OT: Thrice-Vheissu?

Shredison

• Members

Vheissu was good, but I didn't think it was nearly as good as IOS or TAITA and I'm in the same boat as xbyanx-- I've been listening since IC. I don't know, Vheissu doesn't have nearly as many stand out and powerful moments as the previous albums though I still think it's a good solid release and look forward to what is next.

• Members

Vheissu was good, but I didn't think it was nearly as good as IOS or TAITA and I'm in the same boat as xbyanx-- I've been listening since IC. I don't know, Vheissu doesn't have nearly as many stand out and powerful moments as the previous albums though I still think it's a good solid release and look forward to what is next.

I personally think Vheissu was better in the aspect that its songs were a lot deeper and not just straight forward post-hardcore with harmonized riffs and octave chords all over the place. Although I will admit that I want to see a little more of that in the new album.

• Members

I personally think Vheissu was better in the aspect that its songs were a lot deeper and not just straight forward post-hardcore with harmonized riffs and octave chords all over the place. Although I will admit that I want to see a little more of that in the new album.

I don't know how much you're into that genre-- it's not necessarily my thing, but Thrice basically took it when very few people were doing it well and made it work on TAITA. I personally still prefer IOS, but only by a bit, and only as a guitar player-- the drum and bass work is about 1000x better on TAITA, I just happen to love some IOS songs.

I don't listen to anything that is even close to the same genre as Thrice at this point, but they certainly stood WAY far out of anything post-hardcore. Vheissu had more unique songs, but not better songs.

And for someone who thinks that TMV is just overly pretentious crap, I think the difference should be kind of clear between unique and better...

• Members

I don't know how much you're into that genre-- it's not necessarily my thing, but Thrice basically took it when very few people were doing it well and made it work on TAITA. I personally still prefer IOS, but only by a bit, and only as a guitar player-- the drum and bass work is about 1000x better on TAITA, I just happen to love some IOS songs.

I don't listen to anything that is even close to the same genre as Thrice at this point, but they certainly stood WAY far out of anything post-hardcore. Vheissu had more unique songs, but not better songs.

And for someone who thinks that TMV is just overly pretentious crap, I think the difference should be kind of clear between unique and better...

I'm very into post-hardcore, but I will hand it to Thrice, they took it and made it their own. Teppei is an extremely talented musician and Riley and Eddie really shined on TAITA. Dustin is a decent guitar player and a very versatile vocalist.

As for TMV, I loved their first two albums, but I think Amputechture is just pretentious because they just make these crazy 9 minute long songs that are completely unstructured and just annoying. They made it work on FTM, but on Amputechture, it just sucked.

• Members
As for TMV, I loved their first two albums, but I think Amputechture is just pretentious because they just make these crazy 9 minute long songs that are completely unstructured and just annoying. They made it work on FTM, but on Amputechture, it just sucked.

I like that song Tetragrammaton, but if I never heard the rest of the CD again, I don't think I'd mind. :D

• Members

I am a huge Thrice fan, I loved Illusion of Safety, and loved Artist and The Ambulance. Vheussu was cool, but it was a little harder to get into. With the previous albums I could jump to any track, and it kicked ass (and i liked evry song), Vheissu, I sort of had to listen to as an entire album - which is okay, it was just harder to get into. I hope the new album has the elements of both - some deeper songs, but the more visceral nature of Illusion.

As far as amps go, when I saw them live a couple years ago it was:

Dustin - Dual Rec
Teppei - Bogner Uber

As far as the scene, I really thought Thrice and Thursday were the original screamo bands. At least for me, I thought they really helped kickstart that scene (which did get a little played out).

As far as my first Thrice album, I saw the video for "Deadbolt" on MTV2, and as soon as it was finished, I got into my car, drove to Best buy and bought the CD.

• Members

As far as the scene, I really thought Thrice and Thursday were the original screamo bands. At least for me, I thought they really helped kickstart that scene (which did get a little played out).

Heh the screamo "scene" pretty much came and went before Thrice and Thursday even existed. I know what you mean, but I just wouldn't refer to them as "screamo."

• Members

nothing more needs to be said here. thrice is great and to try to imitate them is imposible. i was in a band that tried to copy them and it was criminal. stand and feel your worth and music box are my fav songs off of vheissu, and abolition of man is one of the best climactic songs ever. oo that reminds me i need to download some finger eleven

• Members

I am a huge Thrice fan, I loved Illusion of Safety, and loved Artist and The Ambulance. Vheussu was cool, but it was a little harder to get into. With the previous albums I could jump to any track, and it kicked ass (and i liked evry song), Vheissu, I sort of had to listen to as an entire album - which is okay, it was just harder to get into. I hope the new album has the elements of both - some deeper songs, but the more visceral nature of Illusion.

As far as amps go, when I saw them live a couple years ago it was:

Dustin - Dual Rec

Teppei - Bogner Uber

As far as my first Thrice album, I saw the video for "Deadbolt" on MTV2, and as soon as it was finished, I got into my car, drove to Best buy and bought the CD.

I've never seen Dustin use anything but Marshall, but that's just me. I knew that for a while he was touring with a backup Mesa, but I didn't think that ever was his main.

Thursday was crap, IMO, came out slightly after Thrice and had written the same exact song 13 times that wasn't that great and put it down on an album. They were hte band I pointed to that no one should be listening to as Thrice was the band they should be.

• Members

I've never seen Dustin use anything but Marshall, but that's just me. I knew that for a while he was touring with a backup Mesa, but I didn't think that ever was his main.

Dustin did use Dual Rectos during the TAITA era and late in the IOS era. He switched to Marshall right after they started recording Vheissu.

• Members

Thursday was crap, IMO, came out slightly after Thrice and had written the same exact song 13 times that wasn't that great and put it down on an album. They were hte band I pointed to that no one should be listening to as Thrice was the band they should be.

key point, "imo" ;):D

• Members

you're either in group one or group two when it comes to thrice fans. pre-TAITA or post-TAITA. this is off topic but was anybody a member of the thrice message boards? that place got so out of hand that it was closed down by the administrators (one of the Nick's).

• Members
you're either in group one or group two when it comes to thrice fans. pre-TAITA or post-TAITA. this is off topic but was anybody a member of the thrice message boards? that place got so out of hand that it was closed down by the administrators (one of the Nick's).

I like all of it. Each album serves a purpose, and each satisfies me in its own way.

Personally, I think TAITA is about perfect, and the one before and the one after are only about 80% of the way to perfection.

:thu:

• Members

I disagree. I enjoy the whole catalogue and I wouldn't have liked them making music any other way-- when bands release the same album twice it sucks majorly.

I'm just hoping that Vheissu isn't the album where they've transitioned too far from what made them good and instead is the album where they started exploring something new and then find a way to perfect that something new into a far better album the next go around. Vheissu was good, but it wasn't a great album, even for what it was going after. Believe me, I've grown out of the old Thrice style a while ago along with Thrice, and I think the direction they chose is the one that I'll most enjoy/appreciate, it's just I don't think Vheissu was a defining album of that sound, where as I felt IOS and TAITA were both that good.

Dustin's vocals are at their best, and the song writing has stayed very interesting structurally, but I felt that they lost their power to produce stand out moments on Vheissu.

For what it's worth, The Earth Will Shake is probably my favorite song on the album. I think it's incredibly powerful and dynamic.

Archived