just got pulled over for speeding yet again

JoshuaLogan

• Members

i sympathize with you man......i got a $400 speeding ticket a couple months ago, still paying that mofo off...the {censored}ed up thing is that she claimed i was going 70 on a 40, when i was going no more than 50

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It reminds me of when I lived in Flagstaff, most of the roads were 25mph (including most of the ones that seemed like they should be 35mph), and yet you would still have some folks going down the road at 15mph. My thought is that if you can't handle 25, you shouldn't be driving at all.

haha, i live in flagstaff and know exactly what you mean. The police force is also absolutely ridiculous. There is Flagstaff police, NAU campus police(who can pull people over just out of campus as well), coconino county police, state troopers, and highway police. This is all in a town of 70k that is only about 8 miles across. Thats 5 forces, damn.

• Members

what happens when you DO get caught with a radar detector? would it just be a fine, or would you get locked up for a lil bit? how steep of a fine?

In Virginia detectors are illegal and the cops will confiscate your detector if they find it. There may be a fine as well but I'm not sure. Jail would be a bit extreme I think! I certainly wouldn't recommend one to a VA resident, but in Florida (and anyplace they're legal) they can save your ass if you've got the lead foot.

Most modern detectors will warn you at a pretty good distance from the source. The time when you're most vulnerable is when you're the only guy on the road. You need some cars in front of you for you to detect the bursts as their being speed-checked. Of course, someone has to be the first victim of the speed trap so there's no helping you if you're it. I guess the best advice is to just slow the {censored} down! :)

• Members
Werd. If Im on a highway, backroad, in the middle of nowhere, with no other cars on the road, you think Im driving 60 mph? {censored} that, Im at 90 mph taking curves like I own 'em pretending Im 12 years old playing Need For Speed again.
:D

+1 :D I get to do that a lot, because my house is out of town, and the roads to it are empty and have lots of bends :thu:

• Members

How fast were you going? I know the standard ticket price is $75 here if you are below 20 mph over the speed limit. I think 20-30 mph over is $95. Anything over that is considered reckless driving I believe.

It's way more than that here. It's $55 right off the bat for court fees.

• Members
A lot of the guys in this thread sound like they dont actually enjoy dring much. Personally, I love it. I wish I had a faster car so I could break the sound barrier and smoke crack whilst I get road head. That would be teh shiz.

if i wanna enjoy driving i'll get a dirtbike, another quad, or a truck that can go offroad...maybe a bike or car worth taking to a track

where it's legal to do stupid {censored} :D

• Members

This is becoming more and more the norm and I no longer use any form of radar detection.

Instead, I pay attention to things coming up...diligently(unlike many drivers) to what's going on around me. I look for people breaking way up ahead(they are reacting at the LAST POSSIBLE MINUTE to seeing a speed trap(so much for that extra reaction time eh??). I look for breaks in bushes on the median etc. You'll never catch all the places the police hide but by being observant you can see most before you even get to them. You have to assume that behind every nook and cranny is a cop waiting to bust you. Let someone pass you and follow them....let them get the ticket for you.

:thu:

Even assuming you're not looking for cops, this is the kind of observation all drivers should be doing...and should be taught when behind the wheel.

Reading the road....watching signs...looking for people near the curb who might be about to cross....using mirrors etc.

The faster you go, the more critical look ahead observation becomes.

• Members

Im a cop, if you don't want a speeding ticket its simple don't speed:idea: I won't stop anybody unless they are going 10 over and the town I work in the speed limit never really gets above 40mph. I give a lot of warnings but if your an ass or have been stopped for speeding recently or often then no break for you.

• Members

{censored}. haven't been pulled over in a year. this blows. a little over $200 ticket.

{censored}.

man i wish i could pull cops over and write them tickets when i see them speeding without thier lights on.

i see it all the time.

i think if they are going to go over the limit- they should have to put thier lights on.

i was also on my way home the other day and drove by the police station and a cop getting off work apparently as he was in his personal vehicle- just pulled out into the road and hauled ass real fast passing everyone. they think they are entitled to do whatever they want- i think they are assholes.

• Members

The simple answer is to drive reasonably and be ALERT! I've been a professional driver for close to 30 years, with well over a million miles driven. I've had some close calls, but no accidents. Sure, I might drive 5/10 miles over the limiit on a non-congested highway, but I'm always aware of what's going on well ahead of me and behind me and planning an escape route if someone does something stupid in front of me.

• Members
That's what we have here in England!
:thu:
We got speed cameras EVERYWHERE, literally, and it usually says on the road, 100 metres, or more before it "speed camera up ahead". The cameras are automatic, so if they detect you driving above the limit, it takes a photo of your car's rear, so you can see the license plate, and you get a speed ticket later, in the mail.

I say it's just simpler to slow down, especially when you are warned that there's a speed camera.

Hamer

speedometer*cough*get*a*clue*cough

• Members

There were statistics posted not to long ago on accidents on the Autobahn vs US Highways....the Autobahn was safer despite the ridiculous speeds.

You know why?

Better more competent drivers.

If you don't feel safe or are incompetent then that's fine...please stay in the right lane.

more people in us than people using the autobahn:wave:

• Members

should people have to constantly watch their mirrors for someone going 35mph+ over the speed limit?

I agree with everything else aside from this point... you are supposed to check your mirrors constantly regaurdless of what you are looking out for...

• Members

man i wish i could pull cops over and write them tickets when i see them speeding without thier lights on.

i see it all the time.

i think if they are going to go over the limit- they should have to put thier lights on.

i was also on my way home the other day and drove by the police station and a cop getting off work apparently as he was in his personal vehicle- just pulled out into the road and hauled ass real fast passing everyone. they think they are entitled to do whatever they want- i think they are assholes.

Ding Ding Ding!!! We have a winner!!

I can't tell you how many times I've been going with the flow of traffic doing roughly 75-80 in Jersey or PA and I'm PASSED by a cop doing NO LESS THAN 90 for no reason.

Does that in and of itself justify speeding?? Not necessarily....but it certainly doesn't help anyone's case here opposing either.

It's just kind of funny that you hear how *dangerous* speeding is yet the people enforcing it and many times over-enforcing it are doing the same {censored}....not to mention a little tailgating tossed in there for good measure;)

• Members

A lot of the guys in this thread sound like they dont actually enjoy dring much. Personally, I love it. I wish I had a faster car so I could break the sound barrier and smoke crack whilst I get road head. That would be teh shiz.

i have a pretty damn sporty car, and i love it. going fast on public roads is stupid, though. anything can go fast. most cars on the road could do 100 down the freeway. big deal.

fun is in accelerating and cornering when other people aren't around, or going to track days, or taking the twisty back roads instead of the highways... not pissing other drivers off or making up conspiracy theories about speed limits or hating cops or speeding from stoplight to stoplight. that's just a bunch of asshole bull{censored}. driving fast in traffic isn't enjoying driving, it's an ego problem.

• Members

more people in us than people using the autobahn:wave:

It's likely they thought of that and used a percentage, or accidents/100,000 drivers etc.

I drive fast on empty roads out of town, I keep it easy in town and during the day. But if I get a speeding fine I won't blame anyone else.

Craig

• Members

This is becoming more and more the norm and I no longer use any form of radar detection.

Instead, I pay attention to things coming up...diligently(unlike many drivers) to what's going on around me. I look for people breaking way up ahead(they are reacting at the LAST POSSIBLE MINUTE to seeing a speed trap(so much for that extra reaction time eh??). I look for breaks in bushes on the median etc. You'll never catch all the places the police hide but by being observant you can see most before you even get to them. You have to assume that behind every nook and cranny is a cop waiting to bust you. Let someone pass you and follow them....let them get the ticket for you.

I also rarely listen to the radio or if it is on I'm barely paying attention to it.

Again, I'm not going to claim I'm the best driver in the world or anything of the sort, however, I *definitely* more alert and ready than most people on the road.

Yeah, the detector can't replace good sense and your eyes, but it does add another layer of protection. It's easy for people to say just don't speed, but everyone has lapses in concentration where you look down and find you're going faster than you thought.

Certain stretches of road that seem to have slower speed limits than you'd expect, or coming down a hill are places where you may inadvertently go over the limit. Police know good places to catch people speeding. They don't care if you're a habitual speeder or if they just happened to catch you on that rare occasion where you're over the limit. You still get the ticket. The detector will help you know they're there, especially at night, if they're well hidden, in an unmarked car, or moving in traffic.

Archived