an entire rock of crack with one hit at that speed.

*scratches neck furiously*

:lol:

Archived